Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 December, 2021, 03:50:26 PM
What seems very much like a "bomb scare" style threat has been circulating on TikTok that suggests there will be some kind of violent assault in a US school today (the 17th), so (across the entire country) many schools are cancelling classes - many students are anyway staying home.

I'm guessing it was a hoax?

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 22 December, 2021, 10:36:13 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 December, 2021, 03:50:26 PM
What seems very much like a "bomb scare" style threat has been circulating on TikTok that suggests there will be some kind of violent assault in a US school today (the 17th), so (across the entire country) many schools are cancelling classes - many students are anyway staying home.
I'm guessing it was a hoax?

Can of worms, Sheridan.

On the one hand, you could call it a nationwide hoax. Because it seems to have been sparked on social media with that intention.

On the other hand: there's been a sequence of what are being called TikTok challenges in schools in the US this year. The first was to vandalize bathrooms - so people vandalized bathrooms. The second was to strike a teacher, so people struck teachers. So, there's precedence here that if a dare goes out online, people will respond to it, even if it's clearly not in their best interests.

So, a rumor starts that the next "dare" is to cause a serious violent disturbance in schools on Dec 17th, and because this is the US, a lot of people take that very seriously. And then some kids start making actual threats, and several arrests are made (two at the school district that neighbors mine) across the US.

End result: no actual violent incidents occur, but the attendance of students that day plummeted to about 50% and a bunch of kids ended up arrested (some for making stupid threats online, some for carrying a deadly weapon onto school grounds).

I suppose the sad reality (in the US) is that gun ownership is on the rise, and so are school shootings (data here), and rather than have a specific day when it's going to happen, it's going to be a nasty surprise, and it's something that seems impossible to make safe because of the collective insanity around gun ownership and safety in this country. Or, as Eina the Barmaid used to philosophically reflect: "shower o' c*nts!"

I suppose I've posted this in "minor impediments" because it's seen by politicians and many, many citizens as well as just a natural hazard of being in the *cough* greatest nation on Earth.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

I sharpened all of the kitchen knives this morning.

And I'm chopping the onions and tomatoes for a chana massala...
Can you guess where this is going?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 January, 2022, 07:41:03 PM
I sharpened all of the kitchen knives this morning.

And I'm chopping the onions and tomatoes for a chana massala...
Can you guess where this is going?

How many fingers did you lose?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The storm blew down part of my fence. Spent my Saturday fixing it and making sure the rest of it was secure. I swear storms were more benign before the met started anthropomorphising them. Still, it was nice change from Brexit and covid being the source of my embuggerances.
You may quote me on that.

paddykafka

As if being struck down by the flu for the last week wasn't bad enough, in addition to the normal symptoms one would expect, this morning I woke up completely deaf in my right ear! Between that and a dry, rasping sore throat, my communication options will soon be reduced to using Morse Code.

Given that I am clearly too delicate for this world, I am now seriously considering taking a leaf out of Sheldon's book.  :)

https://tenor.com/view/telepresence-sheldon-big-bang-theory-gif-14326903

Barrington Boots

Last week the strap on my work bag snapped en route to the station.
I decided to replace it with a backpack. I haven't worn a backpack actually on my back for years, and as I was leaving the house yesterday I heard a sort of crash behind me as I was closing and locking the door. I tried to open the door and check, but I couldn't, because I had of course knocked the coat stand over and now it was wedged between the door and the stairs.
We had a train to catch so the wife and I legged it as I confidently informed her we could borrow a broom from a neighbour when we got home and use it to move the obstruction. Of course, to cut a long story short, that didn't work because the door only opened about half an inch and we ended up totally stuck outside our house.
We did manage to get in eventually - after I used a borrowed walking stick through the tiny gap to move the doormat, which allowed me to shift the stand by basically slamming the door into it repeatedly before squeezing my hand through the now-widened gap and after much effort, lifting it up enough to get the door open. Whilst this was happening my neighbours came out and watched from outside with great amusement whilst the cat stared at me with wide-eyed horror from indoors.
There was no Prog waiting for me on the doormat either.

Tjm86

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 16 March, 2022, 04:25:54 PM

There was no Prog waiting for me on the doormat either.

Oh my word, that is absolutely gutting!

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

Wait till you see my post on 'Life is riddled with a procession of minor NSFW impediments'

My Prog still hasn't arrived btw, and that's not a euphanism.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 March, 2022, 12:49:45 PM
My Prog still hasn't arrived btw, and that's not a euphanism.

I already wish I hadn't said this. The concept of shouting 'the progs arrived!' at a climatic moment is now lodged horrifyingly my brain.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws