Main Menu

The shite death of Balor

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 26 January, 2003, 04:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry if this has been covered here already, but was anyone else deeply disappointed with Balor's death?
Even though he looked completely different in every story, he was a bloody good character (his episode with ragall in the fomorian vomiting pit was bleeding class), and then his death scene ends up being completely identical to that of Quagslime, the tax collector, except a bit harder to make out.  Quagslime's death was extremely powerful and exciting; the first sign of the Red Branch's revolt. Balor's was shite. Does Pat Mills think we'll forget the first time he tried it? Does he not know stories are reprinted? Well he may try and stop Sl?ine fan fiction. I know what he's up to.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Leigh S

I sort of get the impression that Pat might see "The Horned God" as a "year Zero" for Slaine, and anything before that as fair game for riffing on...

Not sure why I get this feeling - mebbe his annoyance at Slaine reverting back to B&W for The Robin Hood story, as mentioned in TPO.

paulvonscott

I suspect (so much suspicion about) that this is being written as a direct 3-part epic sequal to the 3-part epic The Horned God , which as Pat would say himself was immensely succesful in Europe.  (Have we really understood the ramifications of that?  Have we?)  So, the story continues on fron Horned God and gives us other material as if we'd never seen it before.

I'm kind of waiting for ABC warriors to see if he really cares any more.  Sniff.

Bolt-01

Amen to that. The warriors need plot, not repetition. Be nice to see Carlos' art though.

Rotts

Art

Oi! Don't knock the Horned God, that was quality stuff that was.

(Funnily enough I also see it as a "Year Zero", but in my case everything written after that point doesn't count.)

paulvonscott

Who knocked the Horned God?

I could, but what's the point?

IndigoPrime

I have to say, if we get one more bloody story with the ABC Warriors being re-recruited, Mills should be fired.

The Monarch

i may be missing something here too many back issues to read but what happened to happy shrapnel in a b c warriors anyway?

Art

The Monarch

did he as i said i've still to read a massive chunk of the back issues i have

Smiley

Happy Shrapnel was mentioned briefly in The Gothic Empire, as having died in a brawl on Mars. Bit of a shame as I quite liked the old rustbucket, and wouldn't have minded seeing him go out in a blaze of glory and deleted expletives. In a perfect world, maybe a flashback in the new series to his untold death?

The Monarch

mongor2003

Maybe we should change the title of this thread to "the shite death of Happy Shrapnel"