Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 February, 2021, 02:37:03 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 February, 2021, 02:04:40 PM
This might just be me but I don't think basing life decisions, such as whether to get married, on how a thing is depicted in film and televsion is a good idea.
I still ain't gettin' on no plane, fool!

Won't matter if the plane goes down anyway.

I ain't fraid of no ghost.

zombemybabynow

Watched Egger's 'the lighthouse'

with patterson and defoe doing each other's nut-in in b/w

fantastic - although i had to keep the subtitles on to properly understand their maritime yarns

after the film ended, i felt like i'd been battered by an ocean wave containing acid

but the ages old question was finally answered : [spoiler]how would you shag a mermaid?![/spoiler]

highly recommend it
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Tiplodocus

Quote from: milstar on 16 February, 2021, 02:23:35 PM
probably true, but after watching Jaws, I don't think I'll ever swim in the ocean.

That was me for years until I finally figured "What a fantastic way to go!" There's nothing mundane about your demise if you are eaten by sharks!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 February, 2021, 03:25:21 PM
probably true, but after watching Jaws, I don't think I'll ever swim in the ocean.

That was me for years until I finally figured "What a fantastic way to go!" There's nothing mundane about your demise if you are eaten by sharks!

Or by piranhas. Then there won't remain nothing of you. I know, week consolation.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Mardroid

Quote from: milstar on 16 February, 2021, 04:37:27 PM

Or by piranhas. Then there won't remain nothing of you. I know, week consolation.

For what it's worth, I don't think piranhas actually do that to people in real life. If you're already dead I think they'd strip your corpse but if you're swimming they'll likely see you as the predator and run. Which makes sense as a I've heard they're good eating.

That being said, one needs to be careful when swimming in South American rivers as there are other little beasties with spines that can swim into ...um... inconvenient places they shouldn't. But I won't elaborate on that, except to say 'ouch!'

Back to movies, I saw a curious British comedy horror film recently called Eat Locals, on the Horror Channel. Small spoilers ahoy:

It starred he of the Daredevil series, Charlie Cox, and a whole bunch of other British actors, including that Welsh lady from Torchwood, the skinny chap from The Office (playing a priest in this) and the lady who played Mrs. Meldrew. I never thought I'd see that lot together. Oh and it also starred one of Tenant Who's lovely companions. And a dark eyed Scottish bloke, who has a familiar face who I've seen around yet I can't quite place what I've actually seen him in. (No criticism of him, he's good enough, although I think he plays similar character types.)

Anyway, it's basically army guys vs vampires involving a house in the middle of nowhere. You're probably thinking it's basically Dog Soldiers with vampires instead of werewolves, but, aside from the premise, it's not really. For one thing it's the vampires who are trapped in the house and the soldiers on the outside. And the soldiers are not the heroes. (I'm not saying the vampires are either. These aren't your modern  emo  'oh we're just misunderstood  victims' types. Neither are they purely one dimensional monsters, but they do drink and kill people. (Aside from Charlie Cox's character. He only feeds on animals, apparently, and does seem to have a conscience, but he isn't exactly forbidding the others either.)

I felt like it wasn't a particularly good film, but it was okay. Kinda cheesy in places, but I think maybe it was supposed to be. It was fun to see all those familiar faces in a film I didn't know even existed. And there were a couple of twists. Extremely low budget I'd say, too, as there's little in the way of horror effects, (not a bad thing in itself) and the occasional creature CGI is a bit dodgy. Like the bit when Mrs. Meldrew sneezes.

Hawkmumbler

Also, with the probably exception of Bull Sharks*, most sharks are passive creatures that mainly scavenge whale carcasses or eat seals. Attacks on humans are extremely rare and are always derived from misidentification of their part, studies even suggest that most sharks find human meat unpalatable.

I adore JAWS, one of the best thrillers of all time, but my god the stigma it's brought to such beautiful marine animals is a real tragedy.

*And even then mostly only in the breeding seasons, any Floridian will confirm you stay out of the water in the spring.

Smith

Doctor Who (1996) It feels amazingly close to the revival series. And also this means I am done with the classic era after 5-6 years.

pictsy

Stargate

I still like the Ancient Egyptian/Sci-Fi stuff in this film.  It's pretty generic, otherwise.  Kurt Russell is a plus.

Virtuosity

My second time watching this... thing.  Wow, it is very bad and yet quite entertaining.  Russel Crowe outshines Denzel Washington because Russel embraced the film with camp overacting and Denzel seemed to take the idiotic shite that was the script seriously.  This film is also idiotic shite.  Denzel does his best, but he really deserves to be in better films than this (and thankfully has).

milstar

Quote from: Mardroid on 17 February, 2021, 01:35:34 AM
Quote from: milstar on 16 February, 2021, 04:37:27 PM

For what it's worth, I don't think piranhas actually do that to people in real life. If you're already dead I think they'd strip your corpse but if you're swimming they'll likely see you as the predator and run. Which makes sense as a I've heard they're good eating.

I dunno. I wouldn't want to be near piranhas either. One is harmless so I've heard, but a flock...

