Main Menu

Prog 1927 - A Town Called Malice!

Started by A.Cow, 18 April, 2015, 04:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 April, 2015, 11:45:31 PM
I actually like the idea that their are a shit load of Stixisisisis throughout the universe, all from one very hectic, dense family. They are suitably creepy and effective antagonists for Johnny to face each time.

I like the Family Stix idea too - a neat way to get around the eternal Dredd/Alpha conundrum of killing off your best villains... that said, a whole town of them raises more questions about Stix than it answers.. though if you think about Stix generally, that tends to be the case!

Colin YNWA

Interesting Prog with a few of strips having steady episodes with a step down in pace. Orlok was the main exception, but that wasn't a good thing. Black Widower, after such a big set up[spoiler] dismissed just like that[/spoiler] and just what was that last page about? Am I being thick, was it just meant to be a humorous aside?

Dredd was likewise not so much a steady episode but it was quite superb. How scary was thay Klegg in the first panel. Rob Williams and Henry Flint have created a compelling story with the escapees on Enceladus, o much so I barely noticed the lack of our man Dredd, nor did I care. Quite superb.

A heck of a lot happened in Strontium Dog and yet it was all so deftly handled, so supremely presented that Wagner and Ezquerra were about to give us what felt like a bit of a breather while hurtling the plot forward quite a bit.

Much more classic slowness and intraspection could be found in Slaine yet in a very different way Pat Mills and Simon Davis did a very good job of making it fascinating reading, probably the best episode of this current run to date and looking forward to seeing whats next.

Grey Area very much made a point of being a slice of life, quieter episode, okay so slice of life in this case being a bunch of police personel stranded in an alien colony, frustrated in their attempts to alert their 'supervisors' to the looming universal threat. Its quite brilliant and I loved this episode, in what has been a great story to date.

What a steadily fantastic prog.

Geoff

Great prog this week, full house for me - loved the cover and enjoyed all the stories!

Dredd and klegg always a good combo and the Sovs turning up was a surprise.

Even enjoyed Slaine this week but mostly for the Massimo flashbacks.

Orlok's enjoyable if rather confused at times. I'm normally a fan of b/w art but not so sure about this.

Grey area - sexy aliens and an amusing shower scene, what's not to like!

Loving Stronty Dog and this week especially the artwork over the last few pages. The shiny digital colouring can make the art
look a bit flat but those last few pages look great.

Good prog Tharg - keep up the good work!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 April, 2015, 06:17:39 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 18 April, 2015, 05:12:25 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 18 April, 2015, 04:53:38 PM
Haven't read mine yet but I adore the cover.

Wonder if that's a bit of a sneak preview of the Strontium Dog fan film costume, given Greg Staples Dredds...

Geek alert! *** Stixville certainly seems to undermine if not openly contradict the ending of The Stone Killers

No, it's not.

As for Stixville - I wouldn't say it necessarily contradicts Stone Killers, there was already a cousin in Blood Moon - might just be that the new Stix are children of the original brothers.

Or there were more and the father thought they were dead - wouldn't be the first time the Stronts have been framed.

I Googled for a Strontium Dog fan-film when I saw that poster and all I got was this....

Strontium Dog - Cops & Robbers

Shame about the way Slaine appears to be going....

ThryllSeekyr

Keep watching that You-tube link I put up for more 2000AD related videos. Including the well known Horned God Trailer and some documentary that was made in 1989 involving some words from  Alan Moore in the beginning.

jabish

I don't think the return of the Stix diminishes them at all. As has been said; its even creepier if there's loads of them. Loving Strontium Dog at the mo. Classic thrill. A strip that I do think is giving diminishing returns is Orlok. Just not sure what the point is. Orlok in the Dredd (and Anderson) strip was always a terrific and serious villain. What exactly is the point of this strip? I don't imagine people were crying out for Orlok the early years but fair enough if the pitch is strong and compelling. Unfortunately I don't think this is and its comedy overtones does actually diminish him a bit as the villain we knew and loved. I like the art but not the strip. Pity. Sometimes they should just let the dead villains stay dead.

Link Prime

Quote from: jabish on 22 April, 2015, 10:38:38 AM
Sometimes they should just let the dead.... stay dead.

That Johnny Alpha, eh?

Keef Monkey

Great prog this week, and was a chance to give my new tablet a spin (had been reading on a Nexus 7 for a while and that starting to play up coupled with how good the Dark Justice art was prompted me to upgrade to a 9) and everything looked fantastic.

Cover is brilliant. Really, really brilliant.

