Main Menu

Star Trek 2009

Started by Goaty, 20 July, 2008, 10:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I hope Kirk punches first and debates later!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "JamesC"I hope Kirk punches first and debates later!

Lets hope his not a Liberal !
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Gavin_Leahy_Block

will there be Klingons and if so will they have the head ridges, or not?

Roger Godpleton

I want the vaunted axe handle strike and I want it yesterday. And I don't really mind if his a liberal.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mardroid

It's weird, I've had dreams about the new Star Trek film these last couple of nights. Quite amusing too, although if my 'dream scenes' end up in the film it could be a bit rubbish. One involved little remote control robot things scuttling around, and for some reason I was there as a member of the crew trying to control mine and it went havoc. I ended up grabbing it and ripping up the battery. Yeah, no logic compared to the show at all, so I'm not sure where that came from. Actually, I think I do, the fire alarm in my house is oversensitive going off when you cooks something, and my sleeping mind somehow combined the two disparate things.

The other dream involved Spock having an affair with Kirk's current girlfriend. (No explicit scenes mind. Thank God. The girl was a hottie though.)

Very silly.

I am rather looking forward to this film though. I'm not all that into the original series (or the spin-offs for that matter, although I got into the later series of Voyager and nearly all of Enterprise.), but I have a soft spot for the films (with the original crew, although I'd make an exception for First Contact. The Borg were actually pretty scary in that one) and the universe as a whole.

I know what Peterwolf means about the actors not seeming to take their films seriosly though. Wrath of Kahn had a good balance. My personal favorite was The Undiscovered Country, but that bit at the end where Shatner says [spoiler]"Well, we've saved the universe again..."[/spoiler] felt a bit off.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Star Trek is very optimistic about the human race but you can't help feeling this reflects America's status in the world. When America does well (the 60's,80's and 90's) the Star Trek franchise does well but now and during the 1970's there has been a 'void' period with the most recent TV series 'Enterprise' cancelled due to being crap.

September the 11th, the global credit crunch and that cretin in the White house optimism is in very short supply so I hope the fim does well though I actually prefer the dark and dystopic world of our own man in black -JUDGE DREDD !
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

the shutdown man

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

the shutdown man

The first proper pics of the crew are out, and they give me a geeky thrill.  Anyone else think Karl Urban looks surprisingly older and "Bones"-ish?

Tweak72

Can't... Breath... Nerdgasm... Overwhelming my... mind...
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

TordelBack

Still think Pegg looks a bit out of place as Scotty, but I can't fault Urban's McCoy - amazing.  Skinny Kirk is a riot, and I love the uniform textures and phaser turrets.  I think after these images we can forget the "respects established continuity" guff (why did they bother?), and just sit back and enjoy a good-looking reboot.

Mardroid

The actress playing Uhura doesn't look much like Nichelle Nicholls though.

And is the guy at the back supposed to be Sulu? I find it amusing that they match up the caucasian actors who look at least something like the original actors, but they pick any east asian guy to play Sulu. They did the same thing with the young version of George Takei's character in Heroes too.

Interesting that they're going for uniforms quite close to the originals though. I figured they might go for something more military or naval.

Mardroid

And whilst I know Simon Pegg is playing Scotty, I didn't recognize him in that poster.

TordelBack

The actress playing Uhura doesn't look much like Nichelle Nicholls though.

No, but she is seriously easy on the eye.  I wouldn't let it worry you, Chekov is all but unrecognisable too - although to be true to the spirit of the original casting he should look like one of InsertGenericBoyband, so job done.   I am amused by the brief nerdflap over Kirk's black tunic.  Doesn't really take much thought to see what's going on there.

Hey look at me, I'm excited by a Star Trek movie.  Yon Abrams knows how to hype.

Goaty

the shutdown man

That bridge looks excellent. The Bones "deep in thought" look, Kirk gritting his teeth, the female redshirt/cosmic cheerleader..... it's all too much!