Main Menu

Scalp-botting

Started by Tjm86, 22 January, 2021, 02:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Saw this article on the Grauniad.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/22/scalper-bots-uk-xbox-series-x-playstation-5

TBH I'd never really given it much thought but it does make sense.  Particularly since the likes of Amazon and eBay are in such a dominant position.

It really feels more and more like the promises of the early days of the internet are being distorted by gaming, to the detriment of far too many.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 January, 2021, 02:14:36 PM
It really feels more and more like the promises of the early days of the internet are being distorted by gamingcapitalism, to the detriment of far too many.
FTFY
We never really die.

sintec

First time I encountered this kind of thing was when trying to get a driving license. There was a long waiting list for slots but once you'd booked one you could swap it for a cancellation. Those were generally grabbed up very quickly by people running a bot that was available (for a small fee) online. You stood very little chance of ever getting a cancellation slot without using the bot.

It felt bad but I eventually gave in and paid up because I couldn't face the delay involved in sitting in the queue (it took me a couple of attempts to pass).

Completely unsurprised that people are exploiting the same thing to scalp high demand goods.

Dandontdare

reminds me of a workmate who would book every Friday off weeks in advance, just in case he wanted a long weekend, and then cancel each one on the Thursday if he didn't, freeing up leave days which he'd then book for the following months - this meant that nobody could ever get a full week as there was never any availability on Fridays

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: I, Cosh on 22 January, 2021, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 January, 2021, 02:14:36 PM
It really feels more and more like the promises of the early days of the internet are being distorted by gaming capitalism corporatism, to the detriment of far too many.
FTFY

FTFYB

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sintec

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 January, 2021, 05:27:23 PM
reminds me of a workmate who would book every Friday off weeks in advance, just in case he wanted a long weekend, and then cancel each one on the Thursday if he didn't, freeing up leave days which he'd then book for the following months - this meant that nobody could ever get a full week as there was never any availability on Fridays

What a dick. Surprised the management let him get away with that long term.

TordelBack

I worked with one of those too. My version would then spend the Friday vocally being a martyr about being too busy to take her day off, and despite coming in to work up to 2 hours after most of the staff would hail each person as they left at the correct time with "another half-day, is it?".

Thank you for dredging up that memory, DDD, this is genuinely the first time I've felt okay about being an underemployed waste of space in about a year.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 January, 2021, 10:55:47 PM

I worked with one of those too. My version would then spend the Friday vocally being a martyr about being too busy to take her day off, and despite coming in to work up to 2 hours after most of the staff would hail each person as they left at the correct time with "another half-day, is it?".

Thank you for dredging up that memory, DDD, this is genuinely the first time I've felt okay about being an underemployed waste of space in about a year.

Terrible management. I've seen people made to take their holidays. Nips this kind of thing in the bud.
Lock up your spoons!