Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Careful with spoilers for those of us who haven't read any EU. :)

JayzusB.Christ

My renewed, Mandalorian-inspired interest in Star Wars has just reminded me of how amazing the characters' names are.  I don't even think most of those names are mentioned in the films, but it's a tribute to Star Wars' popularity that everyone knows them anyway.  I don't even think Bib Fortuna was ever named in the films.  And remember Droopy McCool?  Not sure how he ended up with a genuine Irish surname as part of his stage-name, but it's brilliant. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

I think we got a lot of the names from the toys - Ray Yees, Sy Snootles, Max Rebo, Salacious Crumb etc. Also some species - who knew they were called Gamorreans, unless you had the Gamorrean Guard action figure?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 November, 2020, 12:50:26 AM
I think we got a lot of the names from the toys - Ray Yees, Sy Snootles, Max Rebo, Salacious Crumb etc.

That's Salacious B. Crumb, ahem.

sheridan

I think we got a lot of the names from the toys - Ray Yees, Sy Snootles, Max Rebo, Salacious Crumb etc. Also some species - who knew they were called Gamorreans, unless you had the Gamorrean Guard action figure?
I don't think the toy (sorry, action figure) of Ray Yees had that name on the box.  Because I had that figure.  And looking up the name I see that they were originally going to be Admiral Ackbar but it was changed after the filmmakers saw the scuplts (I'm assuming George, but could have been somebody else on the crew).

sheridan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 November, 2020, 01:20:57 AM
I think we got a lot of the names from the toys - Ray Yees, Sy Snootles, Max Rebo, Salacious Crumb etc.

You didn't say "Um, actually" so don't get any points. ;)

TordelBack

You're right about the character design originally being intended for Ackbar, but it's deffo Ree Yees on the toy packaging. Like most of the background aliens, he's named for obvious physical descriptors, i.e. he has (Th)ree (E)ye(e)s. Sometimes this is because it's a version of the name on the shooting call-sheet, but usually it was up to Kenner and Topps Trading Cards to give these guys names, rather than anyone at LFL. West End Games built on this foundation, and being roughly contemporary their sourcebooks had a weird entwined existence with the golden age of the novels, and in our modern era passed into 'canon' via the need to fill endless hours of cartoons.

Um, actually.

TordelBack

Addendum: For example, Greedo was the first alien named on screen, but his species was just described as 'Martian' during production, and later 'a Greedo' in the RotJ production, but his current species name 'Rodian' was invented by WEG in their RPG, before appearing in (I think) the Shadows of the Empire novelisation, then used in the production notes for Episode 1, before finally entering 'canon' in Clone Wars Season 1, 30 years after the character's first appearance.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 18 November, 2020, 09:21:14 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 November, 2020, 01:20:57 AM

You didn't say "Um, actually" so don't get any points. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

QuoteLike most of the background aliens, he's named for obvious physical descriptors, i.e. he has (Th)ree (E)ye(e)s.

Well I never.  Do you have any other examples?  I'd always assumed SW names were kind of random - except, of course, when they sound like something cool like 'Solo' or 'Fortuna', or something nasty like 'Rancor' or 'Salacious'.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

Jeez. The stink of nerd in here is overpowering.

Sorry, nerf.

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2020, 02:20:25 PM
Quote from: TordelbackLike most of the background aliens, he's named for obvious physical descriptors, i.e. he has (Th)ree (E)ye(e)s.
Well I never.  Do you have any other examples?  I'd always assumed SW names were kind of random - except, of course, when they sound like something cool like 'Solo' or 'Fortuna', or something nasty like 'Rancor' or 'Salacious'.
Snaggletooth. Hammerhead. Walrus Man. And that's before you've even left the cantina.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: I, Cosh on 19 November, 2020, 08:52:59 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 November, 2020, 02:20:25 PM
Quote from: TordelbackLike most of the background aliens, he's named for obvious physical descriptors, i.e. he has (Th)ree (E)ye(e)s.
Snaggletooth. Hammerhead. Walrus Man. And that's before you've even left the cantina.

Ah. I don't remember them, but yeah, I see your point.

von Boom

Sorry to derail this thread somewhat, but Disney has refused to pay royalties to Star Wars/Alien author Alan Dean Foster. Pretty despicable behaviour.

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2020/11/sfwa-takes-aim-at-disney-for-non.html

Foster is currently undergoing treatment for cancer and this feels like Disney is just being mean for meanness sake. I've haven't subscribed to Disney+ or seen The Mandalorian and now I likely never will.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

wedgeski

Why must they be such shits? 'We bought everything except the obligation to pay you for your work.' Fuck's sake.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: von Boom on 19 November, 2020, 01:56:16 PM
Sorry to derail this thread somewhat, but Disney has refused to pay royalties to Star Wars/Alien author Alan Dean Foster. Pretty despicable behaviour.

You can email Disney's "Corporate Social Responsibility" team via this page.

Here's mine:

QuoteAs a consumer of Disney products, a Disney+ subscriber and someone who works in the creative industries, I am not merely disappointed but outraged and furious at the recent revelations concerning royalty payments to author Alan Dean Foster.

Regardless of any legal minutiae, this matter is in principle immoral and cynical. As a corporation that prides itself on projecting an image of decency and morality, this is in every respect antithetical to the values you purport to hold.

I would urge you to reconsider this cruel and unjustifiable position, not least because of the moral and intellectual obligations you should discharge with honour and decency towards Mr Foster, but to uphold the most basic principles of fairness in your dealings with the many creative people on whose efforts your enterprise depends for its very existence.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.