Main Menu

James Gunn's THE SUICIDE SQUAD

Started by Tiplodocus, 27 March, 2021, 10:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I know it's only a trailer but frankly this looks hilarious.

https://youtu.be/r41n7dOcEf0

Watched it last night and I still can't stop laughing at the "dicks" exchange.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

I have faith in James Gunn. God, I hope we can go back to cinemas at some point this year.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

That looks utterly magnificent. Should I risk a look at the previous one first, despite it looking so shite I never bothered, or is there any point at all?  Same question re: Birds of Prey. I've never warmed to the Harley character outside of her Batman TAS origins.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 March, 2021, 11:27:16 AM
Should I risk a look at the previous one first, despite it looking so shite I never bothered, or is there any point at all?

No the first one is poo - this one looks a lot better and I don't really like superhero movies. Mind there seesm to be a LOT of people in it! And Starro is the big bad (?) that's interesting.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 March, 2021, 11:27:16 AM
Should I risk a look at the previous one first, despite it looking so shite I never bothered, or is there any point at all?  Same question re: Birds of Prey. I've never warmed to the Harley character outside of her Batman TAS origins.

Suicide Squad is horrible. After that trailer with the Queen soundtrack came out, and everyone said "Hey! This might be fun — at last, a DC movie that's FUN!", Warner had the whole movie (by all accounts some grim and angsty psycho nonsense as envisaged by Ayer) recut to try and make it, well, fun. The result is a schizophrenic mess that isn't fun, doesn't make a lick of sense, and sports that universally horrible aesthetic that plagues DC/Warner movies.

I actually quite liked Birds of Prey. I have little or no familiarity with the comics so I have no real investment in the original version(s) but, despite being a bit shapeless, is quite good fun. The cast in general, and Robbie in particular, are great. The action is low-stakes and well-staged, and it manages to deploy a colour palette not entirely dominated by grey, teal, mud and the occasional bit of fire.

Worse ways to dispose of an hour and fifty minutes, IMO. It also inspired m'lovely wife to replicate Harley's beloved breakfast sandwich, which was an unexpected bonus. :)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

moogie101

I enjoyed the start of the first suicide squad film when it was introducing the characters, really felt like it was going to be a different take. But then it just became every other superhero movie, very disappointing.

Birds of Prey is OK, clearly dc trying to copy the success of deadpool.

This trailer looks fun, especially Killer Shark.

Rara Avis

King Shark?

Was not impressed by this trailer at all, seems like a remake of GoTG with DC characters.

Absolutely still going to watch it.

Bolt-01

Quote from: Rara Avis on 28 March, 2021, 11:17:23 AM
King Shark?
Was not impressed by this trailer at all, seems like a remake of GoTG with DC characters.
Absolutely still going to watch it.

In all fairness I reckon that the GOTG fillums are exactly what DC want for this and the reason for hiring Gunn.

Rara Avis

Yeah for sure that's why they brought Whedon in for the Justice League whatever the hell that was.

Just wish DC had the same vision and committment to that vision that Marvel had for it's cinematic universe.

I watched the Snyder cut recently and they mentioned about how Diana had been hiding in the shadows for 100 years but then her sequel movie is set in 1984 with some world affecting action. There's clearly no one keeping track of this.

Tiplodocus

Well that was tons of fun. A few longeurs (there's a sequence which is entertaining enough but very obviously "We need more Harley!") but funny, satisfying and a great cast.

Possibly the most violent movie I've ever seen. But violent in a funny way.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Monarch

Am i the only weird person who was thinking [spoiler]Holy shit thats how killing time ended when the rats were eating starro from the inside?[/spoiler]

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 March, 2021, 11:48:33 AM

It also inspired m'lovely wife to replicate Harley's beloved breakfast sandwich, which was an unexpected bonus. :)

:o
DDT did a job on me

milstar

I will definitely not gonna see this. Mostly because Gunn's creepy antics outside movies. And the fact they made it for adults, where these kind of movies should be at best rated 12 (Pg-13 in US).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pauljholden

Really enjoyed it, I have some minor quibbles, to wit:
[spoiler]
I'd like to have seen some of these weirdos use whatever power it was that they were supposed to have, TDK - whose power is pretty clearly seen- we see him using it, but the thinker - who's in most of the movie - even though he has those doodahs on his head we never really see him being mad clever (remove the doohickeys and he's just any old mad bloke...)

Similarly, javelin we don't get to see his powers (or his skill) at all.

[/spoiler]

Art

Surprise number of 2000ad names in the "thanks" section. Rob Williams has a pretty long (and good) run on it  so that's unsurprising, and apparently Wagner and Grant created Ratcatcher so that's why they're in there, not sure what Bolland and Gibbons did.