Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Quote from: Bat KingIs there really a big market for them?

They seem to sell out quickly enough. I was after the Popbot Kitty 10 Pack but I think their sale wasn't even announced and they all went weeks before I happened to check on them again.

It's an odd way of selling  but I guess it's all about the rarity adding to the perceived value. And whilst it's annoying, it seems to be working for them.

Anyway, I was keen on a Dredd (assuming I could get in during the mere nanoseconds he'll be on sale for), but the somewhat lukewarm reaction from CF to the Tharg model has put me off.

Mikey

Well, they're not mass produced, so there's not a big market in the same sense as that which mass produced toys can create, if that makes sense. They're all hand painted/finished so no two figures are truly exactly alike. Ming's put up plenty of info on how 3A do stuff, so I'll not repeat that, but they're a small company producing, in my opinion, extremely high quality figures. Definately beyond a lot of wallets though, unfortunately.

Quote from: Banners on 02 February, 2011, 02:36:23 PM
Anyway, I was keen on a Dredd (assuming I could get in during the mere nanoseconds he'll be on sale for), but the somewhat lukewarm reaction from CF to the Tharg model has put me off.

As far as how long a sale lasts, well, who knows? It does change. Some are, like you say, only available mere seconds or minutes, or appear as 'specials' at random or staggered times during a longer sale, but over the last while I've never had to be right there at 2 in the morning to pick up the stuff I wanted - I've ordered calmly and without fuss about 7-8 hours after the sale started. Now of course I have 24hrs on the majority of sales anyway, but I know things can sell out despite that and you have no real idea of knowing when a sale might actually end - although it's signposted on the relevant sale threads by Ash.

I personally think Tharg is fantastic. If I didn't I wouldn't have bought wholesale into the 3A thang. It is a shame that more people who might be interested have been put off by things that can be dealt with easily enough (IMO), but if you don't like the toys, there's not much else to say really.

But I can't fuckin wait for Mongrol!  :D

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Bat King

Ah, I didn't realise that they sell in that way.  I was envisaging a figure in a hobby store behind the tills retailing at £150.00.

These are extreme limited edition buy em whil you can.  OK yeah they need to sell less but they need to sell at a higher price to make a profit that pays for the long hours of designing, prototypes and such sans the mass sales at lower prioces. 

So they need less customers.  They don't need cheapskates like me because there are collectors already.

Now the whole deal makes sense.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Mardroid

Quote from: Bat King on 02 February, 2011, 05:05:31 PM
These are extreme limited edition buy em whil you can.  OK yeah they need to sell less but they need to sell at a higher price to make a profit that pays for the long hours of designing, prototypes and such sans the mass sales at lower prioces.  

Considering the size of the figures, the price isn't actually abnormal. It does seem a lot to me, and it's certainly out of my price range, but I had a look at similar sized figures (and probably produced in larger numbers too, since you can see plenty at Future Plantet Int and such company sites) and that price is pretty normal. These are big action man sized jobs, and considering this is Mongrol, his dimensions will be decidedly larger, at least in width!

blackmocco

Alright, I fully accept I'm an idiot but I find the 3A site maddeningly confusing to navigate. Let's assume I'm a six year old child and I want to be able to be in with a chance to buy some of these guys when they're available. What in the name of Tau do I do...? Sorry. (I DID say I'm an idiot.)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Mikey

There's all the info you need elsewhere on this thread! But here's the skinny again...

1.All sales are through Bambaland - you need to register an account. (http://www.bambalandstore.com/). All sales are in USD and include world wide shipping. Sale items are exclusive to the site.

2.Bamba only accepts paypal - you'll need an account!

3.Three A forum. You don't have to register to read the scuzzlebut an that, so go to the sub heading 'Showcase' where you'll find the 2000ad thread (usually near the top  :D). There's also a 'Daily 3a News' thread - this is a handy way to get the latest info on releases. (http://www.threeaonline.com/forum/)

4. Three A prodcution Blog. Where fresh info on releases, teaser pics, final pics etc will be posted by Ashley Wood. It also has links to Bamba, the 3A forum and a countdown clock for the next release after the date has been confirmed. (http://www.threeaonline.com/blog/)

5. Sales. These usually start at 9.00am Hong Kong time, currently 2am here! Recently, a lot of the 'drops' as they're known have lasted 24 hrs, but that's not a guarantee for all sales of course. Unless you're 3AA member  ;) The bottom line is, if you are not going to be able to live without a certain figure, get there early. AFAIK, it can be mental when Bamba gets hit hard with a bunch of fanboys, so be warned it might not go too smoothly! Like I said, I haven't had to be sat online at an ungodly hour for something I've wanted yet - I may make an exception for the rest of the 2000ad line, but they might, might be released at UK friendly times like the first Tharg was. I've based that on hope more than anything!

6. There are retailers who carry them - you pay a bit more than on Bamba, but you can just order up without the time bound aspect. However not all releases get a retailer version. The retailer variations thing is not likley  going to apply to the 2000ad line, but who knows? (UK seller - http://www.onesixthbruce.co.uk/)

7.Weep uncontrollably as your wallet won't stay shut for 3A toys  :lol: I got Tharg in hand last July, then leapt straight in, I couldn't help it!

Hope that helps. The man/scanner that is Ming has posted much of this before now and in greater detail. I wouldn't have had a chance without his info dumps! I know there are plans to start figure specific threads when sale dates, prices etc are announced.

M.

ming

Yay for Mikey!  Said everything that needed to be said, really.  When there's a definite, firm, non-negotiable drop date for Mongrol I *will* start another thread for Mongrol, repeating all the necessary 3A and sales info that anyone interested will need (basically what Mikey just posted, but in a larger font).

