Main Menu

Clint Langley on Slaine

Started by Last of the V8's, 06 February, 2003, 04:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last of the V8's

Awsome cover on this weeks prog and interior art from Mr. Langley. So how does he do it.
Are you reading this Clint? Is it all done on the computer or what. Be real interested to know.

ukdane

Yeah, I'd love to see a step-by-step on this site of how you put a page together.
Cheers

-Daney

LARF

Looks like it's hand rendered and then scanned and manipulated in photoshop... anyone ever seen Brian Bolland's website?
Fantastic stuff and step by step guides... do a search on yahoo you'll find it.

Mangamax

Know what you mean. It's lovely art but sometimes doesn't look "right". It looks too "in focus" if there can be such a thing? Look at detail work on Slaines armour on this weeks cover for an example. Case of computer tweaking?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

HiEx

Clint Langley's work on Slaine has been absolutely amazing. I really hope we see more of his work soon.

HiEx

Devons Daddy

the art is of a style rarely seen in comics.
seems so real, which only makes it more spectular.

truly amazing stuff.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Mangamax

That first shot of Niamh - thats a photo of the flowers isn't it? Come to think of it, her weapons and Slaines face on the next page look like photos that have been touched up in some way.
Can't we get Clint to do a feature for this site on how he does it?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Wood

Last of the V8's

Any chance we can have this cover as a screen saver without the copy over the art?

MOONSHINE

Im sure the flowers were put using a photo shop tool called "tubes" not that this clarifies matters.

Photoshop can do all kinds of visual tricks, including making images sharper or blurring then (the often use focus effect).

But it'ts not exactly easy.

Clints methods must be painstaking. What I'd really like to know is if he gets more for his
labour intensive pages than an artist who just slaps inks over pencils and colour blocks the gaps.

Adrian Bamforth

frazer

"...labour intensive pages than an artist who just slaps inks over pencils and colour blocks the gaps."

??

wtf?

ever tried to "slap inks over pencils" and then "colour block the gaps" yourself? and make it read clearly, convey character and have a consistency of style? there's a few dozen folks on this message board who should be able to testify how hard that is.

Clint's work is indeed gorgeous, but it's just as tricky to get simplicity in the art as it is to get tonnes of detail.

and all art is an illusion anyway.

F

Oddboy

I'd've thought it would be way easier to do it on the computer then by hand!
Just because clever photoshop techniques may not be easy as as pie, doesn't make it trickier then actually having artistic talent.
I like the Sl?ine artwork (I'd love to see some of the original pencil work pre-computer) but I wouldn't want it to become the norm 2000AD.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Matt

Clints art on Slaine is some of the best I've seen on the series. Dare I say it's better than Bisleys? And what an ending to Book 1 as well. Can't believe I'm gonna have to wait until the summer for book 2! Don't know how Clint puts his artwork together, but it's miles better than Dinosty all those years ago.

Trout

"Dinosty"

Let's never speak of that again.

- Trout