Main Menu

Carano, Whedon and all that

Started by Professor Bear, 11 February, 2021, 01:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Voluntary worship I'd agree with. Imposed worship, absolutely not.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 February, 2021, 08:05:04 PM

What if it was worship of taxation?

I'll get me coat...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 February, 2021, 08:09:55 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 February, 2021, 08:05:04 PM

What if it was worship of taxation?

I'll get me coat...

So long as it's voluntary, sure.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 February, 2021, 08:19:02 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 February, 2021, 08:05:04 PMVoluntary worship I'd agree with
At school, as part of lessons?

So long as it's voluntary, sure.

Not up to me to decide for other people.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 February, 2021, 07:43:44 PM
Generally ignored? Our school still does it. Everyone fairly locally I know says their school does it. It might be minimised to some degree, but even then it's still a legal requirement — and that should not be the case in British schools.

Hmm, maybe primary is different to secondary.  TBH the religious dimension in pretty much every comp I've worked in over the last 20 years doesn't even pay it lip service.  It's more a 'thought for the day' / inspiring message type thing.  By the time you get to year 11 it isn't even that much.  About the only time there is much of a push it's about the time of inspection, just enough to avoid the kids telling inspectors they're only doing it for the week ...

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 February, 2021, 07:15:59 PM
every assembly seemed to be an act of worship of the PE department.

That tickled me.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

What tickles me was how we got here from "She was sacked for being a bigot"  (via Joss Whedon being a dick. And some other incel nonsense)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Recrewt

Moving back to the original topic....

I'm sure that I saw somewhere a bit ago that Disney were going to clamp down on its 'stars' use of social media.  There's been many incidents where fans have been insulted on social media and the execs have probably realised that if you are going to alienate every Star Wars fan who is a dick then you're going to lose a large portion of your audience!

Gina Carano had a history of contentious tweets and I suspect they were looking for a reason to fire her for a while and lets be honest, she was only a minor character in the Mandalorian.  Pedro Pascal has also had to delete some of his tweets promptly and while you could argue that his liberal bias is more in tune with Disney than Carano's views, it would also be a lot harder to replace him. 

CalHab

Some stars use social media quite effectively, building a personal following and rapport with fans, most do not. I'm a bit bewildered about why they do it. Is it an ego thing?

I agree that replacing Pascal would be a serious issue (even if what he'd said was comparable, which it isn't from what I've seen), but Carano can very easily be written out. She was a pretty underdeveloped character and her plot role can be served by any hired muscle with a big gun.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Users on  Baen's Bar, including various moderators, have been accused of advocating for political violence following the failed insurrection by Trump supporters in January. Meanwhile, a new book is coming out detailing the dark side of Stan Lee, including allegations of racism, homophobia and misogyny.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

von Boom

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 21 February, 2021, 11:46:01 PM
Users on  Baen's Bar, including various moderators, have been accused of advocating for political violence following the failed insurrection by Trump supporters in January. Meanwhile, a new book is coming out detailing the dark side of Stan Lee, including allegations of racism, homophobia and misogyny.
I've been following the Baen's Bar issue for a while and it may be a case of too little too late. Toni Weisskopf has already been removed as Guest of Honour for the 2021 Worldcon and may only be the beginning of the end for Baen.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 21 February, 2021, 11:46:01 PMMeanwhile, a new book is coming out detailing the dark side of Stan Lee, including allegations of racism, homophobia and misogyny.

I suppose with all the Lee hagiographies, an author has to stand out somehow, but that really reads like a bit of a lazy hatchet job.  I'd be more surprised if someone had got to Lee's age and managed to not say something stupid, offensive or thoughtless - especially in the context of a heated family argument - because they'd likely be the only person in history to do so.

CalHab

If that's the Abraham Riesman biography of Stan Lee, then I'm trudging it through it just now. It's pretty turgid stuff so far and, ironically for a biography of Lee, is sorely in need of a good editor. I haven't reached any "controversial" stuff so far beyond saying that he screwed creators out of rights, which is not exactly news.