Main Menu

Catchphrases

Started by Funt Solo, 01 November, 2022, 05:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Prize for the most unwieldy catchphrase has to go to Sam Slade ("That's S-L-A-Y-E-D to you!"), because by the time he's finished saying it, whichever robo he's hunting will either have made good their escape or killed him around the "L".

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Plus it's hard to hear over all the shooting.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 November, 2022, 05:38:33 PM
Prize for the most unwieldy catchphrase has to go to Sam Slade ("That's S-L-A-Y-E-D to you!"), because by the time he's finished saying it, whichever robo he's hunting will either have made good their escape or killed him around the "L".

Plus all the problems Sam has with his bank statements, tax returns, library card etc.
"You've got my name wrong again!"
"But sir, you told us it was spelt S-L-A-Y-E-D!"

It reminds me of that Morecambe & Wise sketch where Des O'Connor is slapping Eric Morecambe across the chops as he spells out various words - "I'm TOUGH - T-O-U-G-H, tough!" - he slaps out a couple of other words then asks Ernie for a suggestion.  "Unscrupulous!" comes the reply.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JohnW

DR & Quinch's 'Eat plutonium death, you disgusting alien weirdoes!' may not quite trip off the tongue, but it has a lot going for it.
I try and slip it into everyday conversation as often as possible.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

AlexF

Most inapt catchphrase: "Let's Knife", as uttered by a soldier who uses a self-firing rifle most of the time.

Dark Jimbo

Prize for the most unwieldy catchphrase has to go to Sam Slade ("That's S-L-A-Y-E-D to you!")...

I've always rather liked Sam's other, somewhat overlooked, catchphrase ('The C stands for...)

It's part of his internal monologue - his narration for the reader - so it doesn't matter if it's a bit long or unwieldy, and it's often very funny.        S-L-A-Y-E-D is funny the first time, and then a bit preposterous.
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

JayzusB.Christ

Before Dante began to grow on me, and it took a very long time, it really used to irk me how every time he said something that was meant to be snappy or memorable it was all in bold.  'I'm too cool to kill. 'Don't eat any yellow snow.'  'Look at this sentence. Look at it. It's funny and cool. Look. Are you still looking?.'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: AlexF on 02 November, 2022, 12:31:48 PM
Most inapt catchphrase: "Let's Knife", as uttered by a soldier who uses a self-firing rifle most of the time.

2000 AD special edition of The Great British Bake Off...

Fr1day: "[At last this makes sense] ... Let's knife!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2022, 01:35:43 PM
Before Dante began to grow on me, and it took a very long time, it really used to irk me how every time he said something that was meant to be snappy or memorable it was all in bold.  'I'm too cool to kill. 'Don't eat any yellow snow.'  'Look at this sentence. Look at it. It's funny and cool. Look. Are you still looking?.'

I think you might be onto something there.
Nikolai Dante ran for 15 years.
Now go and look at Moon Runners.
What do you see? No catchphrases in bold type.
Never made it to a third series.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Blue Cactus

'I'm too cool to kill' makes me wince to this day. It's a horrible catchphrase.

Is there a snappier catchphrase than 'Credo!'?

Funt Solo

Quote from: JWare on 02 November, 2022, 05:32:02 PM

I think you might be onto something there.
Nikolai Dante ran for 15 years.
Now go and look at Moon Runners.
What do you see? No catchphrases in bold type.
Never made it to a third series.

Shakara! You might be onto something. Dry Run - no catchphrases - never made it past the first series.

"Just another day in the cube!" - SEVEN series!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

Harry 20?
Something unmemorable about weasels.
No sequel.

nxylas

That's what I kind of love about it. It could only work in comics. It would be impossible to say out loud, and look a bit shit in prose fiction, but combine it with an Ian Gibson pic of a droid being blasted to pieces and it looks amazing.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JohnW

QuoteIt would be impossible to say out loud
I'm not sure about that. I only ever get looks of respect when I shout 'Sebek's blood!' in crowded places.