Main Menu

Justice League: The Snyder Cut - worth watching?

Started by Bad City Blue, 22 March, 2021, 12:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Well as someone who isn't a huge fan of Snyder and hated the first version I bloody loved it!

Comicscene review

https://comicscene.org/2021/03/21/comicscene-spolier-free-review-justice-league-the-snyder-cut/
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

I enjoyed it about as much as I did the theatrical release.

There were some lovely extra scenes but were the all necessary?

judgeurko

No. One of the worst most mind numbing annoying films I have ever seen, completely artistically without merit.

dweezil2

I'm vaguely intrigued to see how much turd polishing was required to make the original film even barely watchable or coherent, but I can certainly wait until it's on a free to view channel or in the DVD bargain bin, such is my relative disinterest in superhero movies.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

milstar

I am not sure if I can sit through 4 hrs of grim, humorless superheroics, whose running time seems appropiate for masochists. I only wonder how much additional shooting has been required for this cut. I find hard to believe that Snyder intended 4 hrs to have his first JL film, which wasn't even properly finished prior to Whedon taking over direction chair and post production supervision.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: milstar on 22 March, 2021, 11:58:17 PM
I only wonder how much additional shooting has been required for this cut.

Mostly consists of the most superfluous part, the epilogue.

Snyder assembled the cast and crew in 2020 to shoot one sequence which he has not revealed details of just yet and another involving Jared Leto's Joker. "First of all, let's just clarify, there's like two bits that I added," Snyder says. "One bit that I had really sort of hoped to shoot in post but never got the chance to and then one, that scene, with Jared. This whole little piece with Jared. The truth is, the rest of the four hours of the movie are really just what I shot.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/justice-league-zack-snyder-new-scenes-joker-leto/

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 22 March, 2021, 01:16:21 PM
I enjoyed it about as much as I did the theatrical release.

There were some lovely extra scenes but were the all necessary?

100%, for the plot to make sense, the characters to have depth... it all makes a HUGE difference to the flat, insipid and confusing mess that was first brought out
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

broodblik

As BCB is saying the Snyder Cut's plot makes a lot more sense and the added scenes for the different characters gave them much more depth.

What is also a point not always brought forth is that the Cut is broken down in 6 chapters plus an epilogue. You do not need to watch this in one sitting.

JOE SOAP

You could cut an hour and a half out of Justice League and it would still make as much plot and character sense as it does now.

10% of the film is in slow-motion.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 March, 2021, 11:59:30 PM
You could cut an hour and a half out of Justice League and it would still make as much plot and character sense as it does now.

10% of the film is in slow-motion.

And by God, weren't they glorious!!! :D
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Mardroid

I watched it recently. It was enjoyable enough. Despite being four hours I wasn't bored at all. That being said, I didn't find it all that different from the theatrical cut (which I also liked) although if I'd watched them back to back I'd probably have picked up on more.

It probably is the better of the two in a lot of ways in that you get more character depth for Cyborg and the horned spiky bad guy with the German sounding name, which I've forgotten. And the Darkseid stuff was cool. And I liked [spoiler]that extra twist where the Flash helps to save the day. I much preferred this to the stuff with Superman sidelining him and the stuff with the Russian family in the other cut.[/spoiler]

Tonally it's quite different, quite somber and worshipful - the latter I could have done without. [spoiler]Credit where it's due, those ladies singing a hymn while Aquaman returns to the sea had beautiful voices, but I found the scene a bit cringey.[/spoiler] On the other hand, I liked some of the humour in the Whedon cut.

I think my favourite take would be a mixture of both cuts, but with some of the padding removed.

The epilogue was interesting, but did feel a bit superfluous. Well, unless they do something with it in future films. I guess it's possible. [spoiler]Although considered not canon, that could change, and besides, this extra stuff doesn't really contradict what happened in the theatrical release all that much, so it could have happened offscreen as it were. I'm getting a bit tired of the dark superman thing though. Let him be the proper hero from now on.[/spoiler]

Rara Avis

It is worth the watch I think but turn it off at the first ending; there are some superfluous scenes at the end.