Main Menu

Meg 407 - Storm Rider!

Started by Freddychopper, 12 April, 2019, 12:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddychopper

Got my copy of the Meg today which was a pleasant surprise. Will do a full run down soon (Lawless, great, The Torture Garden, my top story in the issue) but the main thing I wanted to mention was the new bag that the Meg comes sealed in, which started with the last issue. The fact that it's now semi-opaque means you can't really see the cover very well and I'm sure this isn't really going to make it stand out on the newstand or help sales. Being shrinkwrapped every issue (I know it's to keep the floppy in there!) , I always thought must hurt sales, since you can't have a look through it to see if you want to buy it. Don't think this new bag will help. Probably cheaper to produce but not great for the covers. Thoughts?

Pyroxian

Quote from: Freddychopper on 12 April, 2019, 12:17:14 PM
Got my copy of the Meg today which was a pleasant surprise. Will do a full run down soon (Lawless, great, The Torture Garden, my top story in the issue) but the main thing I wanted to mention was the new bag that the Meg comes sealed in, which started with the last issue. The fact that it's now semi-opaque means you can't really see the cover very well and I'm sure this isn't really going to make it stand out on the newstand or help sales. Being shrinkwrapped every issue (I know it's to keep the floppy in there!) , I always thought must hurt sales, since you can't have a look through it to see if you want to buy it. Don't think this new bag will help. Probably cheaper to produce but not great for the covers. Thoughts?

It's compostable though, so helps save the planet :)

Freddychopper

Quote from: Pyroxian on 12 April, 2019, 12:24:40 PM
It's compostable though, so helps save the planet :)

I was thinking maybe that but it still looks bad on the shop shelves. Screw the planet! I want to see the covers, dammit!!   :)

Fungus

Hadn't considered that... shrink-wrapped probably deters casual buyers and semi-opaque bags worsen this? Looks odd in WH Smith's. Does stand out, but in a top-shelf oo-er kind of way.

Richard

I think that's quite striking, and it's a shame to cover it up. Bugger the environment, it must be worth killing a few dolphins or whatever so that more people can see it!

MacabreMagpie

I made regular unplanned trips in WH Smiths for the last month to gawp at Cliff's amazing cover on the previous Megazine and I can't say it hurt the visibility a great deal on the shelf.

Colin YNWA

Enjoyed that, quite a lot actually. Okay so the text features were a bit flat this time and Storm Warning while looking stunning isn't exactly capturing my attention the rest was fine.

The floppie was the best of the Operation Overlord volumes. These haven't quite been the blazing success I was hoping, after all they seemed to fit right in my wheelhouse - but its been an incredibly worthy experiment and one I hope Tharg returns to.

Blunt defo needs a re-read but that was blindin' last part and as I've said before its gives me enough to really look forward to doing that and I'm glad to hear this is coming back.

Okay I know we've discussed this before but who the heck is this Kenneth Niemand he writes a mean Dredd. This has the added bonus of some fantastic Nick Dyer art. Its becoming a cliche of mine to say how much better he's becoming each time she draws for Tharg... but this might well be his best yet! There's something Ian Kennedy about it, both in terms of design and colouring to my eye. Just beautiful stuff and a superb story. Absolute winner.

Yet only third best. Well that's cos Torture Garden has another grim gem of an episode. This story has had a few peaks and little lulls to be honest, this episode worked an absolutel treat and that last page was chilling.

Of course that's only second best cos... well LAWLESS is they very best comics has to offer. There will be a point, somewhere down the line, were it dawns on Phil Winslade that he doesn't have to out do himself month in month out.... long may he not suss that. From the high contrast openning, the black and white psychedelia (who knew that was a thing!) of Hetch's message to the superb characterisation through out its a joy. I believe Master Winslade hasn't been selling his art from this. I hope that's cos he knows full well if Tharg isn't daft he'll try that artist edition with this material. I can't imagine many comics that deserve it more. What's possibly even more of note is that Dabnett produces a story that more than justifies Grandmaster Winslade's efforts! Just an absolute masterclass.

Nice comic.

broodblik

What a great cover to start off.

The Dredd story is very good. Dryer's art for me the best work he has done for both AD and the Meg.

Lawless just keeps on delivering. The highlight gain of the Meg. As much as it is Abnett's storytelling and it is wonderfully supplement by the detailed work of Winslade pencil.

Torture Garden is highly enjoyable. 

Blunt and Storm Warnings is not bad but not as great as the other strips.

The meg is a good publication and stories like Lawless/Torture Garden makes it a great purchase.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.