Main Menu

Ephram Fargo?

Started by judgeurko, 05 September, 2015, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgeurko

I have only just read Origins but am curious about the mention of Ephram Fargo. I assumed this hitherto unknown character would have played some part in the story but didn't turn up at all. Wonder what the point of adding him to the mythology of Dredd's world was really? Other than paralleling the Joe Dredd/Rico Dredd idea of one good one evil.

JayzusB.Christ

I think he existed just to throw a red herring into dress's quest in Origins. What surprised me at the time was that everyone seemed to have forgotten that there was a Fargo sister too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: judgeurko on 05 September, 2015, 12:45:01 PM
I have only just read Origins but am curious about the mention of Ephram Fargo. I assumed this hitherto unknown character would have played some part in the story but didn't turn up at all. Wonder what the point of adding him to the mythology of Dredd's world was really? Other than paralleling the Joe Dredd/Rico Dredd idea of one good one evil.

To me Ephram was introduced as a plot turn so Dredd could have an extended family of mutant cousins that would add another dimension to his personal life and affect his relationship, as a Judge, to the mutant problem.

I never took the twin thing to be as binary an interpretation as good and evil - they just disagreed.

TordelBack

Quote from: judgeurko on 05 September, 2015, 12:45:01 PMOther than paralleling the Joe Dredd/Rico Dredd idea of one good one evil.

Well that's not a small thing - especially as the 'followers' of a particular vision of Eustace were clearly baddies, while the easy-going descendants of Ephram were good hearted family folk. The point isn't that one of the twins was or wasn't 'evil', it was how their legacy is interpreted and articulated that mattered.

And sister Arden isn't really relevant to the story - her fate already being known.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 September, 2015, 02:42:24 PM
I think he existed just to throw a red herring into dress's quest in Origins. What surprised me at the time was that everyone seemed to have forgotten that there was a Fargo sister too.

*DREDD's quest. Forking autocorrode
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgeurko

Interesting replies. It would be good if he made a return somehow as some future Big Bad for Dredd. Often Wagner seems to create characters that return many years later.

Richard

There's no reason why he should be a bad guy. We've seen his corpse. And if it wasn't rely his corpse and he's still alive then he'd be 130 years old.

Dark Jimbo

Joe's hit the nail on the head, for me - Ephram allowed the introduction of the Fargo clan who provided lots of interesting moral quandries for Dredd (leading in time to the mutant vote and the Tour of Duty years).
@jamesfeistdraws

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 September, 2015, 06:02:27 PM
Ephram allowed the introduction of the Fargo clan who provided lots of interesting moral quandries for Dredd (leading in time to the mutant vote and the Tour of Duty years).

It also brilliantly played-off Bob Booth's ill-treatment and manipulation of the mutants and Fargo's last words in Origins - not that Dredd began to re-think the democratic issue again but rather the integration and assimilation of mutants into the Justice system which is a somewhat more frightening and Dreddian spin on things.