Main Menu

Slaine Questions

Started by Matt, 23 December, 2002, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

As much as I've liked the opening episode of the new Slaine series, I can't help but think that I've missed something. Does anyone know when this story is set? As far as I can remember Slaine was executed after his 7 year reign as high king and placed in the cauldron of blood, where he was ressurrected by the Earth Goddess and went about wandering time sorting out stuff for her. Then he eventually returned to the Ireland of his time and found that all his loved ones were dead. So how come Niahm is alive and kicking in this one? And what did happen in the last Slaine saga as it was so crap I've kinda wiped it from my memory.

Slippery PD

Matt - it did seem to me that mills kinda rushed a few things.  He had some ideas that seemed tobe forgotten or I may he forgotten about them....
Kai?
His 7 years as king what happened?

Oh and as after thought why does Mills have a thing for Fathers and Sons?!?!!?!?

Yer confusd Slippo

Art

And, like, is he still a werewolf?

Slippery PD

Feck!  Id forgotten that, oh the remenants of the animal ancestors or something like that?  Complete bollox!

-Yer Mor confused Slippo

Matt

Shit I really can't remember that! Could someone enlighten us as to what the hell is going on? And will we ever see Nest again? I loved her....h'mmmmmm

Marbles

I know thus is *way* off topic, but I just wanted to say here publicly just how bad I feel about Joe Strummer's death on Sunday.

The Clash changed my life and I'm gutted that Joe is no longer around.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Smiley

I figured the continuity went like this.

Sl?ine was ritually put to death after his seven year reign as High King of Ireland. The goddess then had him placed in the cauldron so he might travel through the Otherworld and do her bidding at different historical times.

While in the Otherworld, Sl?ine learned that Ireland had been overrun since his 'death' by an army of monsters called The Secret Commonwealth. So Sl?ine left the Otherworld to return to Ireland, presumably arriving at a point in time just a few years after his ritual death, as Niamh was still around (with 'new' memories of her incarnation as a nun in the future) and the kings of Ireland ready to accept Sl?ine as their High King straight away, as if he'd never left. Anyway, the Commonwealth led by Medb were seen off.

Right now it appears that Sl?ine has been High King once more, but is now deposed. Ireland seems to be under Fomorian occupation and he's too busy to do anything about it. He just wants revenge on a particular Fomor called Moloch. And what Moloch did must have been pretty serious. It may have involved Niamh, have to wait and see how it pans out.

Going by hazier recollections, Kai is still at the druids seminary. And that business about Sl?ine being a beast did come off like a pagan chat-up line, but it made sense of what warp spasms are supposed to be all about.

It does seem now we can read any new Sl?ine stories as though his death and enforced abdication never took place. Nifty plotting? Or a corpse-raisin' time-travellin' cop out of superhero comic proportions? Who cares? This new story signals a return to form. Hope it keeps up.

seeneester

Smiley

You don't, but someone else might.

seeneester

I was forgeting about Pat Mills. I think he may need a refresher on this one :)

Queen Firey-Bou

Isn't nest at the convent/ monestary / college of druidism helping coax ukko into writing the chronicles of Slains adventures? or did she slip off to Dredds time line & become a private detective with an ape pal?

Mangamax

Last time i looked, Nest was still helping Ukko chronicle Slaine's adventures and they were set after his death. Now whether that's after his death but he's still around after being reborn or his final "death's death" i dunno.
My vote for "most off the track Slaine" must be that Robin Hood tale - horrible premise, horrible dialogue, pretty horrible art and horrible liberties with the established mythology. Am enjoying the start of this new one but at the back of mind is a fear that we're going to have something similar to the above again.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

JayzusB.Christ

I actually didn't mind the Robin Hood thing; despite some very dodgy dialogue and continuity. I haven't, however, enjoyed anything else in Sl?ine since the Horned God, apart from the complete prog thingy which was alright.
Pat Mills was never too big on continuity: weren't Nemesis and Deadlock the same person till recently when Nemesis died and Deadlock was still there? Good luck.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

malkymac

Does any one know what a 'ferty slak' is? I recall Slaines brother being called one when Balor made him eat from the communal feeding pit years ago. It seemed like a good insult but was never mentioned again. Also why was Balors arse never kicked in the first place when the Sessair had the chnce?

judda fett

'Ferty slak' rhymes with dirty slag after a fashion...
Cant wait for 'Gold two'. Whens it out?..