Main Menu

Battlefield Bulger, indeed

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 30 January, 2003, 06:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Now, I know not many agree, but I liked Big Dave, me. Like I said before, it was doing the South Park sick humour thing before South Park did it itself, and before Preacher too.
That said, I can't help but feel glad that 'Battlefield Bulger' (mentioned in T.P.O.) never made it to print.  Jesus wept, now that would have been sick. I genuinely think a public outcry of Brass Eye-sized proportions would have occurred. Definitely, a lot more of the 'moral majority' would be disapprovingly aware of 2000ad, and the tabloids would have gone to town on it for weeks.  A Dublin magazine, for instance, printed a skit cartoon last year featuring the two killers from case in question, and was absolutely savaged by the press.  And that was about ten (?) years after the murder happened,and in a different country.

For everyone concerned, I think Alan McKenzie made the right decision.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

Can we have a show of mice please,,....

Thank you everyone.

That would have been very poor taste. Not all publicity is good.

jont

I'm pretty sure he made it up. He must have, how would they get inside the toddler for god's sake.

On the subject any one here (or by the name of Jamie) know If Dave's been reprinted?

Smiley

The idea was meant to be a spin on Fantastic Voyage, not much of stretch for a strip that featured a love gun and robot royals.

It was most likely pitched simply to wind McKenzie up, but both Morrison and Millar seemed to fancy themselves as the bad boys of comics so they could have been dead serious. Makes them tossers either way.

I don't think Big Dave has ever been reprinted. IIRC there may have been some attempt for the US market (Vertigo? Dark Horse?) which came to nothing. Probably just hearsay. Dunno, to be honest :)

Devons Daddy

i may have stopped reading if they had done that.i know i would today.
which shows my depth of feeling towards such an act.
there are things which are not acceptable. that would have been it. taking into account the quality at the time it may have been the death knell for tooth.
he made the correct decsion. some things are not to be satired.
i am sure this is a view shared by nay parent on this board.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

jamie bulger.
let us not forget
the young child was an innocent in every sense of the word.
please do not forget this fact if you add to this thread.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Art

In that case we should try and remeber all the other, less mediagenic, dead kids of the world.

jont

On the subject any one here (or by the name of Jamie) know If Dave's been reprinted?

In case there's any doubt on the subject I was ferering to Jamie B of Titan, not the other mediagenic Jamie.

The Bulger thing might have been just that little bit too far. But come on Why not publish the Salman Rushdie thing. He's a grown man, he can handle it at this stage.