Main Menu

Q Magazine to close

Started by jrdd, 20 July, 2020, 05:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdd

https://twitter.com/TedKessler1/status/1285204044529770496

Of course in some ways "it's only a magazine", and many people are facing far more significant losses at the moment.  I'm just a bit shocked, it feels like its always been there, and now in the space of a few months... it's gone, and with it a small but important part of our entertainment culture that will be hard to replace.

The last circulation figures are reported as around 28,000 - still quite respectable in today's environment I would've thought.  It seems quite sobering that a major publisher cannot support the title through this tough time, I'd expect things would be on the cusp of improving now shops are reopening.  It really puts into perspective how fortunate we are with Rebellion and their long term support for 2000AD and the Treasury.

Best wishes to the team at Q for their future, and to all at Rebellion for their continued efforts.

Funt Solo

I'm catching up on my prog reading after a hiatus - I'm currently reading 2017's progs.  I'd been buying each year as I needed it, but when covid started to have a serious effect, I bought all my missing progs at once - because I didn't know if Rebellion would survive.

I suppose the idea is, once society crumbles, I'll still be able to read all the progs. As long as the electricity holds out.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

wedgeski

Ah, shit. That's a damn shame. I was only the kind of reader that picked it up when one of my fave artists was featured, but that still means I have a carrier-bag full in the loft somewhere.

dweezil2

More disappointed that Planet Rock magazine has gone the way of Q also, although fewer mags on the shelves is always something to mourn.
Just hope Classic Rock Magazine hangs on in there!  :(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Magnetica

I used to buy it every month when I was a student but gave up about 25 years ago. Shame to see it go. Used to love the album reviews and articles on bands I liked, but there was also usually a few artists covered that I didn't like as well.

matty_ae

I suspect the circulation problem is equally down to the quality or at least the ambition/subversion of modern bands. Modern Pop/Rock exacts a Insta/Twitter engagement that renders the mystique of Bowie/Prince/McCartney/Morrissey redundant.

Or an equally depressing note I subscribed to Empire magazine when they did a 20 year retrospective on Jaws. Then a 25th. Then 30th. I think it was the 35th I just cancelled. Nostalgia's not what it was.

judgeurko

Didn't know it was still going tbh.

ChickenStu

Quote from: matty_ae on 23 July, 2020, 01:59:24 PM
I suspect the circulation problem is equally down to the quality or at least the ambition/subversion of modern bands. Modern Pop/Rock exacts a Insta/Twitter engagement that renders the mystique of Bowie/Prince/McCartney/Morrissey redundant.

Or an equally depressing note I subscribed to Empire magazine when they did a 20 year retrospective on Jaws. Then a 25th. Then 30th. I think it was the 35th I just cancelled. Nostalgia's not what it was.

I stopped buying that YEARS ago.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)