Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

Well, we elderly geeks know that rare smell.....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

Having worked in libraries for the last... what 15 years in one role or another the stories I could tell, oh the stories I could tell.

Minkyboy

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 31 August, 2009, 06:30:27 PM
Having worked in libraries for the last... what 15 years in one role or another the stories I could tell, oh the stories I could tell.

Go on then Colin, share away!
I for one am intrigued. My brief trips to the library graphic novel/sci-fi/baby sections have been dull and uneventful.

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Roger Godpleton

Looks like my brother might have stolen Arkham Asylum off of me before I've even played it.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mike Gloady

...because Marvel have been bought by Disney, thereby utterly destroying my occasional habit of picking up a Spider-Man trade and reverting to a seven-year-old (the last time I could get my head around superheroes other than Batman and simliar costumed non-powered folk).

In all conscience I can never again buy a Spider-Man comic.  Thanks to Disney.  Not content with brain-washing children and providing work for Phill Collins and Elton John, they are now stealing Spider-Man from me.  Motherfunters.

Colin YNWA

One of my favourites was when working in West Kirby Public Library way back when a bloke who was living rough and known locally used to come in week in week out and seemed to wee on the same seat. If you were on desk on that day you used to have to keep ya eye out for the fella and gently move him aside without making any accusations as we never actually say him in the act but the librarian pretty confident it was this one man. Anyway this progressed through out the summer and however much we gently persuaded him to sit in a more visible seat loe and behold at some point when we got to the chair that sweet scent of urine hit you.

One Wednesday in August as someone was tackling said suspect gent a lass thought to check on the seat at the same time and loo and behold a couple of very innocent looking teens were there one swatting over the seat. It turns out this lads and this lass were so amused that they'd got a way with it the first time (they never said what motivated that first instance and claimed it was an accident) and that people assumed it was this fella cos he was living rough that they continued to use him as a distraction to teach us a lesson.

So while the librarain banned them I think we all got a bit of a wake up call about making assumptions of this nature.

Mike Gloady

Colin, that's a hell of a story.  Were it not to feature pee quite so heavily it'd be a guaranteed dinner party anecdote...

Roger Godpleton

Colin had post number 666.

Mike had reply number 666.

Both of them squandered it.

I hate them both.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Minkyboy

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 September, 2009, 10:37:49 AM
and behold a couple of very innocent looking teens were there one squatting over the seat.

People are WEIRD!  :o

Great story. I guess as a library is free public space, more weird people who have nothing to do will congregate there.

* Minkyboy looks sideways at TordleBack
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

House of Usher

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 September, 2009, 10:37:49 AM
loo and behold

Now you see, with better signposting in West Kirby's public library the whole unpleasant business could have been avoided! A mistake anyone might make.
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

Sorry Roger,

If it's any defence at all, I didn't know.  Yes I know that ignorance of the law is now excuse creep.  But was does that bit about "hi-ex" mean exactly.

OW!

That really hurt.

TordelBack

...my wife's boss is a worthless spineless cowardly piece of shit who isn't fit to lick dog vomit off her shoes.  And that's all I have to say about that.

Richmond Clements

I left the book I am (was) reading on the bus yesterday.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 September, 2009, 11:27:16 AM
...my wife's boss is a worthless spineless cowardly piece of shit who isn't fit to lick dog vomit off her shoes.  And that's all I have to say about that.

Just say the word, and there's an excellent chance he could be found dead in a ditch with an iPod stuffed ... Oh, sorry, am I on the right thread?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

I was just given 2 cans of beer.

It was Carling Black Label.

:(

It would have been impolite to refuse them at the time but i just dont how i am expected to drink that foul chemical piss.

Any beer that is brewed in the UK i dont drink.All that brewed under licence Trash.

YUK
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death