Main Menu

28 jours plus tard

Started by Goaty, 29 March, 2007, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

as french in 28 days later....

Saw this in Darkhorizons.com.

Somewhat optimistic director Danny Boyle is already eyeing a second "28 Days Later" sequel in which the zombies would attack France reports Moviehole. Hmmm, lets see how 'Weeks' goes first.

Buttonman

11th May opening for '28 weeks later' and there has been hardly any advance word. I saw a poster at the cinema yesterday but have yet to see a trailer there.

Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine' on the other hand is becoming old hat before it even arrives on 6th April.

ming

Watched the trailer for this the other day.  Looks okay and suitably sequal-ish, but could go either way.  Any advance reports on this?  I'm looking forward to Sunshine, though.

Link: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_atomic/28weekslater/" target="_blank">28 Weeks Later trailer

Goaty

i like this trailer, looks more action than 1st film, and that brave solider who wink... good iconic image of the film.

Buttonman

Saw this today and although not quite as good as the original it's well worth a look.

The pre-title sequence is the best bit with a cosy hiding Begbie quickly on the run. He winds up in the reboot area of London and is soon reunited with his kids who were on a school trip to Spain when things kicked off (I only got to go as far as York so I'd of been fucked).

The plot keys (don't go there, condition 'red', etc.) are quickly established and it's no surprise that things go tits up about 45 minutes in.

The action sequences are well done and the same rising score from the first is used to great effect.

Super spoilers follow - meant for once viewed debate - don't read 'til seen!

I have some small gripe with the Americans and their flimsy ring of steel, but then they shouldn't have employed Stringer Bell out of 'The Wire' to take charge.

Plot holes include Begbie's 'symtomless carrier' wife - why didn't the infected rip her to bits as he did later? Maybe they had some advance lab results.

Begbie's trumpeted access all areas pass was a bit of a MacGuffin too, and how come he could still use it Rage infected? He also tracks down his kids like a blood (thirsty) hound.

They also said the virus was beaten as it failed to cross species - it came from apes in the first place!

The downbeat ending proved that rules are made to be followed! If 28 Months later is to be done it'll be a 'Day of the Dead' style last stand!

Keef Monkey

Just got back from this and really enjoyed it(if that's the right word)! Didn't expect much, mainly because the inclusion of US marines in the trailer had me worried it would be big glossy hollywood cheesefest but I was very very wrong.

It's every bit as, if not more brutal and grim than the first. Most of the excitement for me came from actually seeing an outbreak, effectively giving a rough idea of what the 28 days were like that got skipped in the first one. Whoever's done the score has obviously taken to heart the Godspeed You Black Emperor tune from the first movie as most of the music has that same Mogwai style intensity which really helps to make for a gripping movie, and likewise the director has stuck to the original's style enough that you can barely tell it's a different guy. Only gripe was that it didn't really seem to come to a very satisfying climax in the end, for me it seemed to just stop but that doesn't detract too much from what came before. Very pleasantly surprised with this and will most likely be watching it again at some point.

Keef Monkey

I'm suprised more people here aren't interested in this movie, I thought there were a few horror buffs on the board!

Ignatzmonster

Saw it the first day it came out, so you're not mistaken. I liked it. It took on more subject matter than it could handle, but I always admire that in a sequel. I wish they'd bothered less with the kids. They were the least interesting of the character stories available. The sniper and doctor, and the husband and wife bits were the parts that made the movie for me. "Praise conflict!" to quote The Roach.

Peter Wolf

Watched this last night then watched it again immediatly afterwards.

It was very very good.The firebombing of The Isle of Dogs was very good.Some terrible scenes in it.This film gave a good insight into the virus.

Some plot holes : Why was Begbies wife who was infected not kept under  much much tighter quarantine and security than she was? With something that infectious you would think she would have been.

The Begbie character became a bit of a pain in the end and i would have enjoyed blowing him away myself.I mean fancy kissing someone who you knew was infected? how stupid.Then despite being infected manages to be the main protagonist for spreading the infection.

