Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Finally got around to playing the original Bayonetta on 360! I maybe went in expecting way too much but it really didn't grab me.

I admired the scale of some of the boss fights, but the combat never clicked with me in a way that became satisfying, the story and characters just didn't engage me at all (I haven't the slightest idea what was happening in the plot and spent most of the cutscenes browsing the internet on my phone which never really happens with me), the cutscene to gameplay ratio felt way off and the cutscenes themselves were far too long. The one thing it's got going for it (the big massive spectacle during battles) actually serves to make the actual mechanics of the fights less readable and enjoyable.

I don't play a lot of this style of game, but there are ones I've played and enjoyed far more (DmC, Killer Is Dead). The presentation style kept bringing to mind Grasshopper games, but while Grasshopper somehow manage a brand of weird insanity that I find really absorbing (I end up really caring for the story and characters, and even if the story is completely mental there's always an odd sense of internal logic to them, like a particularly mad Lynch film), in this I just found it unintelligible and distancing.

Found it pretty average throughout but with some extra poor sections, really disappointed to be honest.

Hawkmumbler

I've been playing Subnautica in most of my free time this last month. It's a survival marine based game with a metric shit ton of underwater alien life forms, some passive, some shit your pants aggressive (the first time I encountered a Leviathan Reaper I let out an audible yelp of terror). Genuinlt fantastic game with a seemingly endless map and well over 100 life forms to interact with (my favourite are the giant, harmless Reefbacks, they don't do anything but they grow so big nothing can touch them and they sound AMAZING with headphones on). Still being developed but updates as you play, and a damn awesome game to boot. Highly recommended.

Richmond Clements

Currently addicted to Fallout Shelter on the iphone.

CheechFU

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 June, 2015, 09:41:00 AM
I've been playing Subnautica in most of my free time this last month. It's a survival marine based game with a metric shit ton of underwater alien life forms, some passive, some shit your pants aggressive (the first time I encountered a Leviathan Reaper I let out an audible yelp of terror). Genuinlt fantastic game with a seemingly endless map and well over 100 life forms to interact with (my favourite are the giant, harmless Reefbacks, they don't do anything but they grow so big nothing can touch them and they sound AMAZING with headphones on). Still being developed but updates as you play, and a damn awesome game to boot. Highly recommended.

Do you play this on Steam?

It very nearly didn't got dropped because of falling out between the developer (Just some teenager!) and the found of Steam. I think his name is Gabe Newell and I'm not sure of the exact incident, but banned programmer from releasing anymore games for Steam. Including that one.

I think he did some thing abrasive that really offended them, but don't remember the exact details myself.

All I thought was that this game s seems very interesting and immediately searched for it online, seeing as [b[Steam[/b] weren't going to support it. There is nothing like this small controvercy to boast sales of a game.

I don't why they changed their minds, because I somehow got a copy of the game through Steam and it's kind of interesting  in a retro way. I like the soundtrack, but the graphics are way to blocky for my liking. They bely the full 3d environment of the game.

It's kind of difficult, I just keep getting killed within moments of encountering the first hostile over and over again, even after putting some gunshot into it.

As for being scared of the creatures within this piece of work. I don't think so, not yet anyway. I'm just not fooled. Not that I hate retro block graphics, but it just don't think it would immerse me enough for me to immediately get up from my chair and run screaming to the other side of the house.

Quote from: Richmond ClementsCurrently addicted to Fallout Shelter on the iphone.

You weren't asking about this game on the [b}Steam[/b] forums earlier this week under another pseudonym?

I thought they were talking about some not so well known release from the other Fallout series and thought I had it already. I now se it's not the same game and it does look interesting. Seeing as it's doing better than C|andy Crush I want to know if they have cheap pc version. 

Quote from: Cheechfu
I still don't know what I'm playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-kT5SDifCU

I see it's called Lisa had put this on my Wishlist earlier. It does look different from the norm.

Otherwise, I have purchasing way too many games myself and should stop spending money for the next fortnight. The kick-starter for new Bard's Tale game wraps up about that time and have promised to give them just over 900 dollars AUD. While not nearly as much as I have put into Elite Dangerous it's still a lot.

I've stoped playing the new Witcher game for the time being until I have made enough space on my hard-drive to record more videos of my game play.  The same goes for Elite Dangerous (I had been recording every game session of that since I had access to it. I was forced remove a lot of the video from it's earlier builds just out of brutal need to play more.  <MY last game had Geralt hunting for the Arch-Griffin which just laughs at fire and isn't even scratch by Grapeshot. even if that is supposed to work real well against it. I may have to skip tat quest for now.

So, I have trying play a lot of as yet unplayed games I have in my Steam Library. The is huge.

Right now, I am finding Massive Chalice very addictive and have evens stopped playing that for the time being as it does keep crashing to the desktop during the [v]X-Com[/b] deployment sections of the game. I think I have almost succeeded in winning this one on Normal difficulty.

I also got Farcry Three since it was just Ten bucks and highly recommend on this show.. I have been interested in this game for a while, but never thought it was worth full price. I never though much of th earlier games in the same series. Though, I do have those as well.

