Main Menu

Halo

Started by judgejampot, 09 February, 2003, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemaskreplica

On Fri and Sat i enjoyed an 8-player game of Halo (with 2 tvs) and now find myself to be in a barbecued state of delirium. Wow.

JayzusB.Christ

Scuse I. My computer hasn't been allowing me to click on 'seperate windows' links, therefore I haven't been able to post messages. If it works this time, has anyone any idea why the computer does this sometimes?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

James

Can't wait for the sequel.

mmm...XBOX LIVE...mmm

WoD

I've only ever played Halo for a short period of time, but it just 'felt' right.  The balance appeared superb, better than any other console FPS I've played (and most of those on the PC too).

What's the slow down like when playing with 8?

petemaskreplica

Slow down? Me not undo-stand...

WoD

I just wondered did the game splutter or stutter (frame rate drop, etc.) when you were playing with 8 people.

What's the set-up, is it two X-Boxes (Boxi?) linked?  I've not got an x-box, but I am thinking about getting one.  It's the price of the games, which nearly always seem to be around ?45, that put's me off.

M.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The vast majoirty of X-Box games don't suffer slow down during multiplayer games. I think this is to do with the fact that they are designed to support a maximum number of players without lag or degradation of performace (1-4 per machine in the case of Halo) and simply don't allow more players to join in if there is likely to be any lag or other problem. The best Halo combination is no more than 2 players per box cos otherwise you have a lot of small screens on the one telly and it gets hard to follow what's going on.

The other thing about Halo is that it only moves at 30 fps , not the 60 that most PC games run at - you hardly notice the difference when playing but this means that on mulitplayer games the machine doesn't have to do as much work as on a conventional game.

As for getting one, I think they are very good. Although I have a PC too, for strategy games, the XBox seems to be the maximum technical standard that PC games are developed to - presumably to allow them to be ported across easily enough. It means you get all the good "action" PC games on a machine that's a fraction of the cost of a high end PC.

That said, I am still getting a new PC to play Doom 3 on!
Lock up your spoons!

DavidXBrunt

This week I have mostly been playing Popuous. If a games not slow, tediously repetitive, and time consuming then it's just not worth playing if you ask me.

Mk13

>the price of the games, which nearly always seem to be around ?45, that put's me off.

They did start fairly high, but prices have been dropping somewhat, especially if you don't want to get the absolutely latest game (you should be able to get Project Gotham Racing for around ?20 these days).

It's worth looking around a bit too - I haven't paid more than ?35 for any of the Xbox games that I've bought, and most of em have been around the ?30 mark.

Hopefully, as we're approaching a year since the console came out over here, Microsoft will institute something along the lines of Sony's Platinum range for older games.

Tex Hex

Go and get some principles you corporate whores.

Mk13

Hey, if it means I get to play Halo, you can call me Heidi Fleiss...

WoD

Apparently, as I read on digitiser yesterday (or was it today), there will now be a platinum type range for the XBox, but it will not include Halo as it is still selling well.

I think the platinum range has always been one of the big selling points for the playstation family, shame that Ico hasn't sold enough to make it into the pile.

M.

James

With regards to pricing of games, I usually find two shops(GAME and Gamestation or The Software Store, all withina stone's throw of eachother, and all offering a pricematching policy) and play them off eachother...

"They said I could have it in there for ?X.XX" etc..

Be careful 'cos you can only do it a couple of times before they throw you out.

And you can pick up HALO second hand pretty much everywhere quite cheap.

Mk13

>With regards to pricing of games, I usually find two shops(GAME and Gamestation or The Software Store, all withina stone's throw of eachother, and all offering a pricematching policy) and play them off eachother...

You don't live in Cambridge, do you?

I noticed last time I was in GAME in Oxford that they've dropped a lot of the prices on older Xbox games, including some very decent stuff like Rallisport Challenge (around ?25 now, I think).

Devons Daddy

they are bit cheaper out here. in asia. though i think they will not play on your units.
original games will cost about S$50 which is about 17.50 sterling.
and not original will go for around $5 or 1.80 the non original will last for around six months.before they begin to degrade.

as of yet there are no nice game attachments for Xbox avaible.where as the PS2 is a entire side of a shop with upgrades,
i keep an eye out for things which appear and let you all know if this changes.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!