Main Menu

Hi Ex for Sin & Dex?

Started by esoteric ed, 13 March, 2003, 04:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esoteric ed

Well just reading the latest Meg which I collected today and I've finally come to the conclusion that's been festering in my head for a while now that Sinister and Dexter have run out of steam, a one page filler this issue featuring a gag about a bear (a gag I believe I heard in Secondary school), what's all that about? I used to like their tales but I'd sooner not have them around if this is what to expect,
I don't know about a bear, more like a one trick pony.

I had trouble with the (last?) 2000ad run when they were dressed in women's clothes etc and I ended up skipping to what ever was next in each Prog.

Not sure if Gordon Rennie's next Meg page will mention Sin and Dex in relation to Pulp Fiction, but "Gag Reflux" was the final straw.

Sorry to any Sin & Dex fans.

Ed

Tiplodocus

Oh no. He's started a Sin/Dex argument...

I used to like them, now I loathe them but lots of people still like them.

Though I bet you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who thought that page was worth 100th of the Megs cover price.  

I suppose the good thing about is that you could rewrite the script using the same art so it's a doubly good cost cutting measure.

SIN:  SO, I WAS IN HERE THE OTHER NIGHT WHEN IN WALKS CELINE DION...

DEX: VAYASE! WAS THERE A CONCERT NEXT DOOR? WERE THERE LOADS OF FANS?  WAS THERE A FUNTING BIG SHIP WITH AN ICEBERG STICKING OUT OF IT?

SIN: NO, I MEAN... ANYWAY. SHE GOES UP TO THE BAR AND SAYS A PINT OF LAGER PLEASE

DEX: LAGER? A CLASSY DAME LIK HER SHOULD BE DRINKING COCKTAILS. WITH LOTS OF ICE.

SIN: YOU'VE DONE THAT JOKE ALREADY. AND THE BARMAN TAKES HE MONEY AND SAYS..

DEX:  TAKES HER MONEY? SO HE DOESN'T GIVE HER ONE ON THE HOUSE? WHAT SORT OF ESTABLISHMENT IS THIS?

SIN: ...WHY THE LONG FACE?

READERS: FUNT ME .
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

esoteric ed

ha ha, I've always liked the Celine Dion gag, I think perhaps that would have worked better as they both choke to death on their drinks.

Is it not a good idea to slate Sin and Dex here then?

Ed

Art

Yeah, i know what you mean. i used weigh in with an apropriote bit of vitriol, someone else would counter with "well, they used to be good" and it'd be a good old row, until it all finished up with someone doing a poll or something.

But its been the same old thing, over and over again, and frankly its a bit tired now...

Queen Firey-Bou

yeah but the art for that page was really good? yeah ? i thought it suited them...

Heel

I kind of tapered away after the recent story where they go to kill the aliens and meet 'Demi' who tells them about that killing for peace mission, and I thought 'Hey great a new direction for Sin and Dex' then I read the next prog SWERVE, 'oh so its back to normal then eh?'.

I don't know, I feel that Sin/Dex is a strip that does well to alter the norm every so often (like it usually does) and by missing that last change in pace/ideals they might have just missed the boat.....

Slippery PD

Id like to say I dont want to get involved in this, but well what the hell.  I agree.

They jumped the shark a while ago.  Once you are beyond the poor gags and a couple of puns, what do we have?  

There is little character to either of the pair.   Ones like a stereotypical oirish bloke and ones a spaniard whose black, erm thats it.  We have a large number of secondary characters, billi, steampunk willie, teh ex cop who owns the bar (oops Im forgetting their names) but none of them have any impact on the story or impose their characters or names even on the strip.

Conversly I see why Sin Dex would be a popular jump in for a new reader, no continuity or history to wade through.  Just a straight forward simple strip.  The problem is it seems to be on the recycle button.......

The strip in the meg wasnt too bad, well not awful.  Its just a joke stretched out.  

I just personally think the strip needs a rest for a whole six months and then brought back.  Still on the plus side we do get to see seome great art

Yer "im trying hard not to be negative" Slippo

HiEx

As I've suggested before, have a story where SinDex visit MC1, meet Dredd and promptly get blown away.

HiEx

JayzusB.Christ

Here is a suggestion that I have previously, er, suggested on this board:
Feck Sinister Dexter, they're boring and silly and should be done away with. But keep Downlode. Downlode is cool, with a sleazy but hi-tech Euro personality all of its own. One of my favourite stories ever to come out Downlode was the one where Nervous Rex goes to the Syn funeral - excellent. 'Scrubbers' was good too, in an sort of completely out of place in 2000ad but who gives a shite kind of way, and the one where Telemachus Gore (was that his name?) lost his job. Much, much better than most Sinister Dexter stories, which have run out of steam a long time ago.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richmond Clements

'Feck Sinister Dexter, they're boring and silly and should be done away with. But keep Downlode. Downlode is cool,'

Good idea that man!
I always think it is a sign that a writer is running short of ideas when we get the hackneyed old back-in-time-to-meet-ourselves-with-hilarious-results storyline.
And yes, before anyone erupts, of course there are exceptions to the rule, the latest Pratcett book being one of them.

Jared Katooie

I thin Grant Morrison could write Sin Dex.

:-)

fugitive

Are the one-page strips in the Meg not reprints from Loaded or some such place? Also, wasn't the story about them being club doormen also done in 2k as a normal 5-page strip?

almighty mat

What, Sin/Dex or Sin/Dex arguments...?