Main Menu

Necropolis Vs Judgement Day

Started by GothicDaylight, 19 October, 2003, 05:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Necropolis, easy. It took years to build it up. it meant something to the world of Dredd and still makes itself felt now and again. It was a bleeding excellent weaving together of plot threads, then it threw out a few more.
Judgement Day was pretty shite. Bad characterisation of Dredd and Alpha. Fist-fights instead of character developments. Dropped ungracefully into continuity like a dead body at a dinner party. And I didn't like the 'look at us, we're cool' last frame, or the bit about 'Beyond duty' etc. Didn't make no sense.
Oh, and I also didn't like the way Ennis' Dredd followed up Necropolis - 'I've been a judge for thirty years. The law is never wrong. You know that'. Nice one Garth, you seem to have missed the whole point of Dredd's long walk and return to Mega-City 1.
But I did like 'Monkey on my Back'.
That's me rant over, thanks.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dudley

I'm wondering whether, if the current Dredd writers did a fair few skillful apres-Judgement Day follow-ups, my appreciation of it might increase?

The idea that in MC-1 they keep going on about some war that happened 20 years ago but never mention the sodding zombies that killed 3 billion people really makes me wonder about their sense of priorities

Oddboy

Well the zombies didn't kill many people actually in MC1, most of the deaths were in other cities.
Apoc War & Necropolis had a bigger impact on Mega-City One itself.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Woolly

Well, we did get one post Judgement Day strip at least. The one about the zombie in the saloon in the cursed earth.

It was a bit crap.

paulvonscott

Oddboy

Whiskey, IIRC. It was a Missionary Man story.
Better set your phaser to stun.