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 February, 2021, 12:11:14 PM
Also, with the probably exception of Bull Sharks*, most sharks are passive creatures that mainly scavenge whale carcasses or eat seals. Attacks on humans are extremely rare and are always derived from misidentification of their part, studies even suggest that most sharks find human meat unpalatable.

I adore JAWS, one of the best thrillers of all time, but my god the stigma it's brought to such beautiful marine animals is a real tragedy.

*And even then mostly only in the breeding seasons, any Floridian will confirm you stay out of the water in the spring.

Hm... Bond movies have certain creepiness with sharks. And not to forget Deep Blue Sea.

Quote from: pictsy on 17 February, 2021, 04:23:56 PM

Virtuosity

My second time watching this... thing.  Wow, it is very bad and yet quite entertaining.  Russel Crowe outshines Denzel Washington because Russel embraced the film with camp overacting and Denzel seemed to take the idiotic shite that was the script seriously.  This film is also idiotic shite.  Denzel does his best, but he really deserves to be in better films than this (and thankfully has).

Virtuosity i haven't seen in a long time, but I remember it fondly for being one of my favorite movies in my childhood. I like that techno thriller angle. And yes, Russell outshines Denzel, that he practically steal the movie. The only thing though, there's gratuitous shot of his bum. But, there's nice nod to Saturday's Night Fever.

The Last Stand (2013)

Not the best Arnie's film, nor the worst. It is decent comeback actioneer, with no surprises. A kind of 80s film, but with modern day aesthetics. The only thing though, Johnny Knoxville, I can't stand him. And what the hell his name and face do on movie's poster? He appears in the film for 10 min max and really is supporting character.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: milstar on 17 February, 2021, 05:53:33 PM
Virtuosity i haven't seen in a long time, but I remember it fondly for being one of my favorite movies in my childhood. I like that techno thriller angle. And yes, Russell outshines Denzel, that he practically steal the movie. The only thing though, there's gratuitous shot of his bum. But, there's nice nod to Saturday's Night Fever.

The techno thriller thing is a nice idea (probably done a lot better in Strange Days, but I haven't seen that film in years) and there are some nice shots and visuals in the film.  It's a film that is more entertaining than it has any right to be.

Colin YNWA

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

I'd heard so much about this, particularly recently for some reason, but never seen it and it felt like the kinda film I should have seen... and I've seen it ... and it was, the kinda film I should have seen.

By which I mean seeing it now means rather than being a mindblowing experience that became a corner stone of how I view popular culture. instead its kinda ... yeah I wish I'd seen that when it would have been a mindblowing experience that became a corner stone of how I view popular culture and I can take it and leave it.

It was fun. It is pretty dated, though seems to glory in that, even though it couldn't have been aware of it when it was being made. It did seem almost self consious of the fact its look was so of its time it knew it was going to date and so really played with being of its time. Weird that.

Anyway there is so much going on. Characters come and go in the blink of an eye and no one seems to be on screen much - even the titualr lead, yet not too many character suffer from that. It seems to cram so much in but know how to do to make you aware there's so much going on but nothing feels like its lacking.

Its a really interesting piece... oh and have a said fun, its real fun.

Have to be honest while it didn't blow me away the way it should have I will be returning to it I'm sure - well firstly cos its the first film I've bought digitally - see me dragging myself into the 21st Centrury! but cos  I think its the kinda film that will grow on you the more you watch it.

That end sequence - which is kinda all I knew of the film, with all the characters marching across the aquaduct - be they live or be they dead - really makes me want to see more (and reminds me of Steve Zizzou for some reason).

What a curio - glad I've seen it. Will be happy to return to it. Wish I'd seen it like 30 years ago when it'd have blown me away.

pictsy

Fun fact, early in it's production Big Trouble in Little China was intended as a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai.

I first saw Buckaroo Banzai a few years ago and can agree that I would have liked it more as a kid.  Nevertheless, I don't wish I had seen it as a kid because it would just have been another film I'd end up re-evaluating now I'm an adult.  It's a fine movie that is pretty weird and goes against the grain.  I think I appreciate it for what it is.

At the very least it facilitated the making of Big Trouble in Little China, which is one of my top ten favourite films.

Barrington Boots

I really like Buckaroo Banzai. As a teenager I and my friends loved it for all it's weird, surreal little touches. My favourite bit is with the cabinet on fire. I like the implication that the Lectroids went through the building and took the time to open that cabinet and set one single file alight. And then Peter Weller just closes the drawer.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

TordelBack

Another fun fact, the bridge commissioning plaques for both the USS Excelsior in STIII:TSFS and the USS Sutherland (Data's first (temporary) command in the Kilingon Civil War) have quotes from  Buckaroo Banzai: the Excelsior's motto is "no matter where you go,  there you are", and I forget what the Sutherland's was. All those years on STREK-L and alt.startrek, wasted.

I too didn't see it until it was too late for me. Time for a revisit, perhaps.

Funt Solo

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, I enjoyed on release, then tried again maybe fifteen years ago and it was like having a six-year old jump on squeaky toys for an hour and a half whilst constantly screaming "SQUEAKY-SQUEAKY-SQUEAKY", but not being able to leave. With Barry Manilow being played through a stadium sound system. And a large video screen looping just the scenes with John Lithgow in them.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++