The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

von Boom

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 March, 2021, 08:20:51 PM
Free the police.
Make them independent with direct public funding/accountability. Get them back to upholding the law for everyone and away from enforcing legislation for the few.

You want judges? because that's how you get judges.

Professor Bear

The good news is that the pigs what bashed-up those women at a vigil didn't go rogue after all.
The bad news is that they didn't go rogue.

Tjm86

... yet politicians are trying to paint it that way.  Apparently kneeling on women was an 'operational decision'!

Fair point.  Then again if you turn around and tell coppers that they need to treat people turning up to vigils as criminals what do you expect.

Contrast this with police responses to traveler funerals during the lockdown.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 March, 2021, 08:11:49 AM

I mean, I would, but I don't have the slightest clue what the police response to traveller funerals was?

Professor Bear

A strung-out, under-resourced and undermanned police force with nothing to lose and everything to gain by brutalising anyone with a camera?  That can only end well.

This shithole of a country is currently brewing-up the perfect recipe for accelerationism and at this point, I'll take it.  Anything to bring this nightmare to an end.

The Legendary Shark

"Anything to bring this nightmare to an end."

Those are truly terrifying words.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 20 March, 2021, 09:35:30 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 March, 2021, 08:11:49 AM

I mean, I would, but I don't have the slightest clue what the police response to traveller funerals was?

Leave 'em to it.  Massive gatherings?  Go for it.

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 March, 2021, 06:15:53 PM

"Anything to bring this nightmare to an end."

Those are truly terrifying words.

The country turning into Chile circa 1973 is slightly more worrying to me tbh.

The Legendary Shark

It's the charismatic psychopaths with all the answers waiting in the wings that worry me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 March, 2021, 07:21:32 AM

It's the charismatic psychopaths with all the answers waiting in the wings that worry me.

On the bright side there aren't many of those in British politics ... certainly not 'charismatic', or intellectual lightweights, much less welterweights.

On the fringes there are plenty of charismatic types to be sure ... Piers Corbyn, Nigel Farage, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon ... but they have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot as soon as they open their mouth in certain circumstances.

Granted the likes of Johnson are of far more concern ...

The Legendary Shark

This person doesn't have to be British, in this interconnected and interdependent world. If enough people in enough countries are sick of their governments it might not be too hard to convince them to let the good old UN, or similar, take over. For our own good, of course. Just until things get better.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

You know, I'm not even going to try to disagree with you.  Social media has so much to answer for.

I wonder how long it will be before someone decides that Zuckerberg needs to be spending time in the Hague?

The Legendary Shark

As soon as his usefulness is at an end.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]