Main Menu

The fickle mind of the typical gimp

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 July, 2003, 01:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

When I first saw Frazer Irving's stuff on Necronauts, I thought it was dodgy. Now he's one of my favourite 2000ad artists. Similarly, when I was a kid I thought they shouldn't get Ezquerra to draw Dredd because he couldn't do it properly, not realising he created the chap. In retrospect, I was of course very wrong.  Furthermore, I did not like spaghetti bolognaise. Now I do. The same goes for liver, and broadsheet newspapers. I mean, I could go on.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Looking at that thread title, I realise that it looks like I was taking a stab at comic fans or something. I wasn't, I really wanted to make that point about Ezquerra and Irving but got sidetracked my usual shite-spewing, and then realised what a gimp I was being.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

petemaskreplica

When I first encountered the art of Mike McMahon (in the Dr. Who strip "Junkyard Demon", if you're interested) I thought, "Huh. he can't draw. Look, all the feet are too big."

What a silly arse I was.

Matt Timson

I hated the Captain Britain Strip in Daredevils (come on- get those memory muscles working!) when it first came out because I thought that Alan Davis couldn't draw properly, Alan Moore was boring and the lettering was crap.

Of course, I was only 11 and as somebody much funnier than I am once said, my brain was probably only half formed...

I still maintain that the lettering was a bit dodgy, mind.

Glad to see that Petey has reverted to his far superior logo as well...
Pffft...

Jared Katooie

Actually I'm the opposite Jayzus. I started out all open-minded and stuff and now me are a stoopid gimp.

Still I'm not so far gone I cant recognize real shite when I see it.

J.

"Not the whole phone, just the bit you're holdin'!"

Richmond Clements

Same here, Petemask. I used to think McMahon was rubbish, around when he started to draw Slaine, Sky Chariots or something, I mean, he couldn't even fill in the black bits properly!

Do'h!

Queen Firey-Bou

so are we all getting more open minded as we grow up? or more picky? or more abstract in our tastes? hmmmmm?

malkymac

I thought that the orignal McMahon artwork for the "shoggey beast" etc was abysmal when "Sky Chariots" appeared I thought it was some of the best that I had seen.

eggonlegs

the episode were cap battles jasper through different realities is still a top piece of comic art many many years on (sigh)

Quirkafleeg

Did'nt beer taste horrible the first time you drank it?

Bolt-01

A rag, a bone, a hank of hair.....

Oh, yes.

I'm going digging for those tomorrow. That series has had new things to discover in it everytime I read it.

It was the first time I remember seeing the word Zeitgeist too.

And didn't Millers DDs look better in B&W too!

Rotts.

Buddy

Always loved McMahons work. Sky Chariots just blew mw away, his slane  work is the best... bar none. Thanks for reminding me about that.

Is it true McMahon drew Sky Chariots on tracing paper, and deliberatly made it all scratchy to fuck off IPC cos the printers had such a hard time reproducing it?

W. R. Logan

I have to think you are joking as Sky Chariots is the best body of work ever to appear in 2000AD, not the best Slaine, not the best McMahon but th ebest piece of artwork ever to see print in a comic.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

W. R. Logan

In the Class Of ?79 #1 in our http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/issues_online/McMahon.htm>McMahon Interview he says:

R: On the "Sky Chariots" you worked on tracing paper.
McM: Yes, the effects I wanted to get with these Tombo pens were to long winded on water-colour paper and as well as that, I was really nervous, inking on pencils on paper, I'd lost my nerve a bit so I did it on tracing paper, and that's where the cross hatching look came from because when you fill things in on tracing paper, when you lay it down you notice you haven't filled it in properly, and I thought "well that looks all right" and it also had the added advantage of being very difficult to colour it up in American editions because I didn't get paid for that. Bit of a shot across their bow, sabotage (laugh).

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

Matt Timson

"A Rag, a Bone, A Hank of Hair".

You know that's the only episode that the Americans didn't reproduce?  I don't think they were overly chuffed with the "let there be life" quote.  Shame- Merlin banging Cappy's soul into his chest was was brilliant.

And never mind the fight with Jaspers- What about the battle on Captain UK's Earth between the Fury and the resident superhumans?  Cap and Slaymaster on Denmark Street?  The *absolute* puddling that Cap got from both Jaspers and the Fury?

Fantastic stuff- I don't care what anybody says...
Pffft...