Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

The November Man (2014)

The world of espionage has never more complex, yet so simplified in this Brosnan's mature, and moderately budgeted spy flick. I like to think Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy did it more effectively. Also, I like to think this movie is how Pierce's Bond would be 10, 15, or 20 twenty years after. Cantankerous and grumpy. The biggest flaw in the film is that it tried to say too much (see Tinker Tailor, SOldier, Spy), yet it never steered away from a typical action chase blockbuster movie. Mostly shot and set in Belgrade, Serbia (that also dubs for Moscow), Pierce is a retired CIA agent brought in the streets of Belgrade in hopes to find a girl (Olga Kurylenko) who is said to have incriminating photos of a former Russian general, who is a step away from being elected as president in his homeland. It also involves CIA complicity in crimes committed by Russians against the Chechnya population. Along the way, Pierce (and later, with Olga) have to evade general men and CIA agents, one of them being his former protege, and the relationship between the two marks the significant portion of the film. The November Man is a movie that however has no clear, clean-cut good guys and bad guys. Almost everyone here does something if not dirty, then illegal. In a scene that I don't know why it was shot and put in the movie as it does nothing to advance the plot, Pierce eerily tortures his former's protege (for nothing) one night-stand. If anything, I presume that is put in the movie just to show that Pierce's character is nothing like a hero, Bond for example. On a brighter note, numerous action scenes are solidly shot and if anything, are the most positive aspect of the film. Muddled, but stupid storyline and bland, by the book characters certainly are not.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

The Mighty Ducks 2

This is not a very good film.  I didn't actually watch it all the way through because it turns out I wasn't in the mood for awful, self-satisfied, smug American exceptionalism masquerading as an underdog story.  In many ways it undermines the messages of the first film.  It's also so many degrees more stupid and nonsensical.  I also don't find villainous Icelandics as being all together credible.  They aren't adjusting their collars or anything.

Still, it's not as bad as The Mighty Ducks 3.  I watched that once and once was too many times.

Tomorrow I might rewatch Lego Batman because I watched a YouTube video celebrating how delightfully gay it is and it reminded me of the fun I had watching it.

dweezil2

Took a punt on the film Vavarium last night and so glad I did.

Part quirky and surreal Charlie Kaufman relationship psychodrama, with a dash of David lynch thrown in for good measure.
Ultimately the film, that comes across as a Twilight Zone episode stretched to feature length, doesn't quite land its ending, but the excellent performance from the always watchable Imogen Poots ensures that it is never less than compelling.
One of the scariest child performances in recent memory too.
Director Lorcan Finnegan certainly marks himself out as one to watch in the future.

It also begs the question of why Imogen Poors isn't a bigger star, though I'm rather glad she isn't if she chooses more interesting and challenging roles like this over mainstream Hollywood pap.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

pictsy

The Lego Batman Movie

Adorable.

von Boom

Coming 2 America. Woof. I had only moderate praise for the original, but this adds nothing to its predecessor and in places detracts from it. The only real laughs were when Murphy and Hall put on the make up again and let themselves go. And there wasn't much of that. I think Murphy should just enjoy his money and move on from acting.

Funt Solo

Quote from: von Boom on 07 March, 2021, 12:51:54 AM
I think Murphy should just enjoy his money and move on from acting.

Dolemite Is My Name got very good reviews.

------------

USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage is an entire two-hour movie that fails to be as compelling as Quint's four-minute monologue about it in Jaws. Nicholas Cage doesn't even do any of his schtick - he just plays the part like any normal actor. Watch Jaws instead.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 March, 2021, 01:33:23 AM

USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage is an entire two-hour movie that fails to be as compelling as Quint's four-minute monologue about it in Jaws. Nicholas Cage doesn't even do any of his schtick - he just plays the part like any normal actor. Watch Jaws instead.

The other option would be Mission of the Shark made years earlier with a far less well-known cast.  Also a hell of a lot better for my money.

pictsy

I think Eddie Murphy should have left acting decades ago.  I actually thought he had until I heard about Dolemite and Coming 2 America.

I remembered enjoying Eddie Murphy as a kid, but when I revisit his films now I find him obnoxious and extremely mean spirited in his humour.  I've also never seen him put in an impressive performance.  I guess it could be worse.  It could be his music career we're talking about.

wedgeski

Quote from: pictsy on 07 March, 2021, 09:49:31 AM
I think Eddie Murphy should have left acting decades ago.  I actually thought he had until I heard about Dolemite and Coming 2 America.

I remembered enjoying Eddie Murphy as a kid, but when I revisit his films now I find him obnoxious and extremely mean spirited in his humour.  I've also never seen him put in an impressive performance.  I guess it could be worse.  It could be his music career we're talking about.
He is unassailably good in both Trading Places and 48 Hours, his two best films IMO. If you haven't seen them, I humbly suggest adding them to your list.

milstar

Eddie has been my childhood hero. Definitely because of Beverly Hills Cop. Among his other movies. I liked Metro, too. Despite being an atypical film for him.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: wedgeski on 07 March, 2021, 11:57:11 AM
He is unassailably good in both Trading Places and 48 Hours, his two best films IMO. If you haven't seen them, I humbly suggest adding them to your list.

I have seen them both more than once.  I agree they are his best films (that I've seen, at least).  I still don't rate Eddie Murphy's acting.  The dregs of his career are of no surprise to me.

CalHab

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 March, 2021, 01:33:23 AM
Dolemite Is My Name got very good reviews.

Deservedly so. It's excellent.

pictsy

Hot Rod

An odd comedy that actually made me laugh.  Out loud.  More than once.  That's a rarity these days.  An amateur dare devil needs to raise money to save his dying step-father so he can beat him up in a fight.  I think it is largely lampooning the 80's.  It's one of those odd ball comedies.  I like it.  It's got a number of funny jokes.

repoman

PG Psycho Goreman

Certainly entertaining and different.  The production values are lacking but the film leans into that quite a bit.  Like Sharknado but without the rubbishness.

Doesn't nail any particular aspect but is a lot of fun and well worth one watch.

milstar

Freebie and the Bean (1974)

Precursor to the buddy cop films of the 80s. From today's POV, this film definitely looks dated, as it is very much a 1970s film. Which involves heavily politically incorrect humor, rooted in sexist, ethnical and homophobic banter. Aside from that, the whole material in the film suits better for an episode of a cop TV show (aka, Starsky and Hutch). Freebie (James Caan) and Bean (Alan Arkin) are cops determined to bring down infamous mob boss Red Myers when they find out that an anonymous hired gun is in town to kill Myers. Most of the movie relies on banter between the two leads, who often trade insults with each other. This comes not only from their background (Bean is Mexican) but personalities as well (Bean is a married man with issues in his marriage; while Freebie is a rather laid back streetwise cop). What I like about this film is a sense of naivety typical of its time. That and very well choreographed car chase sequences. You won't see in another 1970s film where a car flies from a highway into an older couple's apartment. All in all, I can say I had a good time with this film, despite its setbacks (humor is so-so and the narrative doesn't have much meat on its bones).