Dredd is doing a great job of building suspense and dread about what's in store, and Aimee Nixon is one of the best ongoing characters the series has seen in the last few years so always great to see her reappear. She's had a great arc.

Orlok I'm not quite getting, the tone hasn't really clicked with me. I like the art but can't say I'm gripped by the story. The last series seemed very serious and this one is (I think?) going for more of a wacky approach, but it's not really grabbed me yet.

Slaine I've been enjoying more than usual recently, Simon Davis taking over on art has massively revived my interest in the series. Haven't felt very invested in the character for years, and this has got me sitting up and paying attention again because it just looks AMAZING.

I love Grey Area, and it's always been good as these kind of character episodes. Choice of artist is perfect.

Strontium Dog is something that (like Slaine) I'm mainly in for the art, as Ezquerra is one of my favorites so I'll always get some enjoyment out of anything he does. I've kind of forgotten what's going on mind you, but that's probably more to do with my swiss cheese weekly memory than the writing.

ZenArcade

Got to say how much I'm enjoying the new line up, there isn't really a bad strip in 1927.

Dredd is by far and away the best. The writing and art are literally stunning. That Sov ship is nothing but a big fat lunch hamper I feel.

Delighted with the prog at the moment. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Timothy

What exactly is the Stixes mutation. They look a bit weird, and all the same, but has it ever been specifically spelt out what their special features are?

ZenArcade

Not too sure, after all there is at least one intervening nuclear war and FTL between us and them. At a guess medical advancement engenders survival from close interbreeding. The result seems to be an amoral psycopathic, focussed near clone type with a penchant for super futuristic duster coats and brimmer hats. Z 

And if memory serves an ability to penetrate concrete ets with their hands.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 22 April, 2015, 07:06:38 PM
What exactly is the Stixes mutation. They look a bit weird, and all the same, but has it ever been specifically spelt out what their special features are?

Well you've answered your own question there.

They don't have any 'powers', if that's what you mean. Johnny's almost unique in the Stront universe in that he does. I think the Stixes are cooler for the fact that their bad assery is due entirely to their bitter, cussed natures and nothing to do with being mutants.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Great Prog.

Nice cover - good to see Mr Staples had time to do something else as well as Dark Justice. He is pretty much the stand out cover artist for me over the last 3 or 4 years. Still a bit odd to see anyone other than Carlos drawing Alpha though. Slight nick pick - hasn't the SD Agency been disbanded and so Alpha and the Stixes shouldn't be wearing SD badges and indeed it doesn't follow that all the Stixes have  to be SD agents. (Carlos gets it right inside).

Dredd - great episode. Good to see some-one try to negotiate with a Klegg. You some how know that is never going to go well.

Orlock. As some one else said, I am not sure whether this is meant to be funny or not, but the tone just doesn't fit with the Orlock from Block Mania. Ignoring that, I'm enjoying it well enough.

Slaine. I like the Masimo tribute and the first page  of that really served to contrast the older Slaine with the younger Slaine. Some how the older / current Slaine seems beaten down / tired by all that has happened to him over the years. However...now I do like a good story arc and things that happened earlier to have meaning later on....but this is, I think, at least the 4th time we have had the Wickerman story (the original with Masimo, a catch up at the start of the Horned God and a re-appraisal in the Book of Scars). I think we have also had the story of Slaine's mother's death two or three times. Its ok to show how it is affecting the older Slaine, but it is beginning to feel a little repetitive.

Grey Area: ticking along nicely.

Stronitum Dog. Best thing in the Prog alongside Dredd. This feels just like one of the capers Strontium Dog does so well. I really prefer Strontium Dog when it does this kind of story rather than the whole mutie-norm war stuff.
Really glad it has moved on from the resurrection stuff as well.

Steve Green

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 April, 2015, 07:39:51 PM
Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 22 April, 2015, 07:06:38 PM

Well you've answered your own question there.

They don't have any 'powers', if that's what you mean. Johnny's almost unique in the Stront universe in that he does. I think the Stixes are cooler for the fact that their bad assery is due entirely to their bitter, cussed natures and nothing to do with being mutants.

The original Stix could dig his hands into concrete to climb down a building in the Schicklgruber grab.

Also put the frighteners on Harvey, but probably just intimidation rather than a rival to Alpha's powers.

I remember toughened skin being mentioned somewhere.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 April, 2015, 08:25:17 PM
The original Stix could dig his hands into concrete to climb down a building in the Schicklgruber grab.

Oh yeah.  :-[
@jamesfeistdraws