Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Jesus, the weeks are flying by!

Sandman Overture 2 (It's been an age since issue 1, but it's new Gaiman Sandman, so who cares right?)
Wake 7 (A cracking comic in all respects- I can see the collected edition of this being a high seller for years to come).
Wraith: Welcome To Christmasland 5 (Joe Hill's new IDW mini trundles along nicely).
Miracleman 4 (New Moore stuff for me, can't fault it).
Origin II 4 (Gillen & Kubert have impressed with the three issues thus far, I'd expect the remaining two to follow suit).
Silver Surfer Vol 6 1 (Not a huge Surfer fan, am picking this up for the novelty of Allred on art, and the fact the 1st issue is only 2 Euro in my LCS. Unlikely in the extreme that I'll keep reading it).
Superior Spider-Man 30 (Its all gone Pete Tong for Dr. Octopus! An unmistakable urgency to the pace has been set for the past few months- some of the best Spidey comics I've ever read are whirling by at breakneck speed to the conclusion).

Hawkmumbler

The Maxx Maxximised #5: A bit in the origins if Maxx. Still the biz and worth a double dip for TPB.

Attack on Titan (Before the Fall) 1: The prequel to the hit manga of last year. And like all prequels it severs all character ties to the main series and focuses on world building, specifically a period 70 years before the SNK, focusing on another failed attempt by the Titans to consume humanity within wall Maria.

Dead Man Wonderland 1: Not read this yet but looks really good, sort of like The Most Dangerous Game with super hero mercenaries.

D.Gray-Man 7-9: Allen fights for his life after loosing his arm and innocence to the Noah. See's the secondary characters brought to the forefront as a result.

Weekly Shonen Jump #17: Their was a slightly pointless and not very good preview chapter in this weeks issue. Added to the lack of One Piece and Toriko this issue was only held afloat by Bleach, All You Need is Kill and One Punch Man. But even then it's still bloody good.

Link Prime

Did a large digital comic download crash The Adventurer's PC???

A quiet-ish week for me;

Judge Dredd: Mega City Two 3 (I've been really enjoying this mini, and have opted for the E.J. Su cover this month, very GTA Vice City).
Rogue Trooper 2 (Probably won't be around for long, but 1st issue was great).
Starlight 2 (I was very surprised by the quality of the 1st issue, and it immediately made the pull list cut. A recommended read).

The Adventurer

Sorry last week and this week have actually been two of the lightest comic weeks for me on record. So I sort of just forgot...

Last week 3/26/14 Digital Pulls
2000 AD 1874 - Was a bit broke last week and this week, so I kinda forgot to pick it up. So I have no comments on the news strips yet.
FABLES 139 - New arc, also haven't picked it up yet. So broke.
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS 19 - I did pick this one up, because Image was running a half-off sale over the weekend. Last issue and this issue have really revitalized some of my waning interest in this title.
THE WALKING DEAD 124 - Full disclosure, I'm multiple issues behind on this. I'm waiting till the War arc is complete before catching up. If it doesn't bowl me over... I'm afraid Walking Dead is going to be headed for the chopping block.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 17 - Really noticed One Piece and Toriko being MIA this issue, Food Wars look really dumb. Agree with Bleach, All You Need is Kill, and One Punch Man holding things together. Nisekoi also some how managed to not be completely terrible for 3 chapters.

and... Digital Comics Pulls for 04/2/14
2000 AD 1875 - Again, behind. I might catch up tonight, or maybe on Friday. So broke.
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 12 - Half the team has turned into lizard mosters, and in some comics you'd expect things to go back to normal at the end. But this is the Invincible universe, you almost have expect the worst and that nothing will be the same again. Also, I can't find any confirmation of an issue 13 being solicited. CONCERNING! Invincible Universe is one of the best comics I current read!
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 18 - Line-up is back to normal. In general everything was kind of sublime. Nisekoi is back to being crap, but some how Naruto has become comprehensible for a moment. I'm sure we'll be back to poorly choreographed fight scenes soon enough.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

But I really want to talk about is a comic that some how managed to not appear on any of my shipping lists, despite having been out for several weeks digitally (and I assume in print). It's an early contender for my 'Best Single Issue of 2014' list, and it might surprise you...

MEGA MAN 35 by Ian Flynn and Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante from Archie Comics.