The film had a very downbeat nihilistic ending as well that was not explained at all.Obviously the infection spread but it was not explained exactly how.It was left to your imagination which was a shame.This slightly ruined an otherwise very good film.I guess that the kid who was infected became fully infected sometime after being rescued.

The scene where the infected get chopped to bits by the helicopter was very very good.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

opaque

The Americans didn't seem to know where the virus had come from in the first place so the cross-species bit isn't an error.

I don't think the bloke knew his wife was a carrier, he just knew she was still alive. How he just walked in, pass-card or not is stupid, as is all their 'security'. Theres either a threat or there isn't, what they had set up made it look more like a training exercise. This point is true with other movies, if you're expecting large number of the enemy set up those massive gun systems that fire the fletchette round or some automated gun systems, claymores, mines and barbed wire not 6 guys with rifles and someone on a singular amchine gun post!!!

The infection spread because the boy had the same genetic fault as his mum and had been infected in, I think the tube station, his sister checks him over and lies to him that he's ok, so he becomes a carrier, they fly off to France and through his infected saliva, blood, breath? he would have infected everyone he came across, including the pilot). It only takes a couple of infected people to make a pandemic

I always thought it was wholly impossible that it wouldn't have spread outside our borders.

Peter Wolf

Thanks for the helpful post.

Another couple of things : when Begbies wife is bought into the so called isolation unit clearly in a state ,the doctor asks "have you been in contact with the infected?" when there are bite marks visible.She either didnt see the bite marks or she thought she practices self harm instead.

The isle of dogs was a bit like a holiday camp or an open prison.

I think the infection was spread from the blood that was splattered on the window inside the helicopter.Having a boat would be a good idea if the whole of europe became infected.Sit it out for 30 weeks out at sea or just off shore.You could at least eat fish if supplies were a bit low.

Also how is it that the infected seem to know exactly where the uninfected are heading at any given time?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Eric Plumrose

>> I always thought it was wholly impossible that it wouldn't have spread outside our borders.

I'm not so sure. The sex-starved soldiers in 28 Days Later are slightly less implausible if the Rage virus has spread overseas and, yes, it does heighten the sense of the apocalypse; but the Rage virus takes effect instantaneously so I can't see how it could get beyond the UK's border controls, less so by people infected and able to control a 'plane, ferry, or train.

Having said that, however, the introdution by the sequel of carriers and Don's bloodhound sense make the spread overseas more possible, I s'pose.

Anyway, the opening sequence of 28 Weeks Later is fucking brill.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JTurner

I was walking to work on the Isle of Dogs the morning after I saw this film. It was strange to think that I had just seen it firebombed the night before.

opaque

but the Rage virus takes effect instantaneously so I can't see how it could get beyond the UK's border controls, less so by people infected and able to control a 'plane, ferry, or train

Well they don't need to control one, just be on it. Or not even the 'alive' zombies just their blood (even if not airborne). That helicopter was covered in it, we know it can cross species into animal carriers which would be easy enough as well.
And we did see zombies managing to walk in the river so who knows what else could happen.

Personally I'd still like to know the story of what happened in the UK in the original outbreak. The GN doesn't tell you a great deal.

paulvonscott

Well, I've arrived late to the party.  I did want to see the film, but had my reservations and eventually decided to wait and see it when I could rather than seek it out.

Much like everyone else I thought the best bit was the first bit.  It seemed a little plot lite later on, but I thought it was a half decent film, especially when you compare it to no-brainers like the Resident Evils of this world.

Agree with what has already been said about tracker Begbie and the music.

I'd certainly like to see a French film, made by French filmakers.  Ditto anywhere else, as I think Danny Cannon saw it as a franchise thing with each country making their own version.

Not much new to add really.  Hoped for more, but thought what I got was okay.

I would have thought the Americans best strategy would have been to isolate the individual city blocks.  Make them very defensible, and sit tight if anything went off.

Thought there were some good points made about how hard it is to tell the good guys from the bad in an urban war, and how it all can descend rapidly into chaos.