It's like a mash-up of Dead Island with regards to the tropical location and gameplay with the zombies and Skyrim for it's crafting and similarity in some menus. Minus the fantasy aspects. Although I would be so sure about that here. There was history of mutant creatures in the first game and there is something hinted in the review I linked above.

Now, I'm not perfectly aware of crafting stuff from flora and fauna in real life. Yet, I never thought it was so anal as to need specific animal skins to things as similar as loot-bag and wallet. The later requires a skin of pig while the former needs that of a goat. Then again, I guess it adds another level of detail to this part of the game. But medical syringes filled with health and performance boosting narcotics taken from plants. Without the need from the plastic vials or tubes that come with the needle attached and the skinning of you four legged kills leaves them look much that same. Even with slightly more impressive cinematic involving you deft knife skills when removing it from their carcass. It still doesn't top it's counter part in Red Dead Redemption where the left corpse actually looks like it's lost it's outer layer.  Of course, I guess I should not be so anal myself. It's just a game after all.

The gang leader is so ott, it's only so hard to take him seriously as the head-pirate let alone a character in game that I probably shouldn't be taking so seriously anyway. I'm pretty sure real pirate-king's today don't seem so abrasive or such a comical caricature and at this early point in my game believe he's really just actor or puppet figurehead just being  used by the real villain or villains. (Yes, of course, I would be still find the situation scary enough without this idiot added to the mix to give you hope in this dire situation ...) Possibly the good witch-doctor who finds you and fixes you up and then takes you on tour around their so called liberated village before giving you a small gun and telling you must earn your place in their almost typically backward islander/native society by climbing all the local radio towers and switching them back on to re-activate their own gun/narcotic operations. It's kind weird that they would trust stranger with such a job at first. Almost like he already know them they is just silly initiation game to them.

It's the stage that he had liberated his very first outpost from the neighbouring pirates that everybody here are really just all friends who don't might killing each other in this other variant of Hunger-Games. I even think your holiday buddies that have gone missing as well. Maybe they were in on it and those natives were only shotting us with rubber bullets and tranq-darts.

Steering while driving the first car I saw and then the motor-trike feels overly responsive and I was almost didn't make it over one of the small wooden bridges before running right into the side  one of flimsy looking shelters and on to of camp fire which was enough to enough to suspend the front wheels off the ground higher enough. So I had to leave it there and walk the rest of the way. I wouldn't normally have that much trouble steering if I had real steering wheel and not the keyboard. I think it's just a bit too overly responsive, but otherwise realistic in handling. I just couldn't finish one of the side missions on time, because I kept failing to drive the quad-bike along a narrow pathway to where some supplies were needed. There was time limit, so I guess running there was not a option.

Combat is fast and requires more manual handling of the mouse and keyboard than I was prepared for at first. After getting used to the auto-acquiring of targets in that Witcher game. Just few moments too much hesitation when I'm spotted and it's suddenly all over. I got that first mission done eventually, but felt bad about putting bullet into the skull of their only one attack dog. As it went from growling and barking to a low whine as it finished it off. This game (Like a lot of others!) requires ruthlessness in the face of desperation of being alone in this foreign environment surround by so much hostility.

While I have heard great remarks about graphics quality of this game and even noticed them for myself when first seeing this review back in late 2012. It now suffers in comparison to the alter games now. Yet, not so much from that of the latest Witcher. Aside from added effects, they almost seem identical in that impression given of that I feel more detached from surrounding because they just don't seem to be really there. Of course, I know it's just game , but I have experienced better immersion in other games that claim to have that amount of realism. I think you all know those.

I did like swimming underwater sequences. It does look believably murky enough in those parts, even while just diving fast flowing streams and when you do, you can feel the force of this flowing or the tide in ways that haven't been implemented in similar games. Well done on this.

I should go back and play the earlier games, but I know the very first one is so dated now. I had brought them all on Steam when they were on sale practically around about the same time this one was in it's first distribution. I had only briefly played each of them and then abandoned them for more desirable games. Remembering the one just before this game set in Africa. I lost the car I was using trying to use bridge and didn't get an farther than my first skirmish in a some duty dry shanty outpost locale.

I also got purchases Steam's version that Ghostbusters I also ordered for the PSthree years earlier. I even played the game right up until the same point, while hunting the fisherman spirit I the s very same well high-rise resturant/apartment complex before my real life reponsibilities demanded seeing to. I actually remember playing this late at night on the console after it arrived in the mail and ending it at roughly the same point when I realised I was too tired on concentrate on completing this part. Before I 'd reach the point where they would  return to their head-quarters. Of course I find out this doesn't happen until they move outside on to the street to face another familiar and very big face from their first film. Yes, first you are reintroduced to Slimer and then it's the big Marsh-Mellow man and then off to the library to see another well known. The Libarian-Spirit who I also get to learn more about. Not that I was really that interested. yet, it is good know. It's great to see all the same face, locations from the first film(I never really liked the sequel, even though they find a very patriotic solution turning everything around towards the ending!)  in a way that was never so realised in earlier games based on the dame film. I only played the C64 version as a gift from my now departed grand parents and being astounded by hearing digitalised word of my blocky looking sprites proclaim to me Ghostbusters after trapping the free floating-phantasms or vapours. Speaking of which, I'm still getting my head around their humourlessly elaborate system for classifying their ghostly quarry. I will be spending some time studying that Tobins-Spirit-Guide (Wondering if they really ever compiled a physical version of this!) along with the other information about their weird-retro-gagetry along with it.