This particular issue is an epilogue issue for the previous arc, The Curse of Ra-Moon. Where the alien entity Ra-Moon attempted to eliminate all human life. On through the combined efforts of Mega Man and Dr. Wily was Ra-Moon's plans stopped. Now Mega Man and Dr. Light are returning to the scene to confirm Ra-Moon being dead, and confirm Dr. Wily's story of being a pawn. And not an evil idiot who almost helped kill everyone on the planet.

Here's the thing about the Mega Man comics. They are for an 'All Ages' reading group. Not 'For Kids Only'. All. Ages. And Ian Flynn is already a deft hand at treading the needle when it comes to dramatic effect that is both thrilling and suspenseful. While also being ultimately bloodless.

This issue though... this issue is all about emotion. Its about identity and loss. With Mega Man struggling with his fears from when he faced Ra-Moon, and his own near death experience, and with Protoman struggling with his own demons and frustrations over how he was treated by Dr Light.

There are just so many things being examined in this issue. Issues of anger, fear, remorse, redemption. Questions of identity, trust, and even love.

For an action comic for kids, there are some seriously heady issues on display here. Entire graphic novels have been written for adults about some of these topics that aren't as good as this one 22 page All Ages comic.

This issue isn't necessarily the best jumping on point, as its a culmination of a lot of events (I'd go back to the Blackout Prelude in #28 for that) but for me this is why I read comics. To find issues like this.

Hawkmumbler

I actually only got the Prog, the Meg and WSJ this week. How sad. Got a bit of change from tips so might catch up on Black Science....I liked that first issue...but I might leave it till trade....

Anyway, still suitable enjoying Stealth Symphony. A pretty damn good set up chapter this week. Next weeks Jump is set to be a belter. Blue Exorcist and a new chapter of Dragon Ball (like, new new. Not colorised. New material. Holy shiz) being added to the line up.

BTW Adventurer, is that Mega Man comic available on comixology? I might have to dip into it if I can afford it...

The Adventurer

QuoteBTW Adventurer, is that Mega Man comic available on comixology? I might have to dip into it if I can afford it...

It very much is, in fact I linked it in my post. I think its a series worth reading (as is Sonic the Hedgehog, but Mega Man is probably more accessible as it hasn't been running for 250+ issues). As I said, I'd recommend going back to issue 28, OR you can start with issue 36, which is the start of a brand new arc. Which apparently is the start of a Mega Man / Mega Man X crossover. Which... should be pretty rad.

I tried BLACK SCIENCE, and thought it was kind of okay, but not good enough to get on the pull list. Like a more deadly Sliders or something. I did however get a chance to read the first two issues of THE FUSE during a sale on Image Comics.com. And I really liked what I found, that one will probably be going on the regular pull list.

And yeah, Stealth Symphony keeps getting better, and the new Dragon Ball chapter should be interesting. Its suppose to introduce Kakarot/Goku's mom.

Hawkmumbler

I'll hang on till Mega Man 36 then. Im not afraid to jumping into ongoing series, but I find jumping in at odd points often gives you the wrong impression initially.

Frank

Simpson and Bruckheimer present a Tony Scott film, starring Denzel Washington and Kurt Russell. Thanks to Alex Ronald's eighties cinematography, you can almost hear the blues guitar soundtrack:

BPP

Quote from: The Adventurer on 03 April, 2014, 10:15:30 AM

I tried BLACK SCIENCE, and thought it was kind of okay, but not good enough to get on the pull list. Like a more deadly Sliders or something. I did however get a chance to read the first two issues of THE FUSE during a sale on Image Comics.com. And I really liked what I found, that one will probably be going on the regular pull list.

I think the art on Black Science is all sorts of lovely - very angular ian gibson-esque - but the story is worse than incompetent. The Fuse definitely has something good going on, issue two was nicely twisty.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

The Maxx Maxximised #6: I wasn't expecting this so soon after #5. Bit of a sporadic release shchedual. Anyway, it's great as ussual.

The Royals Masters of War #3: Blooming zarjaz. Arthur might just be the funniest thing in comics at the moment.

Doctor Who Magazine #472: started picking this up again. Not the foggiest whats going on in the current arc. :lol:

Weekly Shonen Jump #18: In a series that never ceases to be wonderful, this was a highlight. Everything was good, even Naruto and (gasp!) Nisokoi! One Piece has a real "fecking hell!" Moment and One-Punch Man was the absolute shit! Plus great chapters of Bleach, Toriko, Blue Exorcist, Stealth Symphony, World Trigger and All You Need is Kill, plus a Dragon Ball/ Jaco prequel, well, it was thumping wonderful!

