Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 15 November, 2013, 11:55:18 AM
Predator 2
It's not great, but I still love it.  It is at least as good as the first one.  I like Danny Glover as the lead, very different than if they got a Arnie clone.

Indeed. It's not utterly brilliant, but it's very, very watchable.  There's something really appealing about the daft 90s setting and futuro-casualwear, Danny Glover's team of central-casting misfits, and the hilarious rasta-gangsters.  The opening shoot-out, and the setpieces in the metro and the deep freeze are all elaborate and visually distinct from each other, and who doesn't enjoy Glover getting respect from the other hunters?  Also, everyone involved has clear motivations, relationships and a little story of their own, and stuff happens against a backdrop which while very silly is at least original and coherent. 

Sometimes I prefer it to the first one.  Might be the nudity quotient.

JOE SOAP

Heresy: I prefer Danny Glover to Arnie.

Recrewt

I really like Pred 2.  I remember around the time of its release that everyone was writing it off because it didn't have Arnie it but I think Danny Glover is more than up to the task.  I really like him in this and his Lt Harrigan is as good as Arnie's Dutch in the first one.

I did also like the way the other Preds respect Danny at the end.  It also hints that the Preds have been coming here for some time (which I know is also mentioned in the first one) and I always thought something based in the past would be an interesting setup for Pred 3.

Pictsy - with regard to the AvP films, they're not great but I would suggest you have a look and decide for yourself.  They really are no worse than Predators.

pictsy

Quote from: Recrewt on 15 November, 2013, 03:38:35 PM
Pictsy - with regard to the AvP films, they're not great but I would suggest you have a look and decide for yourself.  They really are no worse than Predators.

I've seen them already.  The question I'm toiling over is whether I should watch them again or go straight on to watch Predators (which I've also already seen, but don't remember being as bad as everyone is saying).

Recrewt

Quote from: pictsy on 15 November, 2013, 03:47:53 PM
Quote from: Recrewt on 15 November, 2013, 03:38:35 PM

I've seen them already.  The question I'm toiling over is whether I should watch them again or go straight on to watch Predators (which I've also already seen, but don't remember being as bad as everyone is saying).

Oh right - in terms of sequence its all over the place.  I think I read somewhere that Predators is meant as a sequel to the Original Predator film.  The two AVP films are prequels to the aliens franchise.

Professor Bear

I found AvP2 even worse the second time I watched it, compounded by the picture being so dark and shaky that it is often impossible to tell what is happening onscreen.  The first one was an okay monster mash-up if you don't try to analyze it too much.

The Sweeney.  Words fail me.
There's this guy, yeah?  And he plays Carter, yeah?  Well 'e talks like this or summink all the time yeah?  I jus wannu punch 'im, yeah?  Inna froat a few times, shut 'im up, like.
Awful.  Just awful.  If Hot Fuzz had all the jokes taken out, everyone took it deadly serious, and it was also complete shit maybe - maybe - it would be close to being as pointless, cliched, meandering, stupid and charmless as this stool of a film.  I just watched and as time went on thought "why?  Why would you use actual human money, hire an actual cast and crew, and then go out and shoot this film?  Why?  Why would they do this thing?  Why would they not make something better?  Why?"  It's not even so bad it's funny bad, it's not so bad it has a surreal air bad, it's just not in any way good.

Spikes

And yet, itll probably get a sequel, and Dredd wont...

Professor Bear

If it gets a sequel, it'll be because they spend no money on scripts or actors.

JamesC

The Sweeney is easily one of the worst films I've seen in the last 5 years. Mainly because it is so absolutely boring.
I don't know how anyone could make a Sweeney film so dull. The source material is basically about car chases, duffing people up and casual sex and alcoholism. It was never going to be art but I was expecting a fun mockney action film.

Theblazeuk

I watched some of The ABCs of Death on Netflix. Lord that was terrible. I only made it to J before turning off.

So I then watched The Raid which was excellent and am now following up with Dredd. Cracking

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Jack on 15 November, 2013, 04:41:16 PM
And yet, itll probably get a sequel, and Dredd wont...

Trivia: The Sweeney (with Nick Love) was the film DNA were going to make before DREDD but then FOX Searchlight withdrew support a few weeks before filming.

The shell company DNA set-up to produce The Sweeney was then re-regitered to DREDD.

shaolin_monkey

Sharknado! It was utter shite.  No, it was brilliant!  Or was it just shite?  I think it it might have been excellent.  No, no, it was utter bollocks. AAARGHH! I JUST CAN'T DECIDE!!!

pictsy

My Predator marathon had to take a break as I am currently doing some house-sitting (and they don't own any Predator DVDs).

So last night I watched Underworld whilst doing some sketching.  Two reasons to love this film - Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy.  Kate Beckinsale is certainly pretty and does an OK job coming across as an action starlet but she has been irrevocably tainted by Total Recall (remake).  She was awful in that awful film.  Although she is better in Underworld, it is clear their are great limits to her acting and the film is carried by others.  It's a fun Vampire/Werewolf action flick and I really never expected anything beyond what it is.

NapalmKev

Quote from: pictsy on 16 November, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
My Predator marathon had to take a break as I am currently doing some house-sitting (and they don't own any Predator DVDs).

So last night I watched Underworld whilst doing some sketching.  Two reasons to love this film - Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy.  Kate Beckinsale is certainly pretty and does an OK job coming across as an action starlet but she has been irrevocably tainted by Total Recall (remake).  She was awful in that awful film.  Although she is better in Underworld, it is clear their are great limits to her acting and the film is carried by others.  It's a fun Vampire/Werewolf action flick and I really never expected anything beyond what it is.

Each to there own but I thought the Underworld films were absolutely awful. A lot of my friends think they're great so perhaps It's just me.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Ghost MacRoth

It's not just you.  The suck ass. 

There's wonderous visuals, some top actors, cracking effects, and a not entirely shite storyline, but somehow none of that matters.  They still blow goats.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!