Main Menu

Wonder Woman 1984

Started by Apestrife, 09 December, 2019, 05:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Vince

The opening scene was great, a strong, action filled sequence that would surely carry on through the rest of the film...

And then the next scene promptly shat the bed.

[spoiler]I watched the mall scene with something like incredulity and whispered to my wife "is this a kids holiday movie?"
If you had created a generic super heroine and make a Hallmark Xmas movie about her saving precocious kids from comically inept bad adults it could not have been worse that this. As that scene ended, I just had a sinking feeling that surely the rest of the movie cannot be as bad as that.
But it was.

The whole premise of people wishing for things was bad enough, but then to have the climax of the movie being everyone in the entire world then giving up their deepest wishes in order to save the day? FUUUUCK!!!!
I watched this movie on Boxing Day, still pissed that I paid money for it.
Also - Jimmy Steve and his reaction to things in the 'future' - funny the first time, but then that joke got run into the ground again and again.

And finally, the crowning turd in the cornflakes - Lynda Carter's cameo at the end. FFS, what a waste....

End Spoiler, End Rant.
[/spoiler]
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Rara Avis

I totally missed the cameo - not spoilering that in case other people want to catch it to. When does it happen?

Omg how could I forget about the [spoiler]sassy black child and WW as saviour of shopping malls and consistent consumerism?[/spoiler]

And then the final Christmas market scene ... [spoiler]where she meets the guy who Steve was possessing and he's wearing the outfit that Diana wanted Steve to wear but he thought it was stupid but it's exact way that she styled him, oh I guess it's just meant to be !!!! Vomit.[/spoiler]

Rara Avis

[spoiler]Also in Egypt - the parents of those children run a stall on a main road - THOSE CHILDREN SHOULD KNOW TO WATCH FOR TRAFFIC AND SO SHOULD THEIR PARENTS. [/spoiler]

Angry Vince

Quote from: Rara Avis on 16 January, 2021, 07:50:02 PM
I totally missed the cameo - not spoilering that in case other people want to catch it to. When does it happen?

As I recall it -
[spoiler]
Just about a minute into the credits, there a scene where a mysterious woman in a blue cloak & cowl is walking past a cafe. Something happens (I forget what) to cause a massive pole to come crashing down towards some of the people outside the cafe. The mysterious woman reaches up and using her obviously supernatural strength, stops the pole from crushing anyone.
"Wow! How did you do that, Mysterious Woman?" asks a patron/victim/survivor/patsy.
"It's something I learned, something something*, in my home country. By the way my name is Mysterious Name from Themyscira." says the Mysterious Woman who turns to the camera to reveal herself to be Lynda Carter (TM)
Cue shocked gasps retching and disappointment from the audience who have had their collective childhood put into a blender and then used as an enema.
Roll further credits.

*It was word for word what Wonder Woman said she she thumped that creepy dude in the park earlier in the movie. I'd remember what it was but I've been flushing the memory of this movie out of my mind with tequila and home made cough syrup.
[/spoiler]
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Rara Avis

[spoiler]A simple shift of weight etc .. also Lynda Carter is Asteria the Amazon that got left behind to hold the line ..
and she also saves a baby!

This is bullshit, she went from stopping wars to saving babies and shopping malls ..[/spoiler]

IAMTHESYSTEM

At £15:99 I can give this a miss till it's available to rent. The reviews have not been kind, and it appears that the DC Films Universe still hasn't quite found the right story path for its stable of characters. Let's hope Wonder Woman soldiers on to better fare and the upcoming Batman movie re-energises the DC brand.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Rara Avis

DC films are always flawed in the same ways - not enough focus on the plot and too much CGI. If they could reverse those trends they could make some good movies.

Rately

I really enjoyed Winder Woman, the best of a not terribly good bunch of DC movies, but I'm dreading the watch now considering reviews I've read, and opinion on here.

The DC movies thus far have been dreadful, which is a shame, because with the characters and stories they have to mine, the movies they've come up with have completely missed the Mark with strange character choices, terrible CGI and scripting, and Zach Snyder treating Superman like some sub PS2 gritty hero/Avenger.

At this stage, they need a miracle to turn these movies around. I'm just perplexed as to why they didn't just give James Gunn free reign on all the characters and scripting. At least his movies have heart and emotion.

Bad City Blue

A fun film whilst I watched it, but actually thinking about it after, I realised all the terrible writing and horrendous plot really didn't work. Messy as hell, DC should be shamed that they held on to it for so long and didn't change it for the better.

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rately on 18 January, 2021, 10:42:00 PM
The DC movies thus far have been dreadful

I thought Aquaman was as dumb as a box of rocks, but knew it and managed to be quite a lot of fun as a result. And Shazam was great.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 January, 2021, 04:33:52 PM
Quote from: Rately on 18 January, 2021, 10:42:00 PM
The DC movies thus far have been dreadful

I thought Aquaman was as dumb as a box of rocks, but knew it and managed to be quite a lot of fun as a result. And Shazam was great.

I can't agree with Aquaman, though I think Jason Mamoa was great casting, but Shazam is just bloody brilliant. Great casting, a lovely, emotional script that hits the mark and some great comedy.

Had completely forgotten about it, and must add that to the list for a re-watch.

Hawkmumbler

Yeah Shazam! is consistently excellent, even gets in a proper ye oldie PG-13 'Is this for kids?' sequence.

repoman

Shazam works by not feeling like a DC movie and instead just feels like a Kick Ass type of thing.

There isn't a DC movie yet that wouldn't benefit by being an hour shorter at least.

I thought WW84 was just terrible.  It's amazing just how bad the writing was and I still don't really buy into Gadot. 

Better than Aquaman though.

von Boom

Mardroid

I didn't mind Aquaman. I.e. I enjoyed it well enough but there's lots better and I'm not in a rush to watch it again.

So, since I seem to have a lower enjoyment threshold than a lot of other people, I'd imagine I'll like Wonderwoman 1984 ( or whatever it's called).

I remember when I knew it was being streamed on Amazon, I did looked forward to watching it... then saw the rental price.

I didn't expect it to be the same price as regular rental since this is a cinema release alternative but, that's actually more than I pay at the cinema!

Depending on the cinema of course. Since prices are more, others less. And I guess I'm paying for it to be sent to me too rather than having to travel, but then there isn't the cinema experience either, so it's all swings and roundabouts. Bit then I think,  I could buy the film for around that price in less than a year's time!

Anyway, putting it off for now.

Oddly I am very much looking forward to the director's cut off Justice League this month although I liked the Whedon version. (Another film everyone else seems to dislike.) I don't think I'll be able to put that one off, although I'm still uncertain at four hours it won't drag. I'm just... so.... curious... (Yes I remember the one about the cat.)