As I've said before, I hope and partly expect Mongrol (and most other 2000AD figures) to be sitting around on Bambaland for longer than the average 3A figure.  As this is something of a niche line (although there are many rabid 3A fans who will buy anything and everything 3A), Ash may decide to opt for a longer sale to counter possible lower sales.  I'd get in early (or early-ish) just to be safe, though.  24 hours is possible, and maybe longer - but maybe a lot less.  Fingers crossed for at least a day or two, anyway.

Will post any more info here (unless finger-on-the-pulse Mikey beats me to it).

The ongoing Chinese New Year celebrations might delay news emerging, but from mid-February on I'm hoping for a big Mongrol reveal and sale info to follow soon after.  We'll maybe only get a couple of weeks notice before the sale, going on past experience, but who knows?

(and as for surprise, limited or spur-of-the-moment drops - they can be a nightmare but only if you're really desperate for something, and this isn't that likely to affect the 2000AD stuff.  Ash sometimes enjoys whipping his fans into a frenzy over surprises like the Popbot Kitty pack, but he's also amenable to putting stuff aside for people who miss out so he's not a total sadist).

Smush!

:)

Banners

Quote from: ming
Ash sometimes enjoys whipping his fans into a frenzy over surprises like the Popbot Kitty pack, but he's also amenable to putting stuff aside for people who miss out so he's not a total sadist).

Are there still some popbot Kitty packs available then ie. at lower than eBay prices?

blackmocco

Quote from: Mikey on 03 February, 2011, 10:58:43 AM
There's all the info you need elsewhere on this thread! But here's the skinny again...

1.All sales are through Bambaland - you need to register an account. (http://www.bambalandstore.com/). All sales are in USD and include world wide shipping. Sale items are exclusive to the site.

2.Bamba only accepts paypal - you'll need an account!

3.Three A forum. You don't have to register to read the scuzzlebut an that, so go to the sub heading 'Showcase' where you'll find the 2000ad thread (usually near the top  :D). There's also a 'Daily 3a News' thread - this is a handy way to get the latest info on releases. (http://www.threeaonline.com/forum/)

4. Three A prodcution Blog. Where fresh info on releases, teaser pics, final pics etc will be posted by Ashley Wood. It also has links to Bamba, the 3A forum and a countdown clock for the next release after the date has been confirmed. (http://www.threeaonline.com/blog/)

5. Sales. These usually start at 9.00am Hong Kong time, currently 2am here! Recently, a lot of the 'drops' as they're known have lasted 24 hrs, but that's not a guarantee for all sales of course. Unless you're 3AA member  ;) The bottom line is, if you are not going to be able to live without a certain figure, get there early. AFAIK, it can be mental when Bamba gets hit hard with a bunch of fanboys, so be warned it might not go too smoothly! Like I said, I haven't had to be sat online at an ungodly hour for something I've wanted yet - I may make an exception for the rest of the 2000ad line, but they might, might be released at UK friendly times like the first Tharg was. I've based that on hope more than anything!

6. There are retailers who carry them - you pay a bit more than on Bamba, but you can just order up without the time bound aspect. However not all releases get a retailer version. The retailer variations thing is not likley  going to apply to the 2000ad line, but who knows? (UK seller - http://www.onesixthbruce.co.uk/)

7.Weep uncontrollably as your wallet won't stay shut for 3A toys  :lol: I got Tharg in hand last July, then leapt straight in, I couldn't help it!

Hope that helps. The man/scanner that is Ming has posted much of this before now and in greater detail. I wouldn't have had a chance without his info dumps! I know there are plans to start figure specific threads when sale dates, prices etc are announced.

M.

Cheers for the bullet points, Mikey and Ming! I just felt like I was drowning in information while wading through the last 40-odd pages.

Now I just wait... (and save!)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ming

Quote from: Banners on 03 February, 2011, 04:02:28 PM
Quote from: ming
Ash sometimes enjoys whipping his fans into a frenzy over surprises like the Popbot Kitty pack, but he's also amenable to putting stuff aside for people who miss out so he's not a total sadist).

Are there still some popbot Kitty packs available then ie. at lower than eBay prices?

Hah, probably not, unfortunately.  They just popped up and disappeared.  There's a teeny (tiny, microscopic) chance that some sets might still be lying around, I guess.  At the end of last year (I think, memory fuzzy) Ash had a clear-out sale of some old stuff that they found - this included much sought after figures that see stupidly high eBay prices - and sold them at the original retail prices.  A bit of a feeding frenzy for that little lot, as you can imagine.  If there's another similar sale at some point and some Kitty packs go up, I can let you know (but realistically the chances of success are slim-to-none).  Feel free to p.m. me if you want me to keep an eye open for reasonably priced single Kitties, though.  Might be a better bet than chasing via eBay.

A similar pack of Labradors appeared (on a whim) during another recent drop - Ash set me up with a set even though I missed out when they briefly appeared for sale, but mainly 'cos I wanted them for my boys, really.  Nice gesture!

Mikey

*ahem*

Ming'll be along shortly with a dedicated thread no doubt! No mention of a date yet, but I can almost smell the vinyl...

He's fuckin superb!

M.

radiator

That is a lovely piece of work - McMahon-tastic!

Don't go in for toys or models or anything like that - especially not expensive ones like this - but that is a thing of beauty!

TordelBack

Mikey

Quote from: radiator on 21 February, 2011, 09:14:19 AM
That is a lovely piece of work - McMahon-tastic!

Yeah, I love the way you can tell it's based on McMahon. Jeebus, this has made me happy!

It's still possible that he'll go on sale this month, so anyone interested, get ready!

M.

Pete Wells

That's soooo cool. Just wanted to put the other image up to give an idea of scale:

Yup, I'll be getting one of these.