Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 28 March, 2021, 08:31:49 PM
Doors (2021)

A sci-fi with minor horror elements.  Is actually a portmanteau (which is entirely my thing) but not a good one. 

Did you mean anthology?  If not then I am very interested in a film that can be described as a portmanteau.

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 28 March, 2021, 08:49:14 PM
Quote from: repoman on 28 March, 2021, 08:31:49 PM
Doors (2021)

A sci-fi with minor horror elements.  Is actually a portmanteau (which is entirely my thing) but not a good one. 

Did you mean anthology?  If not then I am very interested in a film that can be described as a portmanteau.

yep anthology/portmanteau.  Basically it's four separate stories based around the one scenario.  It didn't feel like one when I was watching it (oddly) but at the end each part had separate credits and then I realised.   It just felt kind of disjointed up until then.

pictsy

Ahh I see, it is a term used, it would appear, mostly with horror anthologies.  Thinking about it, I've seen it used before and feel a little silly for asking now.

I'm actually disappointed because I thought there was a film that's start had the beginning of one story and the end had the conclusion of a different story. 

milstar

Angels & Demons

Slightly better than DaVinci's Code. More dynamic and the plot is less preposterous and I can say I slightly enjoyed in the film. Even though it completely is set in one location (Rome). Hanks does his usual routine (I still don't find him credible enough in this part), but at least here he explains the plot while running as opposed to standing in a darkened room and doing the same. The movie break apart in the last 20-25, but it's less than I can say for DaVinci's Code.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Professor Bear

Sweetheart - never heard a thing about this one, and I like me some survival films, I do, and no, I have never watched Castaway starring Tom Hanks, a film which I hear is possibly the finest example of the survival movie genre, because why on Earth would I watch a film that is good and I will enjoy when I can watch Asylum movies featuring Kevin Sorbo?
Anyway, this was good, so of course I watched it by accident.
A young woman is washed up on a small deserted island with her mortally-wounded friend, and things just get worse from there.  Oh boy do they ever get worse from there.  There's a wild animal that attacks at night and before you start groaning about yet another allegorical duel between civilised man and the untamed beasts of the wild, don't worry, the "animal" is actually an evil HP Lovecraft fishman devil beast from a deep dark pit at the bottom of the ocean and he comes at night because he is READY TO FUCK.  Though not literally, I mean it's not a rapey thing, he just wants to tear people to pieces and eat them.
It's not rocket science or anything, it won't change anyone's life, it just gets in and entertains you for 90 minutes and then leaves before it gets weird because it knows the deal and this was never meant to be a long term thing.  You wanna watch a Robinson Crusoe movie where a lady runs around trying to stab a big fish monster with a stick?  Well this is for you.  If you don't want that... well, I wouldn't blame you.  It kind of sounds silly now I type it out.

Hawkmumbler

Lunacy by Jan Svankmajer

The gods ode to both Poe and De Sade is just 90's minutes of debauchery and Daliesque surrealism and it absolutely brilliant. For people who watched Salo and said there wasn't enough sentient tongues.

zombemybabynow

watched 'bringing out the dead' yesterday

what a dark[ish] but glorious film, superb music too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TMg9WlKgsU
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Funt Solo

Quote from: Professor Bear on 29 March, 2021, 12:52:47 AM
Sweetheart ...

Thanks for the recommendation - that was my best movie of 2021 so far.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

The Stupid Film Where A Monkey Fights A Lizard And It Cost A Quarter Of A Billion Dollars To Make - I enjoyed it overall, even if it suffers from the excessive runtime that plagues a lot of blockbusters and there's a lot of superfluous scenes that could have been dropped, but having said that, it might have benefited from a few more scenes to flesh out the characters, because even by monster movie standards, these are pretty thin caricatures, and there's a whole bunch of people just milling about and I just have no idea why they're even there.
The makers do, at least, give some thought as to how the monsters move around the screen, because this is the first of these big paggas I've seen where you can actually tell what the kaiju are doing at any given moment, even through all the cgi screen clutter, and there's even some nice touches like when Kong smashes his dislocated shoulder back into place by slamming against a building and you can see loads of people falling to their deaths - or when Kong puts his giant monkey axe - which he retrieved from a giant throne at the Earth's core where it was charged by lightning - in the side of a building for safe keeping and when he pulls it back out, you can see where it's set the building on fire and loads of floors are engulfed in flames and people are dying by the dozens, some even jumping to their deaths in a recreation of footage of the September 11 attacks.  Like I say, it's full of fun little touches.
I liked how Godzilla attacks from the water when he first challenges Kong, and how Kong attacks by jumping off buildings and swinging from things when it turns into a more stand-up fight and you think "ahhh - they are using the advantages offered them by their respective environments and now Kong has the upper hand!" [spoiler]and then Godzilla just gets right up and curb-stomps Kong and makes him his punk monkey bitch so badly that it only stops when Godzilla literally gets bored with it and fucks off home.[/spoiler]  Best bit is when Godzilla is randomly trashing Hong Kong (although it had "Kong" in the name, so maybe he thought this is where he'd be hiding) and realises that Kong is at the center of the Earth fighting giant bats (as one does), so just sits there shooting Godzilla lasers at the ground until he shoots all the way through the Earth to where Kong is, and then Kong looks into the hole on one side, and Godzilla looks into the hole at the other and screams (in Godzilla) "FUCK YOU!" and Kong screams back (in King Kong) "FUCK YOU!" and then he climbs all the way to China and they have a big fight.  Whatever my criticisms of the state of what I will for the sake of argument call modern cinema, I must admit that yes, this is absolutely the kind of thing I want to see and would pay the better part of 20 quid to watch.
I know some people prefer the - ugh - gritty realism of the first Godzilla movie and lament the move towards cg spectacle, but I liked this one, where they go to the Earth's hollow core and fight giant zombie cyborg monsters and do clearly identifiable wrestling moves on each other.  It's a completely, utterly, hopelessly stupid film that probably works better as a critique of capitalism, but Godzilla help me, I did enjoy that.

Barrington Boots

That sounds horrific on so many levels!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dandontdare

That sounds horrific awesome on so many levels!

Hawkmumbler

It's a kaiju movie in it's purest and most wholesome sense. No Snyder 'vulgar auterism' apologia here, I adored my big dumb stupid kaiju schlocky nonsense from beginning to end. All of it, it was awesome.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I watched GODZILLA v KONG too.

A film in which I knew what was going to happen having seen no trailer.

A film filled not so much with plot holes as plot voids. (Wait, there's hole tunnel that leads to a lost world at the centre of the Earth?)

A film that makes the city of Hong Kong look curiously like a mid-eighties night club. (Seriously. Every building has neon lighting along the edges).

A film which is fun and exactly fulfils expectation.

This is a remake of yer 70s Japanese epics. Go into it expecting that, for that is what you get.
Lock up your spoons!

Professor Bear

Statistically speaking, there were probably some people who got 110 minutes into Godzilla vs Kong - having just watched a giant monkey fight his way to the Earth's core so he can smash his way into the throne room of the Kong people to claim a magic axe powered by lightning so he can fight an evil robot Godzilla made from the reanimated corpse of a three-headed space dragon - and were thinking "well maybe if I stick with it, it'll change lanes in this last half hour".

pictsy

I didn't bother with that Godzilla movie because it looked boring, but I did see Skull Island.  It wasn't great and probably wasn't dumb enough.  Based on that I was going to skip this, but I'm getting sold on the idea of this film now.