Main Menu

Steve Yeowell or Fraser Irving - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 11

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 May, 2021, 06:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Before the last three votes of last week this tourney looked over as a competition with Classic team storming into a 6 : 1 lead. But Current Team don't know their beat and managed to rally with three straight wins. There is still a gap but its a lot closers at 6 : 4.  S knowing the draw this week is super important for the Current Team, you could well argue that it contains its strongest field of any week, they need to pick up points here.

So starting with The Mighty Yeowell is not a bad way to go, even if he did go out in the second round of the Current Tourney. Few have had such an impact, on so many great series, over such a long time as Steve. I've never hidden my personal belief that he is one of 2000ad definitive artists and a personal fav. So I was a little disappointed when he drew another artist I adore (mind how many times has that happened for folks in this competition) in Simon Fraser, who drawing Steve Dillon didn't get out of the first round of his tourney, but no shame in that at all. Irving's art is so distinctive and bold can even the Mighty Yeowell topple him?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Steve Yeowell - more info

OR

Frazer Irving - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Thursday 20th May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

I can't imagine anyone drawing the lion's share of Zenith other than Steve, plus we have his Devlin trilogy and The Red Seas. Fraser has done outstanding work on Judge Death and others, bringing backs of atmosphere.

Steve Yeowell 3, Fraser Irving 2.

TordelBack

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

CalHab

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Tomwe

Pretty even split from me on this one.

Steve Yeowell - 3

Frazer Irving - 2

AlexF

I fear that, excellent as it is, Yeowell's art has not inspired me for the last 15 years or so, whereas Mr Irving came in with a bang and managed to develop his style even across the handful of years he was in the Prog.

Irving 4, Yeowell 1

(I did very much admire Yeowell's work on Zenith, and loved his first three books of Red Seas - but something has fallen away since. Maybe he's just paired up with the wrong colourists?)

milstar

Uh... this is tough. Too bad the votes cannot be split.

I'd have to go with Frazer 3, Steve 2 (sorry Steve)
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JayzusB.Christ

It is hard.  I'm not a huge fan of the stuff Steve does these days, but Zenith makes up for it all a million times over. 
Steve 3, Frazer 2
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 May, 2021, 06:52:37 AM
So starting with The Mighty Yeowell is not a bad way to go, even if he did go out in the second round of the Current Tourney. Few have had such an impact, on so many great series, over such a long time as Steve. I've never hidden my personal belief that he is one of 2000ad definitive artists and a personal fav. So I was a little disappointed when he drew another artist I adore (mind how many times has that happened for folks in this competition) in Simon Fraser,....

Well of course he didn't did he, he drew Fraser Irving. Bother Frasers (surname or forename) are favourites of mine so there is NO excuse for me getting brain muddled there is there!

I also did a 'their' instead of 'they're' as well but that's the type of nonsense I guess you are all used to by now!

Magnetica

Gawd damn it my first thought was was an easy five nil to Steve Yeowell. And then I remembered Frazer Irving drew the Simping Detective, which is possibly my favourite ever Megazine strip (tied with Lawless and Insurrection).

And yes recent efforts on SinDex are not quite at the Zenith level of brilliance.

So on reflection:

Yeowell 3 : 2 Irving