Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

$250? That's not bad for a a solid-gold action figure.

It is solid gold, right? ;)

Much as I love Mongrol, I can't see myself spending that much on him!

-- Mike

chris_askham

Not as enticing as I was expecting, which is good because it's out of my price range anyway. Really like the design of the head and body, but thought the arms might be a bit more substantial. I did like the Tharg though.

ming

Quote from: chris_askham on 09 November, 2010, 04:09:47 PMReally like the design of the head and body, but thought the arms might be a bit more substantial.

Yeah, Mongrol's such a weed;)

Steve Green

Funny, the blurred photos seem to show off the proportions better.

COMMANDO FORCES

My eyes have gone funny ;)

Don't forget you can see him move about in this forgotten cartoon clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJOphc0BD3w, looks close enough but who is correct on the amount of links in the chain :-*

chris_askham

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 November, 2010, 04:33:16 PM
Funny, the blurred photos seem to show off the proportions better.

I agree, the blurred photo's seem to show a bulkier Mongrol. Maybe it's just the angle the newer photo is taken at? Dunno.

James Stacey

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 November, 2010, 04:35:46 PM

Don't forget you can see him move about in this forgotten cartoon clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJOphc0BD3w, looks close enough but who is correct on the amount of links in the chain :-*

And he's the correct colour in the cartoon ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

vzzbux

Mongrol is bound to have quite a bit of weather and rust, He is a mish mash of old and battered droids.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

dweezil2

Mongrol is looking sweet!

And the delay of going on sale until January means I'll be able to bag one of these beauties!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mardroid

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 November, 2010, 09:05:33 PM
Mongrol is bound to have quite a bit of weather and rust, He is a mish mash of old and battered droids.

I've often wondered at the 'mish mash' of droids as he has such a specific design for someone who is supposed to be a 'mish mash'. And after being rebuilt he looks the same as he did before he was destroyed. (I'm going by The Meknificent Seven here. It's possible that got retconned later. I started reading 2000 AD around the story Pineapples turned a cabbie into a big gun, so I might have missed an earlier story concerning Mongrol. I don't think so as Mongrol's war story came later.)

Then it occurred to me that maybe those parts came from other droids of the same model as him. (Much like when Hammerstein led a squad of similar looking Mark 3 war droids.) So he'd basically have limbs and other parts that would have looked like his original parts anyway.

Actually wasn't he made from a mixture of parts of others in his parachute squadron? Concerning rust, I forget how long the parts were left there, but I got the impression his girl friend turned up shortly after they were wrecked.

Anyhow, even if they don't remove the rust completely I do think he would look better if they toned it down. A little could look good, in fact.

ming

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 November, 2010, 03:46:51 AM
Quote from: vzzbux on 09 November, 2010, 09:05:33 PM

I've often wondered at the 'mish mash' of droids as he has such a specific design for someone who is supposed to be a 'mish mash'. And after being rebuilt he looks the same as he did before he was destroyed. (I'm going by The Meknificent Seven here. It's possible that got retconned later. I started reading 2000 AD around the story Pineapples turned a cabbie into a big gun, so I might have missed an earlier story concerning Mongrol. I don't think so as Mongrol's war story came later.)

Then it occurred to me that maybe those parts came from other droids of the same model as him. (Much like when Hammerstein led a squad of similar looking Mark 3 war droids.) So he'd basically have limbs and other parts that would have looked like his original parts anyway.

Actually wasn't he made from a mixture of parts of others in his parachute squadron? Concerning rust, I forget how long the parts were left there, but I got the impression his girl friend turned up shortly after they were wrecked.

Anyhow, even if they don't remove the rust completely I do think he would look better if they toned it down. A little could look good, in fact.

I compiled a montage of a few panels to show the Mongrol origin to folks at the 3A board a while back, so here they are...

Lara and her aunt scavenged battlefields for *any* robot remains, I think, so Mongrol should be as his name suggests - a mix of parts from different robots... to me, at least!

:)

ming

...and a quick comparison shot I put up on the 3A board earlier:

I really want to see Mongrol in a variety of poses just to get a feel for the articulation and things like the size of the arms...  This shot doesn't do him full justice, I'm sure.

Dunk!

Ming, what's the usual turnaround at 3A from announcement to actual product?

This isn't a dig at 3A, but it seems to be quite a drawn-out process, which makes me wonder how long until we see anything else in the pipeline.

Dunk!
"Trust we"