Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

This is an appalling situation. I greatly enjoy Disney's overall output, and between myself and the family have happily shovelled cash at them, despite moral qualms about the impact if their increasingly huge influence. Even aside from the general immorality of their royslties position, I have personally loved ADF's two SW novels (the novelisation was the only way I had to watch SW, pre-video) and two of his Alien ones, as well as his Trek and Spellsinger work, and feel deep anger about his treatment. 

This situation has to be remedied, and if it is not I will cancel our subscription to Disney+ and stop purchasing all their licensed products.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 November, 2020, 03:10:31 PM
This situation has to be remedied, and if it is not I will cancel our subscription to Disney+ and stop purchasing all their licensed products.

Tell them, via the link on the previous page. I fear it's only threats to their bottom line that will change their position on this and the more people who threaten that, the more likely they are to relent.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Meant to say, I had done exactly that.  And believe me, between all their various tendrils,  Disney get a nontrivial amount of my cash.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 November, 2020, 03:02:28 PM

You can email Disney's "Corporate Social Responsibility" team via this page.

Cheers for that link, Jim. I'm going to spread it around after I submit a letter of my own.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I loved Foster's trek books as a kid. Now I feel less guilty about using my sister's log-in to watch it, instead of paying for my own subscription.

Um, actually... I never felt guilty at all
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Had to laugh at the topical irony of the first [spoiler]Mimbanese[/spoiler] in a speaking role in this week's Mandalorian (VG, ***). [spoiler]Mimban [/spoiler]was of course introduced in Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye, with numerous other EU appearances, entering Disney canon with a mention in The Clone Wars, before its [spoiler]murky on-screen debut in Solo as notVietnam[/spoiler], with one of its natives in Enfys Nest's Cloud Riders (presume the same rather lovely mask is being used here). 

But no, no need to pay Foster piddling royalties on some book that he wrote 45 years ago, his work is completely irrelevant to the acquisitions of Disney Corp today.

sheridan

Was the [spoiler]Mimbanese[/spoiler] the [spoiler]mechanic who betrayed[/spoiler] Mando?

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 23 November, 2020, 11:45:25 AM
Was the [spoiler]Mimbanese[/spoiler] the [spoiler]mechanic who betrayed[/spoiler] Mando?

The very same.  Shit-hot at his job though, [spoiler]string-and-seaweed macramé to shiny chrome finish in the time it takes to wipe out an Imperial base[/spoiler]...

JayzusB.Christ

Hadn't thought about that, but fair point.  It reminds me of Vikings (WHICH I WAS IN), when they'd ask Floki the boat-builder for a ship, and he'd single-handedly have a huge, fully functioning Viking longboat thrown together for them the next day. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Chapter 13: Surely this show can't get any better than this. This week was a flawless realisation of what could have been a complete disaster. So many questions, but mainly, what awaits us on Tython?

HEAVY SPOILERS: Soooo... [spoiler]Ghost Yoda appeared to Ezra at the former Jedi Temple on Lothal, and to Luke at the former Temple on Ahch-To (Frank Oz voiced both). Is it possible that he shows up to chat to Grogu at the Temple on Tython?[/spoiler]

As to [spoiler]the Grogu business, look, we found out Mando's name last season and it didn't change a thing. [/spoiler]

A bigger deal was [spoiler]that we learnt he was trained at the Temple on Coruscant. Do we think this was during the 10 years before Anakin showed up,  and that he disappeared before TPM, or was he there right up to the Clone Wars? Did Dooku snaffle him?  If the latter, it must have been quite the secret.[/spoiler]

Think I need a re-watch!

TordelBack

And a re-watch suggests that I'm talking bollocks,  which I'm sure will come as a shock to you all. I have the chronology of the Child all arsewise, although actually that makes it even more interesting.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm not half as versed in SW lore as you, but that was a belter of an episode.  A [spoiler]Kill Bill ninja fight[/spoiler] and [spoiler]a Sergio Leone gun duel,[/spoiler] happening at the same time.

And the kid [spoiler]couldn't be nameless forever,[/spoiler] could he?  We've even seen the [spoiler]Mandalorian's face[/spoiler] and he's lost none of his mystique.

Sci Fi doesn't get much better than this.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

As a child I used to dream of how a Star Wars TV series would look. Now I'm watching it, and it's so much better than I could have imagined.

It is the TV sci-fi equivalent of all the best drugs - speed 'cos you're wide awake and laser focussed on the show, ecstasy 'cos you're so happy and in love with everything and everyone you see, and coke 'cos you think it has all been tailored just for you.

Plus it allows you to escape from a shitty world for a little while.

TordelBack

Great analogies! I, err, think.

It is genuinely phenomenal, though. Tonight is by far the biggest TV night of the year in Ireland, the annual Late Late Toy Show, and when my youngest girl got home from school she announced that her teacher had given the whole class hot chocolate and marshmallow kits to drink while they were watching it.

Alas, this kind gesture was rebuffed, as my brat and her mate announced that they would be watching The Mandalorian instead* (in the event we stretched it to both).

Quite a thing to feel - and see - this level of excitement every week.

* I appreciate that this may appear to fall into the "never happened" category of internet tales, but if required I can place my daughter on the stand.