Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

These are explicitly unfertilised eggs, though. Even extreme pro-lifers might hesitate to call them babies.

I'd be more concerned with everyone enthusiastically chomping down on the meat of something that apparently lives on Tusken Raiders.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2020, 02:39:22 PM
I'd be more concerned with everyone enthusiastically chomping down on the meat of something that apparently lives on Tusken Raiders.

Sounds like a recipe for Kraytzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

I'll get me coat...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2020, 02:39:22 PM
These are explicitly unfertilised eggs, though. Even extreme pro-lifers might hesitate to call them babies.

It intentionally played the uncomfortable line but I suppose the other intention was to get away from the kid solely being seen and used as a cute and vulnerable magic puppet – not just a mogwai but also bit of a gremlin.

shaolin_monkey

Nature or nurture, eh? We can't assume all Yodas are born inherently moral and good!

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 November, 2020, 03:11:20 PM
... not just a mogwai but also bit of a gremlin.

It's by far the best thing about the Child, IMHO. A true child of the Force, light and dark in balance, and potential to move towards either, as expounded by Old Man Luke. It also plays quite nicely into the idea that it was born at the exact same time as Anakin, as another answer to the Prophecy.

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 November, 2020, 07:45:36 PM
Nature or nurture, eh? We can't assume all Yodas are born inherently moral and good!

The wit and wisdom of Dredd on...  The Child
"Let me see whether I find a misguided child... or a creature of malice -- I see only... EVIL!"

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2020, 08:44:26 PM
It also plays quite nicely into the idea that it was born at the exact same time as Anakin, as another answer to the Prophecy.

I missed that bit. Is that calculated by counting back its age or is it made explicit?

TordelBack

Just counting, for now. Mando set about 9 years after the Battle of Yavin with Anakin born about 41 years before that. The Child is canonically 50, so if they weren't born at the same time it was very close.

TordelBack

Just to expand and expound a little, this is all just fun speculating. One of the problems I see with modern SW is that fans*, being fans, spend the time between episodes/movies coming up with their own stories and theories, which on its own is great: it's what has kept me engaged for 40+ years.

But these adult fans (of all genres) don't keep these ideas in their box of Palitoy action figures, or argue about them over a beer with others of similar immaturity. Instead they stick them on the Internet, and build followers and brands around them. Then when the next piece of media inevitably diverges from or contradicts whatever they've made-up and publicly tied their self-worth to, they get upset, and sometimes downright angry. The money-grubbing hacks have betrayed them, misunderstood something that only ever existed in their head. A crusade is in order.

This is the tragedy of publicly-validated private expectation, and it seems to hover over all genres now. And given that it drives traffic, and that's all that matters to both producer and consumer alike now, I don't see it getting better.

Which is a long way of saying, any theorising I do about SW or anything else is purely for fun, and shouldn't be read as serious analysis. I'll enjoy going wherever this show takes me, even if it's just a wild-west space-ronin bumming around seedy backwater worlds without any tie-in to the "larger story", which I rather hope it is.

*I feel your judgement, Mr. Pops. I feel it.

Bolt-01

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 November, 2020, 09:39:34 AM
. I'll enjoy going wherever this show takes me, even if it's just a wild-west space-ronin bumming around seedy backwater worlds without any tie-in to the "larger story", which I rather hope it is.

This - I really hope that this is just exactly what we are getting.

Rately

Okay, not a massive fan of the Star Wars movies, with the recent additions not doing much for me in any way, shape or form, but... the trailers look excellent, the casting choices - Werner Herzog! - are pretty great, so i'm wondering can i dive into series 1 or do i need to re-watch the movies so i don't miss anything!

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 November, 2020, 09:39:34 AM
One of the problems I see with modern SW is ... fans

I've made a slight edit to your post above, but I think it makes the same point.

This also unfortunately applies to much of comics (2000AD "fan" pages being a good case in point).

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Rately on 09 November, 2020, 02:15:44 PM
Okay, not a massive fan of the Star Wars movies, with the recent additions not doing much for me in any way, shape or form, but... the trailers look excellent, the casting choices - Werner Herzog! - are pretty great, so i'm wondering can i dive into series 1 or do i need to re-watch the movies so i don't miss anything!

You could have been living under a rock on Mars since Return of the Jedi and watch this without missing anything but some subtle easter eggs, which I probably missed too.

Honestly "there was once an Evil Galactic Empire which was defeated in a big Star War" is probably all the context you need.
You may quote me on that.

Rately

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 November, 2020, 02:30:35 PM

You could have been living under a rock on Mars since Return of the Jedi and watch this without missing anything but some subtle easter eggs, which I probably missed too.

Honestly "there was once an Evil Galactic Empire which was defeated in a big Star War" is probably all the context you need.

Happy days! Thanks for replying.

I've the time over the next few days to get some episodes watched, so i'm looking forward to giving it a go.

The fact it looks like a Western really appeals to me, and it looks suitably down and dirty to appeal to my sensibilities.

sheridan

Probably helps if you know what a Mandalorian is, but I think you could probably dive in without knowing anything at all about Star Wars.  I think the easter eggs are just that - little extras for those in the know but unobtrusive to everybody else.