Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 November, 2020, 01:20:30 PMI hesitate to use the word 'logic' in connection with SW fandom, but by that logic he was never 'resurrected', either, surely?

That holds until he appears in SOLO.

Professor Bear

The picture in Solo was so dark, could anyone really say that was him?

TordelBack

There's lots more to do with [spoiler]Maul[/spoiler], we haven't seen the last of him by a long chalk, but it's fitting that his story doesn't extend into the OT. He's the great villain/victim of the Prequel era, and should stay that way.

I'd say the bigger issue is that [spoiler]Ray Park[/spoiler] would hunt you down and kill you if you said it wasn't really [spoiler]Maul[/spoiler] in Solo. He apparently spent months getting back in fighting trim, and then just sat there in studio mouthing lines.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 November, 2020, 01:28:22 PM
That holds until he appears in SOLO.

Aha. I'll confess I hadn't considered where Solo slots into the timeline.

EDIT: Quality nerding in this thread.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

I prefer Maul when he has spider legs.  Nothing else to add (though I did like the clip posted above that had Obi-Wan simultaneously looking like an older Ewan and a younger Alec).

judgeurko

Quote from: Professor Bear on 30 November, 2020, 01:41:59 PM
The picture in Solo was so dark, could anyone really say that was him?
Yes it was him. Sadly

TordelBack

Chapter 14: Well, it took all of 40 years, but finally [spoiler]live-action Boba Fett did something[/spoiler]. And it was well worth the wait. Still the OG.

Another outstanding episode, with some pretty serious shocks and a lot of plot, and I can honestly say that as the end approached I was desperately hoping the next ship to show up would be Luke's X-Wing, just so someone, anyone, could save the day. Fun to be so involved again.

Perhaps the biggest nerds-only revelation this week was [spoiler]that after 18 years of uncertainty Jango Fett is confirmed as a Mandalorian. Again[/spoiler]. I can't decide if Karen Traviss should be more or less pissed off about that.

shaolin_monkey

When [spoiler]SLAVE1 hove into view [/spoiler] I did a little cheer.

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 December, 2020, 12:04:29 AM
Chapter 14: Well, it took all of 40 years, but finally [spoiler]live-action Boba Fett did something[/spoiler]. And it was well worth the wait. Still the OG.

Another outstanding episode, with some pretty serious shocks and a lot of plot, and I can honestly say that as the end approached I was desperately hoping the next ship to show up would be Luke's X-Wing, just so someone, anyone, could save the day. Fun to be so involved again.

Perhaps the biggest nerds-only revelation this week was [spoiler]that after 18 years of uncertainty Jango Fett is confirmed as a Mandalorian. Again[/spoiler]. I can't decide if Karen Traviss should be more or less pissed off about that.

[spoiler]After Boba shows Din that holographic readout proving his armour was given to Jango by the mandalorians it suddenly occurred to me that father and son wear the same armour. Jango's armour has always been a similar style to Boba's, but the different colours led me to think it was a different set. And even in the original trilogy Boba's was always a bit more worn looking.

Then it occurred to me he probably just slapped on some green paint at some point, and it saw a lot of wear over the years. Dur! (Unless Jango was gifted two sets, but that's probably unlikely.[/spoiler]

Anyway, another very good episode. I wish Din Djarin got to do a bit more in these episodes, as this is the third episode in a row where he seemed to vanish for a fair chunk of time while the guest star characters did most of the botty kicking. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see them do their thing, just a bit more balance showing them operating as a team would be nice. A small peev, as we've seen Din do plenty in the past.

