Main Menu

A novel idea (ho ho)

Started by Funt Solo, 01 June, 2005, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Okay, you all remember the comic versions of Harry Harrison's "The Stainless Steel Rat" novels, published in the hallowed pages of 2000AD in the 100-500 era?  I mention these as a precedent.

Well, how about comic versions of some of Iain M. Banks books?  Specifically, I'm thinking about his 'Culture' novels, although he has written other sci-fi books that aren't set in that particular universe.

That's it:  that's my suggestion.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DavidXBrunt

And it's not an entirely awful one. Though I think I'd prefer 'The Adventures of Lucifer Box' adapted from the novels of Mark Gatiss.

longmanshort

I certainly think Consider Phelbus and Look to Windward would make excellent comic books - would need some pretty heavy editing and revision to squeeze them into regular episodes (assuming you'd go for something like the Meg). Although a TPB would give it space to breath, I actually like the idea of authors returning to the work alongside a comics writers to adapt it to the genre and turn it into regular episodes ... but you're right, Banks has the kind of imagination and writing style that would be rather epic comics!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Funt Solo

Yes, I think "Consider Phlebus" would work well:  it has an episodic format already.  Plus, a lot of the imagery is on a grand scale, less to do with what people are thinking and more to do with what is physically happening to them.

That would lend itself well to a comic format.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dudley

Bloody excellent idea.

2 questions: would Banks agree to this, and can 2000AD afford it?

Richmond Clements

I reckon Iain would think it a laugh. He doesn't seem to be too precious about his work.

Affording him though, would be another matter entirely.

Carlsborg Expert

Funny to be talking of Consider Phlebus,here and to have spoken of it recently when I dont get much chance to talk on this sort of subject.

Can it be cleared up that the Orbitals are actually Discs with an extensive amount of water in them floating in space with their own inbuilt gravities?Please.

Hairy Wummain too.

Richmond Clements

The orbitals in Phlebas and in Look to Windward are not discs, but huge rings, with the inhabitants living on the 'inside' surface of the ring.
There may well be disc shaped orbitals, but off the top of my head, I can't think of one. But if you want, I could ask over on the Banks forum for you?

longmanshort

AFAIK they're massive rings, in the style of Larry Niven's Ringworld. Not spotted any discs or owt ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Carlsborg Expert

To varify it Rac,if you could.

Yes they are rings.A bit like Halo's hoop.But doesn't it ring a massive ocean of water too?

Funt Solo

What they said:  rings, which don't need a solid core for gravity, because they're spinning.

The one in "Look To Winward" is described in some pretty exacting detail, and we even get a glimpse inside the senses of the Mind that caretakes the whole thing.

(I'm halfway through "The Algebraist", by the by, and it's wonderful.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

http://library.thinkquest.org/C003763/images/habitat/orbital.jpg" />
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Carlsborg Expert

woh thas preddy figgin intriguin.

Richmond Clements

Yes they are rings.A bit like Halo's hoop.But doesn't it ring a massive ocean of water too?
Indeed, and the whole Halo set-up owes more than a nod to the Culture novels.

Like Fate said, check out Windward for loads of stuff on the orbitals.

I'm halfway through "The Algebraist", by the by, and it's wonderful.

Yes it is.

Funt Solo

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1857231384.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg" />
++ A-Z ++  coma ++