Main Menu

Elseworlds

Started by TordelBack, 17 December, 2018, 09:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

If you're not watching the current Arrow/Flash/Supergirl Elseworlds DC TV crossover,  you're missing a trick. Last week Superman and Amazo,  tonight Batwoman and Dr Destiny. Thank grud I have kids to put me on to this stuff, it's proper superheroing. No prior knowledge required,  just enjoy.

Professor Bear

Enjoying it overall so far.  I've still the Supergirl installment to go, but the Flash ep has some pretty shameless cribbing from Marvel and Image crossovers of yesteryear, in particular Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate X-Men's Jumping The Shark (the Flash ep even goes so far as to lift individual scenes as well as the body-swap premise) and the Book Of Destiny McGuffin and how it affects reality is lifted straight from the Alan Moore-penned Judgment Day (though it was recycled many times since - particularly in DC's Brave and the Bold).
I liked some of the character moments, especially "what are we doing in your secret prison?", but Superman was wasted, which is at least consistent with his appearances in Supergirl.
The Arrow ep had a few duff notes, particularly the charisma-free Batwoman, her underwhelming Batman Beyond cosplay efforts, and the lazy backdoor pilot infodump setting up Rubbish Gotham and what seems to be the sequel series to the early 2000s Birds Of Prey tv show that nobody wanted.  I actually cringed when Kate said "I have a guy here in the building what is good with the computers" - don't ever change the format of your superhero shows, CW.

These crossovers are usually just a load of clattering and DUN DUN DUN DUN music stabs, and I guess this is no exception really, but I did like seeing 1990s Flash again, albeit briefly.  Also spotted Smallville's Stargirl and Green Arrow in the prologue.

TordelBack

Agree with all that. Still getting a kick out the sheer joyous silliness of it, especially the shameless and shallow plundering. I don't really follow the DC shows, the kids watch them so they are often on in the background, but there's a real sense of fun here, and just seeing the two Supers and bodyswapped Arrow and Flash battling Amazo on my telly is enough.

Also quite like Hoechlin's  Superman, not least the surprisingly good Clark disguise.

sheridan

Have only recently started watching DC TV series - there's a lot out there - approximately 450 TV episodes, if you count all the series that have been tied in via crossovers and guest appearances.

As is my wont, I've put together a spreadsheet to help me keep track...

Tiplodocus

Pleasr tell me Tom Welling is going to get a chance to put on the suit. 200+ episodes of SMALLVILLE only for them to bottle it!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Alas no, but on visiting Smallville they did play the eponymous teem-toon, which was fun.

Professor Bear

Quote from: sheridan on 18 December, 2018, 11:22:06 AMAs is my wont, I've put together a spreadsheet to help me keep track...

You forgot to add the 1990s Flash tv show, which now retroactively counts.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 December, 2018, 12:17:25 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 18 December, 2018, 11:22:06 AMAs is my wont, I've put together a spreadsheet to help me keep track...

You forgot to add the 1990s Flash tv show, which now retroactively counts.

No forgetfulness involved - as you say - retroactively!