[spoiler]How cool and fearsome were those Dark Troopers? Robots or cyborgs? I'm thinking the latter.[/spoiler]

TordelBack

There are a few continuity issues with [spoiler]Boba's armour being Jango's. For one thing, the gauntlets aren't remotely the same, and for another Boba deliberately blows up the helmet in Clone Wars Season 2.[/spoiler] I choose to believe that either [spoiler](a)  Jango kept some spares in Slave 1 (we know he had two jet packs,  for example), or  more likely (b)  Boba had the beskar reforged to his own specs, and more generally, (c) it's Jango's in the manner of Trigger's broom. [/spoiler].Note too that this Armour had been confirmed in Disney canon to not be beskar,  but we all knew it was anyway.

On a major positive,  I've been waiting four entire decades to [spoiler]see Boba use the knee-darts as labelled on the original Palitoy mailaway action figure [/spoiler]advert, and I was most pleased that they matched a thousand plastic precedents. I clearly remember playing with  that action figure while I watched the first Columbia launch (he frequently doubled as an spacesuited astronaut), that's how long it's been.

JayzusB.Christ

I really enjoyed that episode but I have to ask, and I'm sorry if I've missed something, but isn't [spoiler]Boba Fett dead[/spoiler]?  Maybe there were [spoiler]Fire People with special nets down the Sarlaac.[/spoiler]

I have non problem at all with his [spoiler]face being revealed- it's a kind of Dredd thing, where it's fine if it's all scarred with acid, or even Sarlaac juice. I'll even accept that the Sarlaac makes your accent go all Kiwi.[/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 December, 2020, 11:55:29 AM
I have non problem at all with his [spoiler]face being revealed- it's a kind of Dredd thing, where it's fine if it's all scarred with acid, or even Sarlaac juice. I'll even accept that the Sarlaac makes your accent go all Kiwi.[/spoiler]

Given that [spoiler]Boba is a clone of Jango, as are all the troopers in Clone Wars, it's not exactly a surprise that Boba is going to look exactly like Temuera Morrison, is it?[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

I'm sorry if I've missed something, but isn't [spoiler]Boba Fett dead[/spoiler]? 

[spoiler]Boba being alive[/spoiler] has been part of Star Wars lore for decades. If you don't see a body in Star Wars, death is never certain.

[spoiler]Going only by the evidence of what's presented in the OT, of all the characters to return Boba's is the most plausible: he wasn't struck a fatal blow; he has armour and a jet-pack, and Jabba's sail barge blew-up rather spectacularly over the mouth of the Sarlacc – all that fiery debris probably damaged it severely, or killed it.[/spoiler]

NapalmKev

I really enjoyed that episode but I have to ask, and I'm sorry if I've missed something, but isn't [spoiler]Boba Fett dead[/spoiler]?  Maybe there were [spoiler]Fire People with special nets down the Sarlaac.[/spoiler]

Heavy spoilers if you've not read any of the EU/Legends books: [spoiler]After being swallowed by the Sarlacc Boba encounters the remains of a female Jedi who was swallowed many years prior and after a conversation with her, he manages to kill the creature from the inside and gets vomited back into the desert where he is found by a fellow bounty hunter and rescued.[/spoiler]

It's better than I make it sound!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JayzusB.Christ

Ah. I see. Thanks, guys. The Mandalorian has awakened a love of Star Wars I haven't really had since I was a kid, so I've missed a lot of the lore in the meantime. I didn't hate the prequels, and the new ones are ok, but nothing SW has gripped me like this since seeing ROTJ in the cinema for the first time.

QuoteGiven that Boba is a clone of Jango, as are all the troopers in Clone Wars, it's not exactly a surprise that Boba is going to look exactly like Temuera Morrison, is it?

While I do remember Boba's old man being a Kiwi (mainly through a mate gleefully doing impressions of him afterwards) , I'd forgotten Boba[spoiler] himself was a clone[/spoiler].  That said, there's also Dredd 2012 syndrome, where we know that the big man would look exactly like Billy Butcher and Bones McCoy if he took the helmet off, but we'd still go mental if he did it.

I seem to remember that [spoiler]stormtroopers are all clones of the Fetts too? [/spoiler] Memories are a bit patchy there though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"