Aside from that, they might have made the game more like a later 3D open world version the original I played rather than on rails with brief pockets of exploration and collecting information artifacts. Since playing games like the GTA - Liberty I have wished for variants of that game with template from film like this one and the Blue-Brothers (Imagine that as a giant road game!), Smoky and the Bandit and Convoy.

A lots more to share, but will finish it here  that I love to see game being so faithful to it's source in term of light humour mixed with dark atmosphere of New-York-City that I guess is more devoid of the harsher realities in favour of more mystical ones.  Which adds to the charm.

I loved to see that place for real some day....

JamesC

I'd like to say Batman: Arkham Knight but I put the disc in last night and it had to do an 8 hour update download.
I'm getting a bit fed up with this kind of thing.

Goaty

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 24 June, 2015, 06:43:49 AM
I'd like to say Batman: Arkham Knight but I put the disc in last night and it had to do an 8 hour update download.
I'm getting a bit fed up with this kind of thing.

Mine is due from Amazon today, guess I'll just have to let it update overnight.
Dammit!  ::)

Zenith 666

Bad Framerate  :lol:

Not funny if your buying Arkham Knight on PC though it's shocking.

ThryllSeekyr

[/b]I haven't played Arkham-City yet.....

While I haven't been playing the above games, Majesty-Two served as decent time-filler for  while I stayed up all nigh and until next morning to win the first scenario.

Maybe I am getting to old for this.....

Anyway, I noticed that when ever the female Elf unit gets killed, she exclaims the words No fair exactly the very voice and words of very young, but undead Cage when he needed to be put down by his dad towards the end of Pet-Cemetary.

Hmmm. The significance of this creeps me out, in game and the part he played in that film.

Yet, I guess it fits in with how each of the fallen morph into their own tombstone once they have expired.

JamesC

I'm really enjoying Arkham City - it's a cracking action adventure game and Batman combat never gets old.

Having said that, I wasn't in the mood for darkness and violence after a hard day at work so I cracked open Yoshi's Woolly World.
What a charming, fun game. Say what you like about Nintendo but they put out some lovely 'all ages' games. This is another with local co op multiplayer too (fast becoming a thing of the past).

shaolin_monkey

I'm on a mission to spend less on games this year, as I rarely play the ones I buy to completion, and anyway I'm skint.

I am very pleased, therefore, to have traded in a few titles to get The Witcher III on PS4.  I've put about 30 hours into the game now, and have only recently hit level 10.  Looking at the armour plans, there's kit there for up to level 40, so it's clear I have a lot to do yet!  This game is MASSIVE!!

That, and it's incredibly good fun. The story missions are absolutely superb, your choices having consequences.  Each vignette is engaging, as is the wider story, and I found the voice acting excellent - really engaging.  One of my more stupid decisions led to an entire village being burnt to the ground by a demon horse, which is still somewhere out there on a mad rampage!! 

Besides the main story arc, and the surprisingly deep and interesting sub-stories, there are also witcher contracts (taking out monsters that are bothering one of the many villages scattered around the landscape), places of interest, horse races, fist fights, power stones to find and aid in levelling up, chests to loot, nooks and crannies to explore, a whole host of recipes and plans for armour, potions, mutagens, weapons and so on.

As well as this, there's quite a fun little card game called Gwent.  One of the challenges of the game is find all the Gwent players (who could be anyone - traders, innkeeps, blacksmiths, and even some of the major characters in the game), and beat them.  You claim cards from them making your deck more powerful. 

So yeah, if you want a game with tons of fun content, with an engaging story, which is clearly going to last for a long time, I can't recommend Witcher III enough!  It is going to keep me gaming for quite a while, and should prevent me forking out for any new titles.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 30 June, 2015, 07:58:00 AM
This game is MASSIVE!!

Yeah, I never anticipated this while thinking to myself that it would be over in fortnight, but perhaps should have considering what I had heard about it before hand.

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 30 June, 2015, 07:58:00 AM

As well as this, there's quite a fun little card game called Gwent.  One of the challenges of the game is find all the Gwent players (who could be anyone - traders, innkeeps, blacksmiths, and even some of the major characters in the game), and beat them.  You claim cards from them making your deck more powerful. 

Only tried this in the first village, but still don't understand the game enough to really waste time on that. Have ben collecting cards for it though.

Keef Monkey

Played through The Terminator on the Sega Mega Drive at the weekend. Old games were hard.

Theblazeuk

Replaying XCOM this time with the Long War mod.

War. War never changes. Apart from getting much harder and terrifying when you install a mod that sees you throwing bullets at mech-wearing psychic aliens way before you get a chance to steal their technology.