Main Menu

Milligan & McCarthy collection due in September from Dark Horse

Started by ghostpockets, 12 April, 2013, 12:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostpockets

Apologies if this has already been posted about somewhere else but I am pretty stoked for this...

http://arecomicsevengood.tumblr.com/post/47730615238/solicited-to-come-out-in-september-from-dark

I had heard rumours but this is the most solid thing I've seen so far.

CrazyFoxMachine

JOE SOAP

Colin YNWA

Yeah very exciting news. Some of the stuff in there is next too impossible to get hold of at a decent price. Looking forward to this one.

ming

This is going to be a bit special - having so much Milligan & McCarthy goodness in one collection will be fantastic.  For many, this will be the first chance to read a lot of classic stuff like Skin, Strange Days, Rogan Gosh, etc.  All in full except Hoax and Sooner or Later and the early Freakwaves (which will be abridged, with commentary - and Brendan's editing the whole package).

Tharg - we still need a Sooner or Later reprint!

:)

Frank

Quote from: ming on 12 April, 2013, 11:37:03 AM
This is going to be a bit special - having so much Milligan & McCarthy goodness in one collection will be fantastic.  For many, this will be the first chance to read a lot of classic stuff like Skin, Strange Days, Rogan Gosh, etc.  All in full except Hoax and Sooner or Later and the early Freakwaves (which will be abridged, with commentary - and Brendan's editing the whole package).

I've already have some of those, but I don't think I've ever managed to buy any comic without missing an issue or two, so that book's still definitely getting bought. I can't remember the last time I raked out the issues of Revolver I have, so seeing Rogan Gosh again will be a treat.

hippynumber1

Very excited to see this on its way - I've got Skin tucked away somewhere and, Saucie, I haven't dug out Revolver to read Rogan Gosh for donkeys...

Has anyone seen it listed anywhere for pre-order?

Ming - nicely modest Sir, but I think you should mention 'you know what'!

Colin YNWA

Its got at official solicitation from Dark Horse.

QuoteTHE BEST OF MILLIGAN & MCCARTHY HC
Peter Milligan (W) and Brendan McCarthy (W/A)
On sale Sept 11
FC, 264 pages
$24.99
HC, 7 3/4" x 11"
One of comics' most fruitful collaborations gets its due in this deluxe collection of hard-to-find gems from Peter Milligan (Hellblazer, X-Statix) and Brendan McCarthy (Judge Dredd, The Zaucer of Zilk There is still nothing else like Freakwave, Paradax!, Skin, and Rogan Gosh, and this volume is the ideal starting place for new readers! Collecting twenty years' worth of the pair's finest work from Vanguard Illustrated, Strange Days, 2000 AD, and Vertigo.
• Rare classics of action and satire!
• Brand-new restoration and commentary!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44863

So glad this is finally here. I solid my copy of Skin not that long ago when this was first muted as I knew I'd get this as it had a load of stuff I don't have and I have a policy (which I almost always stick to) of not duplicating stuff. So finally having it listed is a relief!

Frank

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 12 April, 2013, 07:32:14 PM
Very excited to see this on its way - I've got Skin tucked away somewhere and, Saucie, I haven't dug out Revolver to read Rogan Gosh for donkeys... Has anyone seen it listed anywhere for pre-order? Ming - nicely modest Sir, but I think you should mention 'you know what'!

The Tundra Skin is a beautiful little book, and just the way it looks and feels still gives me pleasure, but seeing the prices it's going for online makes that Milligan and McCarthy collection look like an absolute steal. I can't imagine too many here aren't familiar with the story behind that strip's journey into the world, and knowing how ignorance and corporate politics almost made it one of those comics folk only hear about through talking to old-timers - and which you have to resort to dodgy means to get your hands on - only underlines the importance of keeping it in print and available to new readers.

Frank

I too would enjoy hearing Ming talk about 'you know what'. And possibly the other.

Spikes

If your refering to what i think you are, then this release will be a very special thing indeed for Ming.
Couldnt have happened to a nicer chap, and a more dedicated McCarthy addict.

ming

Aw, shucks.  'The Thing' being referred to above is the Strange Days commission that Brendan did for me a while back - included in the Best Of collection, possibly as the closing image in the book.

I did briefly mention it in The Strangeness thread: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,36079.msg748260.html#msg748260

There's a ginormous image of this in my CAF gallery (and the pencils, if anyone's interested) - link below.

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 August, 2013, 04:49:05 PM
Currently £12.72 to pre-order on Amazon.co.uk

Good price.

Always try to avoid using Amazon, but then they throw prices like that at me and being the selfish fool I am I buckle! Ordered.

ming

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 August, 2013, 04:49:05 PM
Currently £12.72 to pre-order on Amazon.co.uk

Good price.

For a 264 page hardback (especially this 264 page hardback) that seems like a very good price...