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for the week of 04/09/14

2000 AD 1876 - Great line-up. I'm even enjoying SLAINE for once. Thanks Simon Davis! Being able to tell what's going on and who's who is a big plus!
ASTRO CITY 11 - *phew* can't believe we're nearly a year into this title, and its hit most of its ship dates! The last arc ended a bit MEH. But now we appear to be back to a new one-off story. Which is where Astro City excels.
EAST OF WEST 11 - Last issue got me hyped about this series again. So wild.
INVINCIBLE 110 - Read an 8 page preview of this issue, and it seriously pissed me off. I hope Kirkman's got a plan that doesn't end with me throwing my iPad across the room.
ROYALS MASTERS OF WAR 3 - This series is walking a fine line between 'Great Concept' and 'Mediocre Execution'. I'm not 100% sold on it yet, which is too bad because the creators involved are top notch.
SAVAGE DRAGON 194 - Second issue in the bold new direction. 193 wasn't the best introductory issue to SD IMO I'm seriously hoping this one does it better.
STAR WARS 16 - Falling behind on this one, catching up soon I hope.
THE WALKING DEAD 125 - Is the War arc over yet? One more to go? Uggggg.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 18 - Great issue, everything in top form. Dragon Ball extra chapter was a bit... pointless. But at least now the manga has its version of Bardock.

Mardroid

Transformers: Autocracy

Story: Not bad.  Not brilliant. Kinda interesting as it's the story of how Optimum Prime (or Orion Pax as he was apparently known then) became Optimum Prime. Although the way it happened seemed a bit out of nowhere.

Art: Nice robots. Great to see that these are recognisable too, despite this being their pre-earth days and their cybertronian vehicle modes being rather different to their Earth counterparts. From a storytelling perspective I  find it rather poor though. I find it very difficult to tell what's going on, particularly in the action sequences. You can work it out to some extent from the dialogue... but you shouldn't have to do that.

Link Prime

A single one for me this week;

Royals Masters of War 3 (Loving this mini, has everything a 2000AD fan could wish for).

Colin YNWA

I missed typing up my last haul as life has been quite full for one reason or another of late and its taken me away from you a little... like any of us care BUT I'm back with my latest haul and there's a lot to discuss.

Firstly two new series I've really been looking forward to. One of them I don't know why but Nightcrawler 1 was top of my pile, as I really couldn't wait to read it, even though I was kinda dreading it. See I love the character but really can't get on with Chris Claremont's work, new or old anymore. So this book was a weird one for me to be so on board with, especially given I've not read a new X-book for years either. It was okay, there was the odd great moment and Nightcrawler is a character that should be in a dream book. It just didn't hang together. Claremont's writing wasn't as overblown as normal and drifted by with out driving me nuts BUT the book just didn't hang together. It all just seemed to happened, it was a series of moments and nothing seemed to relate to me. Still its early and I still have a vague hope for this. We'll see.

Flash Gordon 1 likewise is a character I love, in a world I adore and this book didn't disappoint it was quite, quite brilliant. Just great high octane fun comics. Full of action, character and... well not much else I see no world changing themes, or ideas that stretch the medium, but when the action and the character work is as good as this that's often enough. A masterclass in how to update a classic while being true to the original. Just brilliant and probably book of the month. Really hope this series can keep this up.

Elsewhere we have the beginning of the end of a couple of books. Fatale 21 was superb and is peeling away its layers as it cruises towards what I think will be a thrilling end. The Massive 21 might have a longer tail (tale) but is clearly entering the end game, again its mysteries are being revealed. It too was quite fantastic. The problem is that last conversation has me worried as to what exactly the reveals will be. Just what is that something about Mary? I hope it doesn't stretch the grounding this ocean going series has so delighted in too far? We'll see.

FBP 9, Sex 12 and Jonah Hex 29 are all smacking good reads. Though I miss Moriat on Jonah. If he has gone I hope the solicitations that Staz Johnson is coming are right, that'll take away the sting a little.

Judge Dredd - Mega City Two - City of Courts 3 aside from having a stupidly long title I'm thinking now will benefit from a re-read. I'm enjoying it but does it all hang together? We'll see.

Finally two issues of The Maxx 5 and 6 result - if Flash Gordon hadn't been around this haul either of these could have had book of the weeks. Still this book is a wonder. So much to offer on first read but mainly it makes you want to read it again as you know there is so much more to gain with subsequent reading. Can't recommend this series enough.