Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 04 May, 2020, 12:25:58 PM
'Errementari' on Netflix, well worth a punt!

Lots of great performances in this one and it seemed like the dub isn't that bad either (though I watched it subtitled in the original language). I was a little surprised by how it seemingly [spoiler]turned into a comedy halfway through after a very dark start[/spoiler] and it goes places I wouldn't have anticipated but I found it very enjoyable. Great visual effects, too.

Big fan of this! It was on at Frightfest a while back and I've been meaning to give it a rewatch since, if it's on Netflix then I'll need to get on it.

Also very into Tron Legacy, it works on all levels for me as a great looking, great sounding sci-fi spectacular, love it. Haven't watched the original in years but I remember finding it surprisingly slow and dull when I did, taking away the nostalgia I think Legacy is easily the superior film by a long way, even if as a kid the eerie look of the whole thing left a massive impression. Got the animated series on my Disney+ watchlist so looking forward to seeing it at some point.

Being massively behind the times (and with Disney+ making it easier to watch) I finally got round to Toy Story 3 last night and it was great. Not much new I can say about it because I know everyone saw it years back, but it really is a heartwarming lovely experience, and yes I cried (twice).

Apestrife

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 May, 2020, 04:54:51 PMIf it's Corbucci, you can't go wrong with Django or The Great Silence.

I'll definitely check out The Great Silence. Looks great, and also Klaus Kinski stars in it. "Loco" is a fitting name for him haha. Saw Django 15 years ago. I remember it being really good. It and Great Silence could do for a nice double bill. Thanks for the suggestions :)

This morning I saw princess mononoke. Not seen it in years. Lovely film in every way. Surprisingly brutal at times.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OiMOHRDs14

wedgeski

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 May, 2020, 09:30:04 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 04 May, 2020, 09:21:32 AM
I love the original Tron and didn't think the sequel was up to much -- maybe I'll give it another go.

I think the problem with Tron: Legacy is that a lot of people didn't think it was as good as the version of the original movie they have in their heads. However, the version in their heads is a lot better than the actual movie which, a handful of memorable and genuinely visually ground-breaking scenes aside, is actually pretty sluggish and a bit dull.*

*IMO, YMMV, etc.
Well, I've watched it a ton, so that wasn't my problem. :) It has a lot of problems, but it's also pretty short, and sums up a lot of 80's cinema for me, especially in its soundtrack. I guess I wanted Legacy to be Tron, but with all the bad bits removed.

karlos

Wicked City (1987) and Demon City Shinjuku (1988)

Never saw these back during the early 90s anime craze, but noticed they are on YT.

And yeah, these are some crazy stuff - beautifully, and brilliantly, done at times.

They certainly wouldn't get made in the same way now (it was alright in the 80s, etc), but for the most part these are fantastically imaginative animations that make me want to seek out the rest of director Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work.

repoman

AvP - I hated this in the cinema but it is kind of watchable now.  Certainly better than Requiem (my most hated film ever), Prometheus (flawed) and Covenant (breathe on the nostrils of a horse ponce nonsense).  I enjoyed it.

Guns Akimbo - fun Daniel Radcliffe shoot 'em up but I've never seen a film try so hard.  Kind of like Crank did but doesn't pull it off nearly as well.

This is the End - despite feeling like a vanity project for the actors this was pretty funny and enjoyable.  Liked it way more than I expected.

Universal Soldier - an old favourite and one that has stood the test of time quite well.  Top three Van Dammage for sure.

Killing Zoe - my favourite heist movie.  Amazing performances all round.

Keef Monkey

Watched Blood Quantum on Shudder, just as I thought every idea for an apocalyptic zombie movie had been done I feel like I've seen a handful with unique spins on things lately! This one is set in the '80s on a Native American reserve, with its wrinkle being that only white people seem to catch the zombie virus, while the Native Americans are immune. It makes for an interesting setup and it's got a good look about it, with the effects being pretty decent throughout.

Liked the characters too, my only gripe was that some developments or events seemed a bit rushed and could have done with more time to simmer, maybe another 20mins of film to set up some of those turns more gradually would have been nice. It's very, very grim so definitely not for everyone, but if you're into zombie movies I reckon it's worth a watch.

repoman

Good shout that.   Watched it today and liked it.  I usually dont rate zombie flicks but this had the tone of Near Dark but with the silly gore effects of something much more daft.

Cheers, Keef.

MacabreMagpie

Watched the most recent True Grit adaptation last night after reading the book in April.

Everyone has leaped to tell me that I should watch the original movie but I really enjoyed this and it's extremely faithful to the source material, save for an extra scene or two. Hailee Steinfeld in particular gave a great performance as Mattie Ross, but everyone was on point. Most of the characters were just how I'd imagined them.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 11 May, 2020, 11:32:56 AM
Watched the most recent True Grit adaptation last night after reading the book in April.

Everyone has leaped to tell me that I should watch the original movie but I really enjoyed this and it's extremely faithful to the source material, save for an extra scene or two. Hailee Steinfeld in particular gave a great performance as Mattie Ross, but everyone was on point. Most of the characters were just how I'd imagined them.

Yeah if you've read the book the Coen Brothers version is a beaut and ya know Coen Brothers so...

Hawkmumbler

"Time just...gets away from you."

TordelBack

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 11 May, 2020, 11:32:56 AM

It's a beaut in every respect. Don't get some of the dislike I've seen for Bridges' mumbling delivery, it's spot-on and generally exactly as intelligible as it needs to be. He uses it to tread a wonderfully fine line between shambling hasbeen and ice-cold killer. Much prefer it to the Wayne adaptation (which I do like), but that contest is a bit unfair since I love almost everything the Coen brothers have ever signed their names to, whereas my early hero-worship of Wayne has been tarnished by mature understanding that he was a thoroughgoing prick.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Void

On Amazon.

The illegitimate child of  From Beyond and Prince of Darkness

Great 80s style horror. One of the most true takes on the Lovecraftian mythos I have seen on film. Total WTF ending.

I liked it.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 May, 2020, 01:32:27 PM
The Void

On Amazon.

Great 80s style horror. One of the most true takes on the Lovecraftian mythos I have seen on film. Total WTF ending.

I liked it.

Oh that's good to hear. Added it to my watch list on Prime but haven't got around to it. Might just elevate up the ordering in this case.

von Boom

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 May, 2020, 01:32:27 PM
The Void

On Amazon.

I liked it.
Prince of Darkness is one of my favourite horror films. I'll definitely check out The Void. Cheers, Dr. X.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I also enjoyed The Hive on Amazon.

The illegitimate child of Memento and Dawn of the Dead
Lock up your spoons!