Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Yes. I really enjoyed that. Handwaving of the ethics of using spore drive aside, it was pretty much Star Trek.

These episodes are oddly structured though; the "threat of the week" only seems to take up 15 or 20 minutes in the middle of the episode.

Picard and co. Would have been beamed down in the church after the opening titles and only back on the bridge for the coda. Not saying it's wrong; just different.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed it but felt like shaking Pike. This planet is 100+ years travel away from the Federation. Short of Discovery, no one is coming and these are humans who were already mucked with by someone without 'General Order 1' holding them back.

Enjoy your subsistence life guys! Wouldn't want you to come back to the federation and live in a post-scarcity utopia.

PS Bear the person responsible for all your crime stuff got dropped into a nuclear reactor, not sure what more punishment you're looking for. Argument for Sisko holds true for all of the Discovery crew too, who also saved the Federation.... I don't think Jim can read writing this small. Surely.

Also - anyone else dying to know if/what happened to Lorca Prime and whether we'll see Jason Isaacs again...

broodblik

Theblazeuk that is also how i felt. General Order 1 does not make sense in this case since it is humans and not a new specie
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 January, 2019, 02:42:32 PMBear the person responsible for all your crime stuff got dropped into a nuclear reactor, not sure what more punishment you're looking for.

She was alive and well at the end of the series, from what I recall.  The only person who got nuclear reactored was the captain she appointed to the ship full of illegal weapons programmes that she started, and after he died, she and Spock's dad still tried to do that genocide thing.

Mardroid

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 January, 2019, 02:42:32 PM
Also - anyone else dying to know if/what happened to Lorca Prime and whether we'll see Jason Isaacs again...

I've wondered about him too, although I hope he doesn't turn up too soon. A few more episodes on, or even season 3 (should it be renewed) is fine.

The Legendary Shark

General Plot Rule #3: Any character falling into water/undefined fog, cloud or darkness/a mysterious energy vortex IS NOT DEAD.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 January, 2019, 04:21:06 PM
General Plot Rule #3: Any character falling into water/undefined fog, cloud or darkness/a mysterious energy vortex IS NOT DEAD.

Subsection 3.1: [Game of Thrones] - additionally anyone stabbed to death, burnt alive or with a definitely incurable terminal wasting disease.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 January, 2019, 07:24:18 PM

Subsection 3.1: [Game of Thrones] - additionally anyone stabbed to death, burnt alive or with a definitely incurable terminal wasting disease.

Subestion 3:2 -[Marvel/DC] Anybody

JamesC

I enjoyed Ep 2. I'm quite surprised at the direction the story seems to be taking but it's certainly got me hanging on for the next episode.

Mardroid

Oh I think the 'dark' Lorca is definitely a goner. We saw his body destroyed, if I remember correctly.

broodblik

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 January, 2019, 01:08:59 PM

Oh I think the 'dark' Lorca is definitely a goner. We saw his body destroyed, if I remember correctly.

Yes Lorca is gone but this is sci-fi and anything can happen.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, you see a body destroyed every time they beam somewhere.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

As low as my opinion of STD is, I will go out on a limb and say even it's not bad enough to bring back Lorca to have him turn out to be the baddie behind the plot to kill all life in the universe (or whatever it was) because he got V'Ger'd with that superweapon in season 1 whose purpose was to kill all life in the universe (or whatever it was).
It'll probably turn out to be something really clever and original like we expect from (checks notes) Alex Kurtzman.

Funt Solo

Just watched episodes 1-3 of season 2 (after none of season 1) and I'm ... pleasantly surprised.

My Star Trek pedigree is pretty much everything except for Enterprise (I watched the first one or two and was bored and disappointed).  This newest Trek is both definitely Star Trek but also not the same (alternative) reality as the original series.  I just can't think of them being in the same universe because the tech in this is so much beyond anything they had in TOS.

Anyway, I like that one of the crew is [spoiler]infested with a malevolent fungal intelligence[/spoiler] which was [spoiler]sucked out of her by[/spoiler] space gauntlets [spoiler]and then became a[/spoiler] levitating fat ball.  Also, Pike is great.  I was a little disappointed that the Klingon [spoiler]mother[/spoiler] wasn't throwing [spoiler]real decapitated heads[/spoiler] into the flaming pits of Q'onoS, but I'm new to the characters and so wasn't sure of motivations.

WAY more fun than Enterprise - which was just too effin' hokey for me (and I loved him in Quantum Leap.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 February, 2019, 04:06:10 AM
I just can't think of them being in the same universe because the tech in this is so much beyond anything they had in TOS.
My issue with this (common) criticism, is that warp drive and transporters aside, the tech we have NOW is beyond TOS! Discovery is "the future imagined from a 2018 perspective" whilst TOS was "the future imagined from a 1960s perspective".

I've recently been watching a lot of TNG, and there's an episode where the big reveal is that the computer has been infected with a program that is spreading from system to system .. almost like ... a virus - cutting edge in the 80s, but now you just wonder why they don't have any anti-malware running.