Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Low Life vs. Nemesis and Deadlock Round 2 Heat 03

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 January, 2022, 06:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Welcome to Round 2, week 1 . This is where things get really interesting. All the big hitters are in the draw and let me tell you there are some ties coming up that will get the hearts racing and the camera's out for live coverage. They will cover acres of print on the back pages. There are also ties that will barely get mentioned on their local radio news summary. Week 1 however does feel a little like a warm up however. It hasn't got any of the high profile draws I hoped it might to kick us off, but it does start to hint at what's to come...

Today brings the biggest ties of the week I'd suggest. First off a modern(ish) favourite that had a number of lead characters as it developed. Coming up against a mystery whodunnit that started life as a vehicle for two lead characters (and you could say didn't live up to the quality of either). Which gets under your cover?

Low Life - more info

Vs

Nemesis and Deadlock - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 21st January  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Magnetica

AlexF

Low Life - because it's consistently good and got better and better as it went along.
Pausing to acknowledge that I did love the idea of a murder mystery with Nemesis and Deadlock as detective partners, but did not love it as much when it turned out to be a genereal skewering of various concepts of magic, while still basically saying "my magick is better than yours, nyah nyah."

abelardsnazz

Nemesis and Deadlock both had finer hours than in their joint series, although Carl Critchlow's art was great. Low Life gave us numerous ongoing characters and threads for Dredd, and Frank is a brilliant creation.

Low Life.

rogue69

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Low Life. Neither Deadlock nor Nemesis was particularly well-served by their joint series - and who could have believed how boring their team-up could be?!
@jamesfeistdraws

Blue Cactus

Low Life, one of my favourite strips from the last 20 years or so. Great characters I really cared about with proper character arcs for the leads. Some fantastic art from Flint, D'Israeli, Coleby and Dayglo. Some of Disraeli's covers were wonderful too, that stained glass type one springs to mind.

IndigoPrime

Nemesis and Deadlock was so throwaway, with a twist that was telegraphed to the point you may as well have skipped to the end. Low Life was packed full of intrigue and double-cross. An easy win for Low Life.

JayzusB.Christ

For me, Nemesis and Deadlock was kind of the beginning of the end of Pat Mills' glory years.  I'm not a massive fan of Rob Williams' characterisation of Dredd, but Low Life is where he shows his skills most.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Barrington Boots

I can only echo what's been said by my fellow posters: Nemesis and Deadlock looked cool and promised an interesting murder mystery... but it didn't deliver.
Low Life was a pretty special bit of work, 100% gets my vote.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Nemesis was one of the stories that was running in my first few months as a squaxx (Book III if you're interested) while Deadlock was probably my favourite ABC Warrior (at least from a visual standpoint).  I was familiar with Critchlow from the White Dwarf / Thrud days and think the art droid's work for IDW was some of the better offerings.

Nemesis Vs Deadlock however?  A low point in the careers of all involved (not the lowest for Pat, but it was way before the second wind with Savage, Defoe and the like).

So Low Life.  Probably the only time when I'd vote against Nem.

paddykafka

Low Life.

I've always liked stories involving the Wally Squad - I wonder how it got its name? - and 'Dirty Frank' is one of my favourite supporting characters in Dredd.