Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Sooner or Later vs. Ampney Crucis Round 2 Heat 127

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 May, 2022, 06:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

And we've done it... we've made it... the final week of the seemingly unending Round 2. It amazes me that we've stayed the distance, not killed each other over the course of these last 16 weeks, our love persists and maybe we need to take a break before charging headlong into anything else? I mean this week ends on a doozy, maybe we should take a break there and reflect.... Orrrr....

...see ya Monday for Round 3!

Final day and two blinders to end on. Sooner or Later is a McCarthy & Milligan delight, so of its time and yet so timeless. Very different and yet perfectly in place in 2000ad. Ampney Crucis shone bright and inter-dimensional and seemed to drop-off. Both are fantastically interesting and neither deserves to fall at this stage BUT we're ramping up the pressure to get ready for Round 3 here.

Sooner or Later - more info

Vs

Ampney Crucis - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 8th May and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

IndigoPrime

AlexF

Yet another tough draw, and two thrills that are almost impossible to compare. Sooner or Later hits plenty of my nostalgia buttons, not least the one that says 'I don't get this at ALL, but it looks cool and I'll get it when I'm older'. Some of the imagery in there remains unique and diverting - no one does future fashion design like Brendan McCarthy.

On the other hand, the story is a bit rubbish, really, too many tangents and blind alleys and half jokes. Ampney Crucis is by contrast rather well plotted and just accessible enough, depite the weird 'which dimension is he in now?' difficulties in the last couple of books. And it feels unfinished, which is a shame. Contrasting that you've got Simon Davis who might just be the best painter of accurate period work, and managed in I think every book to conjure up some deeply disconcerting imagery, whether its giant insects or leditrch monsters or even just hordes of naked people where you wouldn't expect to find them...

Ampney Crucis.

(As a slightly crude thought experiment, I wouldn't heistate to vote for Ampney over Bix Barton, but Bix vs Sooner or Later I would def have to think about)

Huey2

sintec

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++