Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Kingdom vs. Rogue Trooper Rd 5 Heat 13

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 August, 2022, 06:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I don't think the blades slide out of Gene's wrists. Doesn't he carry them on his back?

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

norton canes

Kingdom is pretty much my favourite strip since I came back to the prog in 2017. In fact, it was the cliff-hanger to the Kingdom episode in prog 2016, the first one I bought in 27 years, that persuaded me more than anything to buy the next one.

Thinking back to Rogue Trooper, it's a bit like Slaine in that it was only really the very early instalments that I massively enjoyed.

So while I'm grateful to Rogue Trooper for allowing Gordon Rennie to flesh out the world of Jaegir, the winner here is Kingdom.

Pyroxian

Much as I love classic Rogue (before he killed the traitor general), I have found Kingdom to be much more enjoyable.

Southstreeter

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 August, 2022, 08:40:40 AM
Abnett is good at ambiguous endings, isn't he? Like that time he finished Sinister Dexter.

Which particular time....?!

Southstreeter

Kingdom. The overall plot and backstory is a little confusing but the execution is magnificent, and I always look forward to it. I feel I ought to like Rogue more than I do, as it's managed to somehow assume 'classic' status.

Magnetica

Quote from: Southstreeter on 10 August, 2022, 12:56:35 PM
I feel I ought to like Rogue more than I do, as it's managed to somehow assume 'classic' status.

Being an almost ever present strip for around 200 Progs, in what is often described as the classic era, tends to lead to that sort of classification, I guess.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Aaron A Aardvark on 10 August, 2022, 08:07:34 AM
I'm not mad keen on Nominative determinism

This from the man who changed his name to be first in the phone book!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

This one is a toughie, as Kingdom is my favourite of the more recent thrills, while Rogue is definitely one of my very favourite, possibly most favourite, old school thrills.

Rogue Trooper.  Especially when Cam Kennedy was on it.  His pens were full of write.*

* Yeah, doesn't quite work given he's an artist but we can't all be Marlon Shakespeare.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Jim_Campbell

Abnett is good at ambiguous endings, isn't he?

Nothing as good as an ending that works equally well on land and in the water, I find...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

davidbishop

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 August, 2022, 02:41:59 PM
Abnett is good at ambiguous endings, isn't he?

Nothing as good as an ending that works equally well on land and in the water, I find...

Still waiting for Rogue Sailor.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

moly

Iff it was early rogue trooper it would be a no brainier but as an overall arc going with kingdom

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 August, 2022, 06:05:57 PM
Nort scum marines! Dispense anti-pun grenades!

'Close the curtains, Geoffrey, I'm ambiguous!"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rogue Judge

I have a lot of love for Rogue...but Kingdom is the series that I'll re-read more often and the series I want more of.