Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

If Brett/Holmes is on the box it doesn't matter how many times I've seen the episode before, I'll watch it. Sheer brilliance.

Dunk!

Lionel Jeffries - who always seem to be an OAP even in the 60's.

First Man on the Moon is a fav.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8524335.stm
"Trust we"

Bolt-01

Aw No! Here's hoping that The amazing Mr Lumsden gets shown then.

Dunk!

First Men in The Moon sorry.
"Trust we"

CraveNoir

Yup, Lionel Jeffries was a year younger than Dick Van Dyke when he played the grandad in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

It's sad news. I always found something deeply likeable about him as he always had an eccentric charisma on screen and I'd check every few months so see if he was still with us.

I think I'll have to watch The Colditz Story tonight, and Murder Ahoy! where he meets his match in good old Margaret Rutherford.

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Kerrin

Really sad news.

Matt Timson

I know it's very late, Jared, but I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad.
Pffft...

Batman's Superior Cousin

Alexander Haig - Former US Army general who served as the United States Secretary of State under President Ronald Reagan and White House Chief of Staff under Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.
On February 20, 2010, Haig died from complications from a staphylococcal infection after being hospitalized at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore on January 28, 2010.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Dandontdare

Not going to be shedding a lot of tears over that one...

JayzusB.Christ

Eugene Lambert, Irish puppeteer extraordinaire.  Not familiar to anyone outside of Ireland probably, but anyone who was a kid in the 70s and early 80s here will remember him. Met him twice, as a kid and an adult, lovely guy.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

House of Usher

A bit late I know, but I was quite moved when I heard on Radio 4 in the car at 4.00pm on Friday that Lionel Jeffries had passed on. Not because at 83 he hadn't had a bad innings, but because I had a great affection for the man, his performances and his films, and because The Railway Children never ceases to make me cry. It's Jenny Agutter's last scene at the end, and the anticipation of it, that always turns me into a gibbering wreck. It was lovely hearing Sally Thomsett's reminiscences on the radio.

Lionel Jeffries was a super chap without whom British film would be missing many wonderful character performances and one of the most satisfying and moving of family films.
STRIKE !!!

JayzusB.Christ

Nice! (Helpful exposition - the dog's name was Judge.  He had the decency to make Judge talk when I met him a few years ago.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 23 February, 2010, 01:18:23 PM
It's Jenny Agutter's last scene at the end, and the anticipation of it, that always turns me into a gibbering wreck.

Mmmm, that's a killer line alright.