Main Menu

2000 AD's Thrills per Year 1977-2021

Started by Funt Solo, 30 January, 2022, 03:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Inspired by some discussion in another thread about it being difficult to track some of the long-running stories, and it perhaps also being difficult to define the comic (in terms of core thrills), I wanted to throw some data at the perception and see what happened.

So this chart is Thrills per Year (1977 to 2021):

(I also did one that adjusted for page count, but it doesn't change the overall picture, really. Small two-parters, such as Maze Dumoir, count as equally as a 26-part epic, and I didn't combine the analogy thrills such as Time Twisters and Future Shocks. So - lots of small, bitty thrills can throw things off a little.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

What will also be interesting to see is the total number of writers per cycle as well then I am sure we will see that we have more writers contributing today then in the yearly years.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Firstly and most importantly can I salute not the hard work that has gone into this but rather the simply magnificent names you have used to express the peaks and troughs. Genius sir.

The graph demostrates an absolutely fascinating trend of progressive increase in the number of thrills being seen year to year. All be it with clear ups and downs.

For me the really interesting bit is the massive impact of Sinister Dexter and Nikolai Dante on the Prog. I've long held the theory that David Bishop's use of these two thrills, alongside Wagner Dredd, saved the Prog and gave it the stability needed to make the mistakes that the restless experimentation of the time necessitated.

I think the experiementation and peak in numbers now is for different raises to the peak ahead of S&D and Dante. Then change was needed as the Prog needed to find its. It was suffering horribly in quality and nothing was sticking as nothing was good, until those two thrills (again with Wagner Dredd) provided the strong base.

Now the change needed now is different. There is arguably too much quality and not enough time to fit it all in and for creators to craft the thrills. The change needed now is in audience. We're getting old and Tharg needs to find a way to open to doors to new readers, so that quantity and quality has a vehicle, however patient we have to be to get to it.

Thanks for doing this Funt Solo.

IndigoPrime

What I find interesting here is that the highest peak bar the current one was 2000 AD's nadir. Whatever people might think about the current state of the Prog, it's objectively significantly better than back then, even if it could sometimes do with giving certain strips a boost in momentum.

davidbishop

Colin's theory is accurate. Suspect I may have stated it somewhere in TPO. Short version: inspired by Steve Mac's Golden Age, I opted for a similar strategy: longer runs, use Dredd and two reader faves as the tentpoles front, centre and back. Then the second and fourth slots were free for new strips, experiments and places for emerging talent to experiment/learn their craft.

Both Sin/Dex and Dante were commissioned before I moved over to the weekly on 18 Dec 1995. It took another 15 months before Dante was ready to run, with enough episodes in the plans chest to give the strip a decent residency in the comic. Sin/Dex got extended as a stopgap when another strip [Slaine? Finn?] wasn't ready. By the end of that initial run S/D was rising up the reader poll, building an audience.

Once S/D and Dante proved they had legs, I was very happy to make them the new tent poles so the likes of Friday and Johnny Alpha-free Stronts could be retired.

It wasn't a strategy that could last forever, but seemed more likely to succeed than a poker player asking for four new cards every chance they got in the hope of finding something better.

broodblik

Thanks anyway my favorite AD strip of all time is Dante and you allowed it to become the strip we have today.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

davidbishop

When the quality is that good, get out the way and let the creators do their thing.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: davidbishop on 30 January, 2022, 02:16:20 PM
When the quality is that good, get out the way and let the creators do their thing.

Something you get the impression 2000ad has long been good at for a long time, but other, bigger companies don't seem able to learn.

Leigh S

Excellent

What happens if you remove the Regened though? I know technically they are in prog numbering, but they are also deliberately stand alone

One other graph I'd like to see is the top five/ten stories of each decade in terms of page count and how often they were in the prog as a percentage from first to last (on going) appearance.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 January, 2022, 03:08:29 PM
What happens if you remove the Regened though? I know technically they are in prog numbering, but they are also deliberately stand alone.

It'll be quite easy to treat those as specials. The data I've used is prog-only, so no Megs, no Sci-Fi Specials etc. I'll do a chart that adjusts Regened out, and I'm also curious to see what happens if I take out little two-fors like Superbean or Maze Dumoir, and consolidate some of the sporadic anthology thrills.

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 January, 2022, 03:08:29 PM
One other graph I'd like to see is the top five/ten stories of each decade in terms of page count and how often they were in the prog as a percentage from first to last (on going) appearance.

I could relatively easily do that in terms of episode count - page count would be trickier to tease out.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

yeah, episode count works just as well

Funt Solo

This one ditched Regened and blips (one or two-parters), and consolidated anthologies where it seemed to make sense. The blue line is the strict number of thrills, with the grey line adjusting for page count (as 1980 had 1504 pages to 1995's 2056).

The little grey-line leap at the end is where the pages of Regened get taken out but the prog is still producing the same amount of its own thrills. [Insert joke about Tharg and the efficacy of his mighty organ.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sintec

That's almost exactly the opposite of the graph of the amount of each year hachette have reprinted so far .

I guess this makes sense given the nature of the Hachette collections. The Ultimate Collection has tended to focus on the longer running epics over the one and dones. The troughs on your graph are the eras where those epics were in heavy rotation so unsurprisingly they're also the years where Hachette have reprinted the greatest amount of the stories from the prog.

Funt Solo

Tables Unite! That's great, sintec.

Okay, I know I've typed "appearances" incorrectly on all five of these charts, but I can't be arsed editing it now...

That Judge Dredd's pretty prolific.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

davidbishop

amazing work! suspect the 90s would look very different if split into two halves...