Main Menu

Prog 2136 - Last Chance To Shine!

Started by NapalmKev, 15 June, 2019, 01:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Cover by Tiernen Trevallion.

Thrill of the future - Feral & Foe by Dan Abnett and Richard Elson.

Dredd - The Samaritan, part 1 starts well and even though Chinface only appears in one panel it is a sight to behold.

Scarlet Traces - Homefront, Part 10 has some excellent use of colour with it's various shades of purple against the stark black and greys of Space and the Moon respectively. Great writing, too. This series begs for a hardback collection.

Thistlebone - Part 2: A very talky episode (in a good way) giving a bit more background to the Cult. I like the slow burn aspect of this and the artwork is stunning! Again, Hardback please!

Absalom - Terminal Diagnosis, Book 2, Part 1 which weighs in at a meaty 10 pages. And why not? Action heavy and the loss of Clockwork Kojak sees the team fragmented and pretty beaten. Glad to see the return of the series and if it's to be the last I'm going to start banging on about Hardback collections again.

There is a letters page.

Great Prog!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richard

I've only had time to read Dredd so far, but that is a hell of an opening episode. More from the Kenny droid please.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 15 June, 2019, 01:50:08 PM
I've only had time to read Dredd so far, but that is a hell of an opening episode. More from the Kenny droid please.

Niemand?

broodblik

Quote from: Frank on 15 June, 2019, 03:30:13 PM
Quote from: Richard on 15 June, 2019, 01:50:08 PM

Niemand?

From Staz Johnson's twitter "it contains the first episode of the Dredd story 'The Samaritan' by Kenneth Niemand, Chris Blythe & yours truly."
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

Yeah, Niemand does it again with this opener - fab stuff

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 15 June, 2019, 04:15:33 PM
Yeah, Niemand does it again with this opener - fab stuff

Doesn't he just.

Grand Prog if a four thrill bill. At least we get another delightful double.

But lets get back to Kenneth who produces a brilliant Dredd, just brilliant. Really nice set up epsiode and then bang that ending. Glorious art by Staz Johnson too.

Scarlet Traces switches back to The Moon but doesn't switch to being anything less than superb. While Thistlebone may down size to five pages but doubles double on the atmophere and thrillpower. This has the making of a classic about it already. Lets see how it holds up.

Loved the opening to Absalom and action packed rest doesn't quite hold up to the its suitably chaotic and bursts this thrill back by raising the stakes and setting the scene.

A great Prog also serves up some great news as we get a 'Thrills of the Future' for Dabnett and Elson returning to us with 'Feral and Foe' ... this could be more from the world of Kingdom with that title right? Right? And we get the news we will be getting a fullseries of Full Tilt Boogle so ya know that's some great news too!

Proudhuff

Not a missstep anywhere in this prog, all art and story telling at their best and there's even good news in Damage Report :)
The Niemand droid knocking it out the park again and Starz art shifts up a gear, loving his Megscapes.
Sadly the letter of the week may become a regular spot given the demographics of prog readers...

Yes to European style hard backs to all of these stories.
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Someone PM me the identity of Kenneth Niemand ffs.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 June, 2019, 02:04:26 PM

And me! (If it pleases your lordships).

Magnetica

Magnetica

Read the Prog on the tube in the way home, and what a good one it was too.

What was shaping up to be a good Dredd was raised to another level by that last page. I usually think single panel pages are a waste, but this time it was worth it.

Scarlet Traces continues to do its thing. Which is to say, entertain and slightly confuse at the same time, but it's nothing that a complete re-read once complete won't solve.

Thistlebone - instant classic.

The thing about Absalom is how come we have had to wait so long for this? It is telling that it is set in 2017. Which is fine, it just would have been good to have had it a couple of years ago.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 June, 2019, 03:49:51 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 16 June, 2019, 02:04:26 PM

And me! (If it pleases your lordships).

add me to that list ya bunch of ()*&&*()^%^$%£
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

I think I've said it before but that won't stop me, but I really hope there's not some poor f**kin' super talented writer sat at home reading this say...

"What is it with those gits. Why do they keep asking who I am... Mum why did you call me Kenneth and do you think Dad will be pissed if I change my surname to Trout or something, Neimand just isn't working for me..."

broodblik

A very good prog again.....

Dredd – Great Dredd story by the Niemand droid. Staz provides us with some great visuals especially the last page.

Thistlebone – The story continues to intrigue, and this can become one of those instant classic thrills.

Scarlet Traces – Now we move scenery and actors again as the story settles on the moon. The story is still brilliant, as we all must keep track of who and where.

Absalom – Another ten-pager with a full action introduction. As we start gasping for air the premise is set for the rest of series. Great to see the series return knowing that this is the last.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.