Main Menu

Nikolai Dante The Courtship of Jena Makarov

Started by Goaty, 20 June, 2006, 05:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

I enjoy Nikolai Dante The Courtship of Jena Makarov graphic book, as last two books The Romanov Dynasty and The Great Game.

Those last two programmes of this The Courtship of Jena Makarov were first 2000AD I buy! And how I hook into 2000AD and Nikolai Dante himself!

I enjoy all about him in all those books, but I can?t wait in Sept for the true Nikolai Dante! Or some of you prefer Nikolai Romanov! Yes it is Nikolai Dante: Tsar Wars!
It will involve everything as it 250 pages!

No-one talks about great times with Nikolai Dante, but current stories was really disappointed as nothing exciting but he will be back in Prog 1500, would expect something bigger? What you think???

Goaty

scutfink

Maybe he needs a new woman in his life, something to cheer him up...

Don't get me wrong, I appriciate the way he's changed and grown as a character. But on the rare occasions when he does act like the old Dante, I don't know, it just seems like his heart's not in it...

'Course, if anyone has reason to be morose it's Dante, he's watched his world turn to shit over the last few years, and he's gone to some pretty dark places along the way. I just wish we could have more of the happy go lucky antics (And the Simon Fraser artwork) of the old days...

WoD

Ahh...Fraser...twas great art (and some of it is on my wall).  I loved the early design work on Dante, the art / story combined to create a totally involving piece of work.

The more recent stuff doesn't do it for me in the same way.

I would love to see a return to a more Tsar centred storyline...and a change in artist.

Radbacker

I think he'll eventually end up toppling the Tsar, he said he'd do it and he's starting to build his army of theives that he promised so I'm thinking we're starting to move into Tsar territories again(please keep in mind I haven't read the last story yet so I dont know if anything significant happened in it).  I would like to see more Fraser art on it too, nothing wrong with Burns stuff(in fact it quite suits the saucier stories he certainly draws the female form well) but Fraser was co designer and his tech designs look so cool.

CU Radbacker

Floyd-the-k

I'd like a bit more 'happy-go-lucky' stuff too. The terrible stuff that happens to Dante works brilliantly with the chirpy rogue bit.
  Mind you, when he eventually topples the Tsar,what happens then?

WoD

Mind you, when he eventually topples the Tsar,what happens then?

SOMETHING BAD I expect!

Burns' art just doesn't do it for me, too messy, doesn't convey enough of the emotions, and is very samey.  And people could afford to buy Simon Fraser's art...

IndigoPrime

:: when he eventually topples the Tsar,what happens then?

It ends. Dante was always supposed to be a finite series, after all.

I, Cosh

Until last week the only Dante I'd read had been the recent piratey stuff, but I finally decided to pick up the first GN to see what all the fuss was about.

It's absolutely brilliant stuff. The way it manages to combine action, humour, sci-fi, daftness and hints of something more serious under the surface is quite extaordinary. At first I was not at all impressed with the artwork, but on a second reading I found myself more and more absorbed by the detail in the backdrops, although I still thing some of the figures are pretty ropey.

I'll definitely be picking up the other two volumes next time I'm in town and I'm looking forward to seeing Dante leading his rag-tag pirate army against the Imperial fleet sometime soon.
We never really die.

Radbacker

Cosh, you still got one of my favorite comic bits ever coming up and in my opinion one of the best final pages ever produced in a comic.
I believe its at the end of The Great Game I think(might pull out all me old ones a do a re-read of all Dante up till now, get me in the mood for the next arc).

CU Radbacker

Goaty

my fave bit is the last page of Nikolai Dante The Courtship of Jena Makarov... same as first time see it in 2000AD, as when Jena Makarov walking off, Nikolai looks sad.... (in 2000AD or soon Tsar Wars book) then next page which i never expect that new different Nikolai Dante in battleground!

Radbacker

"Hero's be Damned"

"Romanov, Nikolai Romanov"

CU Radbacker

GermanAndy

It is remarkable how much Dante as a character changed. He sure lost some of the fun. And after Tsar Wars it would be not very convincing otherwise.

This is a series which should a have a definite end.

WoD

scutfink

...But let's not drag it on for too long eh?