Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 October, 2012, 10:15:15 AM
District 9, inspired by my love for Dredd3D.  Hey, that was really good!  Particularly loved the locations and the alien weapons, and some of the performances in the 'interviews', and was surprised to find Wikus' character arc so engaging .  Not that I think these kind of ground-level films need over-arching explanations, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what the aliens' story actually was?  Why was [spoiler]the miracle fluid in tech scattered across the settlement[/spoiler]? Was Christopher a typical alien, or were there different castes?

I also re-watched District 9 a while ago! Its a really superb sci-fi flick; Wikus is absolutely insane! I cannot wait to see how a sequel will pan out - will Wikus regain his human identity? Will he become their saviour? Its a tantalizing prospect!

I think in answer to your question TordelBack; I too do not know how the miracle fluid was scattered across the settlement. Could it be that when the small part of the ship broke off, these fluid's also fell down, getting scattered about in the process? And seeing as theres a lot of alien weaponary about, available readily - then other aspects of their technology should be available too it would seem. But its a part of the story which isn't explained too well.

As for Christopher, I don't know. He does seem more intelligent than the rest of his bretherns doesn't he? Maybe he was the pilot of the ship, or was indeed someone more higher up in their 'caste' system, if there is one. I have a feeling that maybe there was some sort of ordering in their society, but all that was lost due to their displacement and refugee status. Its a really stunning piece of film-making. And alongside MOON, some of the best output of 2009.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JOE SOAP

Spikes

You miss the Prometheus thread, dont ya.

JOE SOAP

judgefloyd

just watched Iron Sky with my son.  It was good fun and pretty much exactly what I expected.  The PalinPresident was a hoot, the whole thing was a bit camp.  Would have been awesome on the big screen

I, Cosh

Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Manages the not insignificant trick of overcoming the fact that the title character is an odious cunt of staggering proportions to be tremendous fun.
We never really die.

Gonk

"Grease". This film must have cost two pence to make. I'd given up hope during "grease lightning" and quite nauseous by "oh Sandy". This would look atrocious on the big screen.  Crap costumes, crap songs and everyone talks in a silly voice.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Mabs on 13 October, 2012, 10:35:16 AM
I also re-watched District 9 a while ago! Its a really superb sci-fi flick;

District 9 is a triumph, and a film to be shoved in the faces of Prometheus apologists as an example of how to leave questions and mystery whilst still maintaining a coherent plot and building an interesting universe.

JamesC

Quote from: fonky on 15 October, 2012, 04:05:02 PM
"Grease". This film must have cost two pence to make. I'd given up hope during "grease lightning" and quite nauseous by "oh Sandy". This would look atrocious on the big screen.  Crap costumes, crap songs and everyone talks in a silly voice.

Grease is awful. I used to feel like a spoilsport for moaning about this film in the mid-nineties when everyone seemed to think it was spun gold. It's actually a pretty horrible story with a shitty 'moral' anyway though so now I just silently judge anyone who says they like it - I find it's a useful social barometre.

Spikes

I actually kinda have a bit of a soft spot for Grease..
My sister got dragged along to watch Star Wars with me at the pictures, and i, had to go along to see Grease. Her copy of the soundtrack LP was played constantly, so by osmosis, it all seeped in a little bit.

But 70's childhood nostalgia aside, the last time it was on Telly, i did think it was a pile of crap.
Songs are still pretty catchy, though.  ;)

SmallBlueThing

I have loathed Grease since the seventies, and have been cursed with it being the dvd of choice in every single residential home, daycentre and challenging behaviour unit i have ever worked in. The only positive is it's slowly becoming usurped by Mamma Mia.

Er...

SBT

JOE SOAP

I much prefer Saturday Night Fever. Better class of leg-wear.

Albion

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 15 October, 2012, 07:02:23 PM
I have loathed Grease since the seventies

I too have loathed Grease since the seventies. I have never seen the film but I remember the crappy songs being on Top Of The Pops for weeks on end and that is why I hate it so.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 October, 2012, 07:56:22 PM

I much prefer Saturday Night Fever. Better class of leg-wear.

Good girl gone bad in gynaecologically exact clam diggers, or Tony Manero's floor dusters? Hmmm. Bolland might have used Debbie Harry's face as inspiration for Anderson, but it's Olivia Newton John's arse I see in the later pages of Judge Death Lives.

Tiplodocus

Madagascar 3.

Never seen one of these all the way through before but I enjoyed it. First thirty minutes is hilarious japes in Monte Carlo and the rest is pretty batshit crazy as well with a beautifully abstract show of colour and light and 3d for the circus segment.

Was in an independant cinema in Newton Stewart a small town in Galloway. Nice art decoder affair. I wish we had a wee cinema like it in our home town.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!