Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

A British Film Icon, sad news indeed.
"Trust we"

Goaty

RIP great actor :(

radiator

Oh dear, how terribly sad. I have a huge amount of affection for the man. A national treasure. RIP.  :'(

Spikes

Quote from: Dunk! on 30 April, 2014, 03:13:02 PM
A British Film Icon, sad news indeed.

Very much so. So many superb performances, but, like a lot of folks - I guess, my personal favourite will always be A long good Friday.

RIP, Mr Hoskins.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 April, 2014, 01:39:16 PM
Bob Hoskins. Blimey.
Initially read this as Bob Holness and got a bit wistful about childhood quiz shows. Realised my mistake and then remembered Bob Holness is already dead.

Multiple bummer.
We never really die.

Daveycandlish

Crikey. Wasn't expecting that one - not so soon anyway. :-(
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

GrinningChimera

R.I.P Bob.

A great actor.

A great Super Mario.

Heath C Ackley

A truly great actor. I can remember as a kid watching a series of shorts he made for the beeb in the seventies promoting adult education. He put in fine performances in Pennies From Heaven, Mona Lisa and Twenty Four Seven. To witness an actor at his best watch the last scene in The Long Good Friday. Without a word, Hoskins expressed so many emotions; rage disbelief regret fear and hopelessness. A sad loss for drama and us all.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Goaty

Quote from: ZippoCreed on 30 April, 2014, 09:22:48 PMTo witness an actor at his best watch the last scene in The Long Good Friday. Without a word, Hoskins expressed so many emotions; rage disbelief regret fear and hopelessness. A sad loss for drama and us all.

Hoskins On That Final Shot: "For that last shot John Mackenzie said I'm going to put the camera on your face Bob for five minutes and I want you to just think your way through the film. I said, "You're fucking joking, ain't you?" So I thought my way through the film and there you see it in the final edit.

'We drove all round London for that scene. What I learnt from that was that if you was thinking the thoughts of your character, whatever you are doing is right, it is conveyed in your eyes and body language. The camera can see your mind. It takes quite a bit of concentration. You feel exhausted afterwards. But it's worth it.'"

RIP Bob.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Agreed that final scene in The Long Good Friday is still one of the finest film moments in British Cinema. Sorry and a little surprised to hear he's gone.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Heath C Ackley

Thanks for that Goaty I haven't heard about that interview before.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Skullmo

Al Feldstein - EC editor / writer / artist and the man who took Mad Magazine and made it into an institution!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Daveycandlish

Efrem Zimbalist - American character actor, father of Stephanie (co-star in Remington Steele) and voice of Alfred in the Batman cartoon, at the age of 95
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

COMMANDO FORCES

Elena Baltacha aged 30

Former British Number One in ladies tennis has passed away due to liver cancer, which was only diagnosed this January. Very sad, especially as she had battled illness all the way through her career!

Here's a link to a report ELENA BALTACHA

Dandontdare

Colin Pillinger, of the ill-fated Beagle 2 mission to Mars